Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2012 8:53:01 AM EDT
Was shopping at Cabelas today, and came across a Security Six in the case. Asked the guy to see it. I want, at some point, one of the old-school, classic revolvers, be it an older Smith, a Python, or an older Ruger. The Ruger is mostly my price point, as I don't want to drop over a grand on a Python as a "range toy".

The one in the case was a 4" model, blued, with adjustable target sights. Caliber was 357 Magnum. Had the full-size, original grips, and the thing was absolutely gorgeous. The thing was mint, had one little mark on the barrel, but the mark did not go through the finish. Overall, the gun still retained its deep bluing, and showed no signs of holster wear or anything of that nature. The finish was almost flawless with the exception of the mark on the barrel (which I didn't even notice until the salesman pointed it out). The grips were the wood, and were in excellent shape, just a minor ding or two on the very bottom of the grip.

Lock-up was nice and tight, and trigger was very smooth. The cylinder had a faint "turn line" in it, so I am guessing it was used, but very little (and I mean used, not abused).

I did notice though, that the read adjustable sight had a little wear, like the corners of the rear "block" had the finish worn, but the sight still functions okay, and looks fine. Just a minor cosmetic thing.

Overall, I would rate the gun roughly 96 to 97 percent, based on what I saw. The thing was gorgeous. No box or anything else was included however It felt really, really good in the hand, and balanced perfectly. I was really impressed with how the gun felt. My only "gripe" per say is that it felt rather slick in the hand. I am more used to the checkered frames on 1911's, and I really like a gun that "bites" into my hand.

This is what the gun looked like (not a pic of the gun, just one I found on Google):

So, here comes the rear reason I am posting on here. The price on the gun was $499.99, and the manager said it was firm. He said on some guns, the price is flexible, but others are not. I was not expecting to buy anything this soon, as I just purchased a CZ a couple weeks ago. From what I have seen before, $500 seems to be a fair price, but not a screamin' deal. If the gun was priced at $350 or $400, I would have bought it today, but $500 needs consideration. It is on a 7-day hold for me, for no charge, so I need to decide before next weekend.

So what do you guys think? Tell me a little about the Security Six, and if anybody has first-hand experience with the gun, that would be awesome too. And as always, pics are more than welcome as well
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]
These are rapidly going up in value, but $500 is too much.  I agree that $350-400 would have been fair.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
These are rapidly going up in value, but $500 is too much.  I agree that $350-400 would have been fair.

$500 is crazy.  They are no longer being made, have not been for awhile.

They are rock solid shooters.  Not a smooth and good looking as a Smith or Colt.

Go to any range and ask what revolver they have that has the least problems.  Ruger GP or Security Six is usually the answer.

You can get them all day for $300 to $350.

You can get Pachmayr or Houge grips for them still.  Feel much better than factory grips.

I say that price is high now but watch out.  Almost all metal framed guns are going up in price a lot, and will continue.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Too much by at least $100, more like $350 tops.

I paid $300 ea. for these six series revolvers, and the stainless 2 3/4 inch barreled versions always seem to go for more than blued.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
love my security six... but love my speed six even more
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with above posters that $500 is too high.  I have a Security Six and think it is a great revolver, but at $500 you have moved into used S&W 586/686 or 19 , which I would prefer over the Ruger.  Too much money, continue to shop around.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I agree with above posters that $500 is too high.  I have a Security Six and think it is a great revolver, but at $500 you have moved into used S&W 586/686 or 19 , which I would prefer over the Ruger.  Too much money, continue to shop around.  

Thanks so much guys for all the help.

I really wasn't looking for a gun to buy, it just happened to catch my eye when I was walking by the case. I already had one of the salesman helping me, so I thought "why not".

I will give them a call tomorrow and tell them to take it off hold.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Security Six and while it's a very nice revolver it's just not in the same league as my S&W 686. For $500 you should be in the ball park for a 686...
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, $45-$500 is too much. I have gotten a couple off gunbroker for between $300 - $350. At $300 I have no choice but to jump on them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Gave $ 150.00 for mine.....

but that was back in 1977. Gave it to my Dad that year for Christmas. Got it back in 2009 when he died. It will be passed on to my son when I die. To me it is priceless.

It is a 4 inch and wears hogue grips. I do have the original box and manual that came with it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]
As everyone said, $500 is too much. I paid about $100 less than that (and still too much probably) for this Speed Six about 6 months ago and it was LNIB with all the extras including the original shipper.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/palegoose/PA260011.jpg

I paid right at $300 for this Security Six about 2 years back and while it does show a bit more wear than what you describe it's a great shooter.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/palegoose/G%20and%20K/Ruger/Securitysix.jpg

I love Ruger Six series guns but I wouldn't pay $500 for it. Maybe if it was a lowback and NIB but even then I am personally not really in the market for collectables so I have passed on all the nicer ones I have seen.

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Crappy trigger, traded mine in for a 686.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought my blued Police Service Six for $175.00 used back in 1983. It's been with me ever since.

While a great revolver I agree that $500 seems too high and would keep looking.

As much as I like the old Rugers though - they are simply not as dynamic and fast feeling as the mid frame sized Smiths.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top