Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2012 11:01:15 PM EDT
Just bought a twin set of Ruger Vaquero Bisley's. Stainless steel, white ivory (simulated) grips, 45 LC and 5.5" barrels. I know hot hand loads are a no-no but are all the commercial loads ok? If not can someone suggest ammo to avoid? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to avoid the +P loads such as Corbon. They are fine in the old Vaquero but not the new.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
patchz, when did Ruger take a step  back?

Differences or dates between old/new Vaqueros if you have handy?

Generally mfg Ruger and Marlins good to go with Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon.

Inquiring minds and all that..

Best
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
So anything not +P should be good to go.  I don't want to take any chances of hurting the twins so I'll stay with 'standard'  loads.  I emailed Ruger but haven't heard back from them yet.  It is strange the new ones are considered weaker.  I also have a GP100 that is strong enough to shoot howitzer shells out of it. I thought Ruger would make all their revolvers tank tough.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The new Vaquero is marked RUGER NEW VAQUERO on the left side of the frame.  The original Vaquero is marked RUGER VAQUERO.

The new vaquero is smaller than the original, same size as a Colt SAA.

Here's an article that explains the differences.
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Good article, thanks.  I have no desire to shoot any of those hot loads in mine but I thought that someday if i take it as a backup on a hog hunt or something it would be wise to have a strong load in it. I don't reload so all my ammo is store bought which can be confusing sometimes when you aren't fluent in gunpowderology. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Differences or dates between old/new Vaqueros if you have handy?
Generally mfg Ruger and Marlins good to go with Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon.
Inquiring minds and all that..
Best
The posts above pretty much cover it. But I believe they quit making the old Vaquero in 2005. The new one is smaller and lighter, similar in size and

weight to a Colt Peacemaker. If someone is buying a new gun and wants to shoot heavier loads, they should go with the Blackhawk, not the Vaquero.

As I understand it, the Blackhawk is unchanged in relation to this.

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#7]
patchz, thankee.

.44 magnum is stout enough for this old man.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 4:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
A quick easy way to pick ammo for these guns is just stick with the "Cowboy" loads from the differant makers, Unless you are going to use the gun for serious purposes. Alot of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Best

It wasn't a step back back but rather a step forward in handing and carrying comfort.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Heard back from Ruger today. They said they don't recommend 45LC +P rounds because they are not a SAAMI cartridge. They said the New Vaquero is made to handle any 45LC SAAMI cartridge. Makes it easy, so basically, the same as what you guys told me, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You need to avoid the +P loads

This.  There is no such thing as a specification for a +P load for .45 Colt, so anyone selling one is selling an out of SAAMI spec load which could be absolutely anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top