Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2008 4:13:47 PM EDT
I am starting to play in a rock band, after about a decade off. I want a good wireless for playing small clubs.
What models should I look at,and any other advise is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not a fan of wireless for guitar or bass, haven't really dealt with a unit that didn't have some sort of signal degradation or frequency loss. If you are going to do it you have to get a good quality unit. Without breaking the bank check out the Samson Concert 77, I hear its not too bad. For a real nice Sennheiser or Shure system you could be spending around $800! (That's not even for a rack mount unit), for something that a $20 part does even better, but not wirelessly. Personally I'd rather buy another guitar.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am not a fan of wireless for guitar or bass, haven't really dealt with a unit that didn't have some sort of signal degradation or frequency loss. If you are going to do it you have to get a good quality unit. Without breaking the bank check out the Samson Concert 77, I hear its not too bad. For a real nice Sennheiser or Shure system you could be spending around $800! (That's not even for a rack mount unit), for something that a $20 part does even better, but not wirelessly. Personally I'd rather buy another guitar.

YMMV.

or maybe an AR...  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used some fairly high end units by both Shure(SLX-14) and Sennheiser(e172) - and although they were pretty decent, the best available under $1000 today is the X2 Digital... I'm currently using an XDR-95, and it actually sounds BETTER than my cables - and has proven itself to be 100% reliable - pedalboard versions can be had for $300 and $400 - and my XDR-95(rack mounted) costs $500 through ZZounds or Musicians Friend...

These are great sounding, reliable wireless units that are already 2009 compliant...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've used some fairly high end units by both Shure(SLX-14) and Sennheiser(e172) - and although they were pretty decent, the best available under $1000 today is the X2 Digital... I'm currently using an XDR-95, and it actually sounds BETTER than my cables - and has proven itself to be 100% reliable - pedalboard versions can be had for $300 and $400 - and my XDR-95(rack mounted) costs $500 through ZZounds or Musicians Friend...

These are great sounding, reliable wireless units that are already 2009 compliant...

- georgestrings

Thats the extra money you spent making it sound better.

Its actually possible that you are just standing further away from your bass rig with the wireless, and bass usually sounds better closer to the audience than right in front.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- georgestrings

Thats the extra money you spent making it sound better.

Its actually possible that you are just standing further away from your bass rig with the wireless, and bass usually sounds better closer to the audience than right in front.

Or, that this wireless transmits down to 10hz, and doesn't incur the signal loss and added capacitance that most cables do - besides being digital, and not using any companding ICs like any of the wireless units you've tried... If you care to look into it, the original X-Wire units were used in some recording studios - they're actually THAT good... I play in a couple of bands, and have played a fair amount of gigs with the X2 - and every musician that's heard it for themselves has been impressed - a couple have bought them for themselves after seeing/hearing mine, in fact...

I'm in the Syracuse area - you're more that welcome to check it out for yourself anytime you want - just PM me, and we'll set it up ...

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top