Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2002 4:51:42 PM EDT
Read the thread on firewall protection. Since I am wireless DSL access I installed Zone Alarm. Then I had no internet access. I used all the default settings. Anyone know whats up?
I have an Athlon 1.4 , 384 megs RAM, and XP Home.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone know whats up?
View Quote

Zone Alarm is now at work...
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]
OK I fixed it. I just shut IE down and ZA down and restarted. Seems Ok. Anyone out there have comments, tips about this program?
BP
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Zone Alarm is good, but a Linksys Cable/DSL 4 port Router/switch with firewall is BETTER!

AND

They're cheap now. (I paid near 200 bucks 2 years ago). Amazon is running a sale, you get the router & a digital camera for $59 or $69.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Zone Alarm might be preventing you from obtaining a DHCP lease.  

This does not seem to be a problem in Win9x, but the NT based systems (which includes XP home) work somewhat differently, and this does affect them.

Go through the list of services that are denied internet access, and see if something doesn't jump out at you.

Alternatively, go to a garage sale and find someone selling an old 486 based system and turn it into a linux based firewall.  MUCH better solution than ZoneAlarm.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OK I fixed it. I just shut IE down and ZA down and restarted. Seems Ok. Anyone out there have comments, tips about this program?
BP
View Quote

Uncheck the box for "Show the Alert Popup Window".  You're going to get tired of having it come up everytime someone knocks on your cyber-door.  And it will happen a lot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used Zone alarm, was not real impressed with it, now i am running it secondary to Norton Personal firewall, between th etwo of them I am pretty secure......

Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I use sygate personal firewall pro.  I like it better than ZA.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a dial-up I-net service and I use Zone alarm.
Sorry I can't help with your problem, but for me on my dial-up service, ZA works just great and I wouldn't discourage anyone from using the program.
After installing the program I was amazed at discovering the number of blocked hits/intrusions from unwanted visitors..
Yes, it does require some initial access setup, but once that's done it's kind of a "outta sight outta mind" operation with prompts popping up when needed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm on cable modem using Linksys cable modem, US Robotics wireless 4 port router and Zone Alarm. No problems here. Check your settings in ZA. If your security is set too high or you didn't permit IE access it will block. Also if you have it set to block once your screen saver kicks in or after X amount of time of inactivity you will need to tell it to unlock access. (a good reason to allow it to give the pop up message!)
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I am getting my DSL connection thru a four port router. Dont know what type. Its set up in the office 150yds away. There is no software firewall on that system. It runs out to a Netgear transmitter then Netgear reciever at my home. So far we're just testing it...for free!
I have ZA running fine now. I will be interested to see the attempts to intrude. At least for now. Thanks for the help. All I need now is AR15 e-mail address(that I sent my check for nearly a month ago) to lose my ATT dial up.
BP
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Ya, I using 3.0 and for some reason the alerts don't pop up anymore.  The ad blocker seemed to work though.  But I'm gonna ditch it after I get the Netgear MR314 wireless router.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
[url]www.smoothwall.org[/url]
Said to be better than a Cisco PIX firewall. A true firewall that is very effective.  I have one and its easy to setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top