User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2002 1:21:03 PM EDT
[red][b] 0.252 seconds! holy shit![/b][/red]

[img]http://www.fastdraw.org/graphics/fd_fan-an.gif[/img]
set in Alberta, Canada in 2000. let the Canadian flaming begin.[;)]

[url]http://www.gunfighter.com/fastdraw/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't matter how fast you draw if you shoot the ground 5 feet in front of you like this person did.

They should add a requirement that you have to actually hit the target to make the draw count.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks more like he shot himself in the foot...

You sure the 0.252 wasn't his IQ?
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to the videos section and click on double blanks.

That guy is amazing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter how fast you draw if you shoot the ground 5 feet in front of you like this person did.
View Quote

Maybe he's shooting at a midget at the bottom of a hill!
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
In the words of Clint Smith...

"You can't miss fast enough to win."
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, here's the first flame.

Look at the holster.  Would you want to trust a weapon in that holster?  I wouldn't.

Look at how it's rigged.  It is NOT an authentic western rig.  It is a hollywood rig modified for fastdraw competition and rigged in a fashion that would be really uncomfortable any other time or for any other use.

This is also not a practical application fast draw.  The object of the competition seems to be to get the weapon out of the holster and discharged in the shortest amount of time with no effort made at even pointing the weapon in a safe direction or hitting a target. The firearm is actually discharging through the forward cut in the holster.

Fast Draw competition guns are often UNSAFE for live cartridges as everything in the lockwork has been modified heavily for speed.

You want a real test of fastdraw capability, set the person up with a conventional carry holster and a conventional carry gun, unmodified beyond normal self-defense tuning options.

Give the person a silhouette target set at 10 feet or so, and Q target would work well. The weapon must be carried in the same manner one would normally carry it for daily use. (i.e 1911A1 cocked and locked on a loaded chamber)

The contestant is required to jog in place at the firing point until the buzzer goes off, at which point they stop, draw the weapon, operate any manual safeties that must be operated and fire the weapon striking the target anywhere.

Pure speed counts, but center mass hits are worth extra credit for likely initiating a fast attacker stop.

That would be realistic.  Want even moore realism,  the attacking target should be moving.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
How do we know that guy was using real bullets?
This isn't a flame against Canada - really.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[red][b] 0.252 seconds! holy shit![/b][/red]
View Quote

I'm pretty sure Bob Munden has gone faster than that... [url]http://www.bobmunden.com[/url] says that he's done .23 before.  I think he did it on American Shooter one time.  He hits a target too!
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
0.252 is fast, however it is only with 5 rounds per Canadian law.[;)]

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Munden is bad. Period. He not only draws fast, he hits his target. I saw him bump fire a 1911 and it sounded like it was full auto!

Unbelievable gun slinger...I'm sure this quick draw kid would'nt have chance against Munden. While he was shootin' at ants, Munden would be putting a hole in his chest.

Yeah Big Bear...I saw him too. I thought to myself...if this guy were around back in the day. He would have been the baddest of the bad.

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That would be realistic.  Want even moore realism,  the attacking target should be moving.
View Quote

Yeah, and how about presenting from concealment?
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Okay, here's the first flame.

Look at the holster.  Would you want to trust a weapon in that holster?  I wouldn't.

Look at how it's rigged.  It is NOT an authentic western rig.  It is a hollywood rig modified for fastdraw competition and rigged in a fashion that would be really uncomfortable any other time or for any other use.

This is also not a practical application fast draw.  The object of the competition seems to be to get the weapon out of the holster and discharged in the shortest amount of time with no effort made at even pointing the weapon in a safe direction or hitting a target. The firearm is actually discharging through the forward cut in the holster.

Fast Draw competition guns are often UNSAFE for live cartridges as everything in the lockwork has been modified heavily for speed.

You want a real test of fastdraw capability, set the person up with a conventional carry holster and a conventional carry gun, unmodified beyond normal self-defense tuning options.

