BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:56:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:34:04 AM EDT

Quoted:

I think the only difference between my the FNPs and the Pro series is that the decocker on the Pro-9 is able to be clicked up to the safe position, and the FNPs it is merely a decocker. Ive only got to play with the FNP-40, and this was the case on this particular pistol. No safe, just a decocker. Therefore carrying an FNP 9 cocked would be kind of dangerous. I do know for a fact that the Browning Pro's decocker is also a safety since I own a Browning.  Anybody have any other info, please feel free to correct me or comment.

I replaced my Beretta 92 with the Pro-9 for a carry weapon for the exact same reasons. The double action pull on the 92 is horrible. I would end up pulling it and waiting, almost cringing while I wait for the hammer to drop.  The Pro-9s double action pull is crisp clean and very easy. The pull on the single action is so light I have to be careful to prevent inadvertant double taps.

Finally the Pro-9 is a lot easier to carry. Its so light weight and compact, that I hardly notice its there.
Compared to the Pro-9 the Beretta carries a lot more heft, and to think I used to carry a 1911. The length of those two handguns makes concealment more difficult as well.

I hope this helps you out in your search..

You pretty much summed up what I am thinking.  I really loved the feel of the Pro-9, I just wish it was available with a black slide.  It is not as far as I know.  The FNP 9 might be alright in SA though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:52:07 AM EDT

Quoted:
Cataclysm,
I will find out for sure for you.
When I saw them at the NRA show last April, I recall that the SA version was SA only. It did not have a de-cocker and would not fire in the DA mode.  It only had a safety like a 1911.
If the Browning Pro9 had a de-cocker and a safety, that would be like a Variant 1 HK USP.  I think that would be pretty damn cool.  

I will see you guys at the SHOT show on Thursday or Friday.

I straight single action I think would work just fine.  

Yes the Browning I saw was set up exactly like the USP Variant 1.  Its exactly what I want but I don't want the Stainless colored slide.   I like the USP, but I think am really set on the Pro 9 and FNP 9 style pistols.  I have a FiveseveN and love it , so I think I am becoming an FN pistol snob.  

From what it looks like it is the safety on the Browning that sets these beasts apart.  Does it also make the Browning cost more?  The one I checked out I believe was just over $500.  I am hearing that the FN is going for around one bill less.  

Like I say, i wish that there were some around here to check out.  I might be happy with the SA only.    Although if I can get the Browning with a black slide I may just shell out the extra dough for it.

While your chatting with the reps from FN tell them to get some pistols up here to the midwest.      Although if I need to, there is an FFL holder here who should be able to handle an out of state transaction.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:27:45 PM EDT

Quoted:

I straight single action I think would work just fine.  

Yes the Browning I saw was set up exactly like the USP Variant 1.  Its exactly what I want but I don't want the Stainless colored slide.   I like the USP, but I think am really set on the Pro 9 and FNP 9 style pistols.  I have a FiveseveN and love it , so I think I am becoming an FN pistol snob.  

From what it looks like it is the safety on the Browning that sets these beasts apart.  Does it also make the Browning cost more?  The one I checked out I believe was just over $500.  I am hearing that the FN is going for around one bill less.  

Like I say, i wish that there were some around here to check out.  I might be happy with the SA only.    Although if I can get the Browning with a black slide I may just shell out the extra dough for it.

While your chatting with the reps from FN tell them to get some pistols up here to the midwest.      Although if I need to, there is an FFL holder here who should be able to handle an out of state transaction.

Ive seen an FNP-40 with the decocker only, no safety...
The strange thing was it had a stainless steel slide like the Pro-9/40.

I think if you are really hard up, just get a bluing kit and blue the slide
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:42:35 AM EDT
Any word back from the shot show yet?  I am really looking forward to getting one of these pistols.  I checked out the Browning Pro 40 today and love it, but the FN is just a better deal.  The Browning only comes with two mags and the cost on the one I saw was about $560.  But did have the manual safety as well as decocker.

Can Talon Arms get the Single action only pistols as well?  I am curious about price difference and the night sight option as well.  You guys got a pretty good deal going on right now with the DA/SA FNP-9's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:12:10 PM EDT
Bump.

-DmL
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:05:38 PM EDT
Interesting.  Is it known with certainty that the "SA" versions do not have a decocker or double action?  As TalonArms mentioned, if they have the control setup like the USP V1's have, plus ambidextrous, and at the price these are... would be very enticing.  If they could get a .45 out that would be really cool.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:40:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:36:58 AM EDT

Quoted:
Sorry for the delay. I get so damn busy I can't check AR15.com everyday.

The FNP  SA will be SA only with a thumb safety. No de-cocker. They did not have one to show at SHOT, but tthey did have one at NRA (weird) No date on availability yet.

