Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 9:57:35 PM EDT
I'm sure I should be able to find out a quick fix for this, but its almost 1, and my google-fu has been weak as of late.

Got a laptop I inherited from a friend.  Windows XP sp2.  Dell machine with the system data on the drive as opposed to a iso cd.  But that shouldn't matter in this case.  The machine was created with his name as the user name, but not passworded, so I changed the account name and added a pw.

That has changed the name of <user's documents> when viewed from windows explorer in the collapsed tree form under my computer.  But upon closer examination, the c:\documents and settings\<original user name> folder hasnt changed to my current newer account name.  I would like to change this.  Does anyone know how short of using dell's shit-tastic excuse for a reformatting system?

Also the computer has word perfect on it, that shows as being registered under his name.  Any way to change that short of uninstall/reinstall?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
No need to reformat.

Make a brand new account with your name, copy any data you would like over to
that account and delete the old original renamed account.

If your account is in the Administrator group (and it most likely is), no big deal,
Administrators are the top dog and can take possession of anything in the computer.

The only thing that would be left in his name would be the Registered to:
in the My Computer icon Properties tab.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No need to reformat.

Make a brand new account with your name, copy any data you would like over to
that account and delete the old original renamed account.

If your account is in the Administrator group (and it most likely is), no big deal,
Administrators are the top dog and can take possession of anything in the computer.

The only thing that would be left in his name would be the Registered to:
in the My Computer icon Properties tab.

+1

you can change the registration info in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

RegisteredOrganization
RegisteredOwner

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top