Give the person a silhouette target set at 10 feet or so, and Q target would work well. The weapon must be carried in the same manner one would normally carry it for daily use. (i.e 1911A1 cocked and locked on a loaded chamber)

The contestant is required to jog in place at the firing point until the buzzer goes off, at which point they stop, draw the weapon, operate any manual safeties that must be operated and fire the weapon striking the target anywhere.

Pure speed counts, but center mass hits are worth extra credit for likely initiating a fast attacker stop.

View Quote

================================================

i once was a member of the "Western Fast Draw Assn." my gun was a highly modified Colt SAA .45 LC, in fact i removed all the internal parts & replaced them with modified, honed & polished parts.., i got out of the sport, simply because of how ridiculous it got, the rigs were getting so far away from the original concept, & the shooter never had to have the gun leveled.., just clear the holster & fire was all that was required......

fast draw..., another sport ruined by extremeizim !!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
0.252 is fast, however it is only with 5 rounds per Canadian law.[;)]

SGtar15
View Quote

LOL.....once again Sgtar proves how little he knows about Canadian Laws.

the 5 round limit ( hated as it is) applies to centre fire rifles only.

Rimfire is unlimited ( which is why 50 rd 10/22 mags are only $60 CDN).

Handguns are limited to 10 rounds only...kinda like your new laws eh??

As far as I know these folks shoot walnut shells out of wax packed cases and blow up balloons located some 10 or so feet in front of them.

IIRC the female worlds champ is a young (15ish) girl from Alberta as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#18]
So what?....Who care if he is world record fast draw?....If he can't hit the man in front of him....then he is a dead world record fast draw.

I may be a few second slower, but I will hit my mark.

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#19]
That is not the point.

Personally I do not play the game...but your response is similar to ..

Javelin??  WTF???

I can outshoot a spear chucker with my .22!!

Its a recreational activity good for those who like it on their own merrits.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They should add a requirement that you have to actually hit the target to make the draw count.
View Quote
True! Who was the guy who drew (using an 8-shot .357), fired all 8, reloaded 6 rds from a speedloader, then fired those 6 ([b]hitting[/b] all his targets, btw) all in something like 2.3 or 2.6 seconds? I remember seeing it on American shooter, but can't remember the guy's name.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Munden is an all-around awesome exhibition shooter.  The one that stands out was seeing him on American Shooter with a .38 snub, shooting it at 600yds and hitting a balloon.
View Quote
[shock] I can barely keep mine on the paper at 25 in a rapid draw....holy shit! I'd like to see that! Wonder how much ammo he's burned to get that good. Couple of boxes? [:D]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Though accuracy is not necessary, hitting the target is. That time is based on a light going on at the center of the target and when he hits the target. So the .25 seconds is based on his reaction time to seeing the light drawing, firing, and hitting the target to make the light go off.
I did this for about 3 years with a standard cowboy rig, and a ruger vaquaro with some minor mods to stop it from over spinning the cylinder. I always placed 2 from the bottom, but I also did not invest the thousands these other guys did. The guns are in the 1200-1400 range for a 3 screw ruger modified with an aluminum cylinder.
The holsters run around 200-300 depending on whos name is stamped into it.
And yes you shoot either wax with shotgun primers only, or full blanks.
The wax is against man sized targets up to 15 feet away.
Ballons are shot with the blanks at up to the same distance.
I am also willing to bet that Bob Munden used blanks as well when doing the two ballon trick.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Back when I was training pretty hard. I could draw a 1911 .45 from a regular concealment holster and make a center mass hit in .68......right now I am about .92 if I trained hard again I could probably get back there again.

Edited to add: That was starting with hands relaxed at side.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I'v met all three of the Munden brothers.  I was the crew chief of Lt. Colonel Ward and CW4 Mundens AH-64 Apache (2/1 Avn 1st Armor Div).  I met the other brother while out shooting here in Oregon.  All are top notch people.  Bob's custom guns (set up for fast draw stuff) are slicker than snail snot, and they come in a coffin shaped box.  Pretty cool.  I believe that CW4 (Phill) Munden was also in the Guinness book of records for parachute jumps when he was with the golden knights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top