The Browning is like a V1 HK. It has a safett and a decocker. However, the decocker is the old style that FN dumped before the new versions came out. In otherwords, it sucks. So don't expect the Browning version to work like a 1911 or even aHK safety. It is just not that smooth.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:14:59 AM EDT
What exactly is the problem with the decocker on the Browning?  Is it prone to failure?  I'm leaning towards it mainly because I can keep it cocked in the single action position.  The only time I would imagine having to drop the hammer is to unload.  Unless FN can get the single action FNP out soon this is the way I am leaning.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:17:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:24:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:01:40 AM EDT
I guess I can see what your are saying about the safety as compared to a 1911.  But I guess I really didn't see it as being that cheap.  It did its job and thats about all I noticed.  There are a few stores near me which are carrying both the pro-40 and pro-9.  I am just looking for something to replace my Beretta 92FS.  The double action trigger creep does not set well with me and it is becomming a little bulky for carry.  I am still looking forward to the FNP in SA, but am just looking at the Browning to get me through until then.  The only problem is the higher price tag and only 2 magazines vs. 3.  I am planning on taking as much pistol training this summer as I can and want to get a pistol set up going that I am comfortable with.   But,  I am still debating on the standard FNP.  It's just that I have damn near been traumatized by the DA pull of Beretta to where I want nothing to do with it.  I have not been able to handle the FNP, but the Browning DA does feel a lot better.   If I am spending the money, I just want what is going to work for me, which is why I wish I could find someone with one that I could test fire.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:59:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:32:02 PM EDT

Quoted:
I had no idea the Browning only came with two mags. Are they 16 round or 15 round?

From what it looks like they use the same exact same mags as the FNP, 16 rounds in the 9mm, and 14 in the 40.  Unless of course you run into the California correct model which is equipped with 10 rounders.  The last one I looked at was just that.  I told them to get in a real one then we can talk.  I have looked at the Browning up close at least 3 times.  I could swear the mags actually say FN MFG on them.  But I could be wrong.  I might have had a dream about that or something.  

IM sent about the used FNP.

Edit:  I sent an email to the sales department as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:17:49 PM EDT
I'm stuck in the PRK and looking for any 10 round FNP-9 mags if you lucky folks in Free America are switching out your old 10-rounders for high caps.  In fact, I bought my FNP-9 online and had to abandon the 16-rounders with the dealer since I can't "buy" them being from the PRK.  But the pistol was only $350 online, which was a bargin despite no magazines.

My FNP-9 is the all black version (slide, slide stop, decocker, etc.)

F.A.S. Out  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:07:15 AM EDT
 Just picked mine up from the store. If anyone needs more pics let me know.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:23:26 AM EDT
I think I'll go and order one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:57:20 PM EDT
Any new news on holsters?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:16:58 PM EDT
Talon arms do you match prices on the FN FNP?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:38:01 AM EDT

Quoted:

I have a Bladetech IWB on the way for mine.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:53:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:38:10 PM EDT
Picked up my FNP-9 today.  As for holsters, it fits my Fobus HK-1 (for HK USP models).  Rear trigger area behind trigger is exposed, but the weapon locks in good to the Fobus holster.  Haven't taken it to the range yet, but hope to soon.

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:23:15 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's interesting. I just emailed them and they said they do not produce a holster for it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:14:54 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's interesting. I just emailed them and they said they do not produce a holster for it.

They have it listed on their website.  Only available for IWB so far that I know of.  At the time I ordered it, it was not listed.  I called them up and talked to a nice young lady who informed me that they could make it but it would be 4 to 6 weeks out.  I think i just hit the 4 week mark.  I'll see what happens.  My original call was to see if the FNP would actually fit the fortynine holster they make.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:58:07 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have it listed on their website.  Only available for IWB so far that I know of.  At the time I ordered it, it was not listed.  I called them up and talked to a nice young lady who informed me that they could make it but it would be 4 to 6 weeks out.  I think i just hit the 4 week mark.  I'll see what happens.  My original call was to see if the FNP would actually fit the fortynine holster they make.  

I just looked harders and I'll be damned it is listed. Wonder why the responded to my email with a negative response?

If nothing else, I'll order it and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:47:53 AM EDT

Quoted:

I just looked harders and I'll be damned it is listed. Wonder why the responded to my email with a negative response?

If nothing else, I'll order it and see what happens.

I just got off the phone with Blade Tech.  I couldn't remember when I placed my order so I called to ask.  It was March 3rd so they said it should be about another 7-10 days.  They also said Kydex products are running about 6-7 weeks now.  Its usually 4-6 weeks.  They must be pretty busy.  I have no idea why they would give you a negative response on the availabilty though.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top