Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 10/23/2001 3:53:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2001 4:28:20 PM EST by variable1]
Found this on subguns.net and wondering if this is still the case? Just pay the $200 making tax and then can be transfereed as a $5 AOW. I would assume this would have no evil features restrictions either, right? ****** DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Washington, D.C. 20226 NOV 25 1997 F:SD:FTB:GKD 3311 Dear Mr. : This refers to your letter of November 6, 1997, requesting information on the manufacture of a firearm to be classified as an "any other weapon," as that term is defined in the National Firearms Act (NFA). You describe the proposed firearm as being manufactured using an AR15 type lower receiver that has never been assembled as a complete firearm and installing a "pistol length barrel," a rear pistol grip, a vertical foregrip, shrouded barrel and a flash hider. This firearm would utilize a detachable magazine installed outside the pistol grip. A firearm manufactured from the described components and in the described manner would not be a pistol as defined in either Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 178 or 179, nor would it be classified as a rifle or shotgun, not being designed to be held and fired from the shoulder. Further, it is not classified as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in Title 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44, Section 921(a)(30), hence it is not subject to the prohibition on the manufacture, transfer or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons as provided in Title 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44, Section 922(v). The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) has previously held that a firearm of the type described in your letter is classified as an "any other weapon" and is subject to all of the provisions of the NFA. Such a firearm could legally be manufactured and transferred by a Class II manufacturer. An unlicensed individual could manufacture such a firearm by first submitting an AT Form 1, APPLICATION TO MAKE AND REGISTER A FIREARM, to ATF. Upon receipt of the approved form, the individual could then proceed to manufacture the firearm. - 2 - Mr. We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry. If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us. Sincerely yours, [signed] Edward M. Owen, Jr. Chief, Firearms Technology Branch Something like this? And you could build it on a NEW never assembled lower? [img]http://www.jamdreams.com/adampics/AOW1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:56:48 PM EST
Yes $5tax stamp,you really don't have evil features with an AOW it's in it's own lil world.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:14:04 PM EST
Sure it's an AOW but have a title 2 manuf. make it no tax and transfer to you on $5. Not sure if Minnesota allows AOWs for citizens though
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:56:32 PM EST
Something they did'nt mention is make damn sure the forward vertical grip is not "readily" detachable or you might end up in trouble for building a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:09:58 PM EST
As variable noted, the transfer tax on an AOW is only $5, while the making tax is $200. It's cheaper to have a C2 assemble and register the weapon (probably charge a $100 fee or so), then transfer to you for $5, rather than pay the $200 to manufacture it on a Form 1 yourself.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:23:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2001 7:28:34 PM EST by variable1]
Ok then..any good C2's in minnesota? Thinking that a model 1 sales 7 1/2" flattop on a Hesse Kevlar lower should do the trick. About $575 plus the foregrip. or maybe an OLY OA-93 upper. How hard would it be to have an out of state build it and transfer it? [img]http://www.jamdreams.com/adampics/oa.jpg[/img]
Top Top