Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2009 2:33:13 PM EDT
My P30L has almost a "stamped" quality to it like the old Sig slides from Germany.

It could be the finish, but it doesn't seem like a forged or billet slide to me.  I'm not worried about it, just curious.  It even reminds me, in some ways, of the slide on my Bersa thunder, which I believe to be cast.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked for the picture but couldn't find it, but HK slides are machines from a block of steel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I looked for the picture but couldn't find it, but HK slides are machines from a block of steel.

Cool - thanks.  It had so many small details and tiny cuts that I was thinking that it might not be.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
They are certainly intricate slides.  A slide from HK costs like $450 or so.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They are certainly intricate slides.  A slide from HK costs like $450 or so.

Yikes!  Glock went the way of least number of cuts and most easily made to lower costs.  HK went the other way.  HKs are definitely more beautiful though.  That fits with the "no compromise" motto I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched some being milled at the factory in Oberndorf am Neckar.  Very cool.

I also held a USP frame that was still warm from the mold.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
When the tears of the gods fall from the heavens, over thousands of years they form a HK slide.

This is why we pay so much.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Here you go.  Not machined from a block of steel though.  Too wasteful, too long to machine.

And barrels?

Link Posted: 1/2/2009 3:32:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Thanks for the pics!  Can you describe what the process is?  I'm not a machinist, so I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to take away from the pics.

ETA: It almost looks like it starts as a casting and then is machined into shape.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 3:54:30 AM EDT
[#9]
interesting pics
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 4:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for the pics!  Can you describe what the process is?  I'm not a machinist, so I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to take away from the pics.

ETA: It almost looks like it starts as a casting and then is machined into shape.

Yup, you got it.  Barrels are made from 9mm blanks turned down on a lathe and the chamber area is machined with the locking block out of the excess material
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Really simple actually.  They start life as a forging and then HK CNC machines away everything that isn't slide.

Link Posted: 1/2/2009 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Really simple actually.  They start life as a forging and then HK CNC machines away everything that isn't slide.

Thank you.  That block of steel in the pics looks like it has a casting line all around it.  You definitely know better than I, but doesn't that seem indicative of a casting?
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  That block of steel in the pics looks like it has a casting line all around it.  You definitely know better than I, but doesn't that seem indicative of a casting?
It looks like a drop forging. I have tools that are, without doubt, drop forged, and that looks identical.

Link Posted: 1/3/2009 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like a drop forging. I have tools that are, without doubt, drop forged, and that looks identical.

Awesome - thank you!

It would seem incredibly unlikely that a gun that demands that kind of price point and has such a good reputation would use a slide made of casting.  But if I didn't ask, I'd always just be assuming .

Still, the slide has a quality about it that is completely different from other pistols I own.  I can't put my finger on it.  

Great gun - I'm sure it won't be my last HK.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#15]
If it holds up like the usp, it even cracks nicely.  And who could complain about the French barrels HK uses.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh SHIT I better sell my HK's b/c this jerk off does not like them. Cracked slides and barrels made in France time to sell fellas. Good advice coming from a TROLL.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it holds up like the usp, it even cracks nicely.  And who could complain about the French barrels HK uses.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

???Que?
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top