Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2004 5:45:38 AM EDT
got any?

I killed 2 computers so far and one has worked..how bout you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Upgraded about 15 computers here, so far all have been a-ok.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Update seemed to go well. 802.11 connections work much better, faster. Pop-up blocker is cool and works well. But every so often I get a "Windows must reboot" pop-up that I never did before. That's bad. Typical MS. Two steps forward etc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#4]
faster wireless?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Installed it on four identical Dells (same model, bought same day, with drives copied from a fresh install), and one works fine and the other three won't boot.  Figure that one out.z
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#6]
34 systems. No issues.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Other than windows firewall not playing well with zone alarm and semantic (It's on by default) and power management, cd-rom and soundcard issues. It seems to be ok.

Our laptops and road warriors don't like it but the issues are settling out.

Best advice I can give folks having problems is:
1) Use msconfig.exe to kill all your TSRs
2) Restart
3) Set power management to Desktop/always on
4) Restart
5) Gradually turn stuff back on in msconfig
6) Find the problem app and update it
7) If no problem apps. Flash BIOS to fix power management issues.

The above came out of a SUS rollout to more than 2500 machines.

Note that we had quite a few machines come up with "missing file" errors on the install. You can just skip the file but the install will be hosed either way. (format and reload with a streamlined SP2 disk to fix this error)

Hope you find this helpful
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Installed on 4 of my computers with no problems, installed on two other persons computers, no problem.  Installed it on a third persons computer and the damn thing kept rebooting.   Did a system repair (HP computer) and was able to recover without having it on his system.  I won't put it on anybody else's but my own computers now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I used XP for the past week or so while waiting for my new video card. Once it arrived I went back to using linux.

Friends don't let friends use Windows.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The best thing about SP2 is the uninstall. Not too bad! Of course, I waited for the second release of SP1 before I installed that. So I will wait for SP2 second release before I install that garbage again. I have never installed an update from Microsoft that slowed my computer down so much that I couldn't surf the web, or control my security settings.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
3 computers
Running way better than before.

Jay
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I updated yesterday. I had to so my XP computer would recognize the 160 gig hard drive.  It wanted to only give me 137 gig.  Cheap skate.

Any way it seems to be doing OK for me.  Not to sure if I like the pop up blocker, time will tell.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#13]
i just downloaded mine, no problems yet
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Several machines here and at work.  Only a few firewall issues where we needed to allow certain traffic for applications.... thats about it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]
no issues here. had to turn off the virus protection and firewall as i already use symantec's. i noticed when it boots it doesn't say 'windows xp professioanl' anymore, just 'windows xp.' can't comment on the effectiveness of the pop-up blocker either as i have been using google's for a long while.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Had to remove it from one of the four computers I have it on.  Computer would lock up any time I right clicked any icon.  Only appears to happen on that one computer.  Disappeared when XP SP2 removed.  This is a home built computer, all four are, so it could be a compatibility issue with some hardware i.e. video card or driver that may not be in the other computers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Works fine here,,,  had to disable windows firewall as I had another one.. but did test it some seems to work just fine.   Popup blocker is  good..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top