Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 10:01:11 AM EDT
We've got a couple of small trees that 'shed' a bit..and the neighbor behind us has fairly large black walnut trees that drop up to 2 or 3" branches regularly (however, she's an 80 y.o. lady...so I'm not going to just throw them back into her yard...).

Instead of letting them pile up and waiting for the township to come through once a year for yard waste or borrowing a pickup truck and taking them somewhere, I'm thinking of getting a chipper.

The larger stuff (2" and trunks from small trees if needed) can be cut up and put aside as firewood for an eventual outdoor fire pit)...but getting rid of the smaller stuff is what I'll need it for.   Figure 2" max on those branches.

Will an electric do well enough for that?

If not, what's a reasonable gas powered for light duty home use?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#1]
electric wood chipper??? is there even such a thing? would anyone ever BUY one? doh never mind
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't have a fire pit?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 5.5 HP gasoline-powered chipper/shredder from Harbor Freight.  With fresh gasoline it handles up to 1.25" except for very hard woods.

They're advertising a 6.5 HP model now for about $450.  The electric ones seem pretty weak.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't have a fire pit?
View Quote

Cheap metal one for now.    Going to do something with the back yard area...probably pavers with a built in pit in the middle...there's an area where a tree went down (surrounded by river stones) that would make a nice patio area...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a 5.5 HP gasoline-powered chipper/shredder from Harbor Freight.  With fresh gasoline it handles up to 1.25" except for very hard woods.

They're advertising a 6.5 HP model now for about $450.  The electric ones seem pretty weak.  
View Quote

I'm also looking at used (on Craigslist)...not too many nearby right now.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
My view on electric is that it never matches gasoline equipment.  Go gas or go home and if that is too costly,  burn even the small stuff in your fire pit.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Vermeer 600XL.  It is the sort favored by rental companies.  It's the size you want, but more expensive than the HF model.  I'm not a big fan of renting, but for what you want, I would rent one like mine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#8]
You'll usually find a ton of the little gas ones with 5hp engines or whatever they are and electric ones on Craigslist. This is because they're junk and don't work worth a damn. You need a burn barrel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cheap metal one for now.    Going to do something with the back yard area...probably pavers with a built in pit in the middle...there's an area where a tree went down (surrounded by river stones) that would make a nice patio area...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't have a fire pit?

All the homeowner style chippers I've seen, basically suck. They are just something for guys to have fun with in the spring while cleaning up blow downs.

Even the smaller commercial units that you can rent get bogged down pretty easy with hard woods.

I just put all mine in a huge pile, and the first day it rains I light that sucker up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I got it.

Just put together a charcoal maker, burn the small stuff to turn the larger stuff into charcoal, then have a pig roast.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Pick up a used, good-condition, Troy-built Tomahawk with 8HP Briggs and Stratton for ~$400

They don't make them anymore because of lawsuits, but they are built like tanks and can handle all you have stated.

http://www.permies.com/t/44732/a/33230/thumb-image.jpg
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top