Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/18/2008 12:46:45 AM EST
If someone owns firearms and keeps all of them locked up in a non readilly movable (500+lb) safe with a digital keypad that only they know the combination to, and this safe is kept in the same dwelling in which a convicted felon lives would that felon be in illegal possession of a firearm? It dosn't seem like they would even have constructive possession because even though they might have domaine over the room in which they are kept they cannot gain access to that safe.

If it came down to proving weather a felon knew a combination or not in order to prove access would the installation of a biometric finger print scanning lock be advisable? would it even help to fruther aid in the felon's case that said felon did not have illegal possession/access to a firearm?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:19:09 AM EST
According to some in this thread, it shouldn't matter if the person is a convicted felon or not.

I would tend to believe it does matter. A biometeric lock sounds like a soild answer.

Disclamer: I'm not a laywer, nor do I play one on TV
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:19:57 AM EST
I think you're good....... unless the guy's a safe cracker.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:29:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 5:30:46 AM EST by FightingHellfish]
It sounds like you have a felon living at your house and you are concerned that he could be charged with possession and/or your guns confiscated?

My understanding is that you are legal, as long as he is not in direct control of the guns.

However, if your felonious friend is on probation, parole or likely to re-offend ( or engage in the typeof behavior that invites LE attention) I would say that there is a chance that some over zealous LE type might take action against your property. If this is a family member with some type of nonviolent conviction from years in the past who is now a quiet citizen, odds are the cops would never visit you anyway.

The best 100% sure bet would be to not live with the felon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:02:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 8:03:29 AM EST by m1garand__man]
seems about what i concluded. wa state laws only say that a felon cannot own, use or possess a firearm. they don't describe what wa state considers a firearm or what would be considered a positive means of precluding possession. only the definition of constructive possession really hints at what might not be considered possession. its confusing but it allows a judge to make judgement calls for certain situations. even firearms at a neighbors house could be considered constructive possession if the felon is in their house where unlocked firearms they don't own are stored.

I figure the best thing to do beside the safe is to post the RCW's covering possession on the safe in case LE ever questions anything.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:49:54 AM EST
I can't remember if all of the firearms that G. Gordon Liddy's wife owns are protected from his possession by a safe with a biometric or combination lock.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:14:28 PM EST
It is not a very good idea to have a gun and a felon together under the same roof. It is asking for potential trouble.
Top Top