Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2011 8:03:30 AM EDT
I have fidgety hands and I think I am going to buy one of these for me and one for the kid for fun.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Musical UFO's!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Musical UFO's!!!

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Pics?

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I like 'em.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats an awesome gift for other peoples kids!!!!....
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome.
I want one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#8]
sorry
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Just curious why you have her pic next to a Vermont battle flag?

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just curious why you have her pic next to a Vermont battle flag?

I hang lots of kick ass historical flags in my music studio and on my flag pole in the front yard.  They go in rotation.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#11]
make sure you can separate the two halves so they can also be used as a wok.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Dibs on your guns and stuff.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I had to take a music class for my general ed requirements back in college and saw this thing played live and in person.  Now I'm no hippy music lover but I was definitely blown away by it.  It gives off these weird tones and vibrations that a youtube video just can't do it enough justice.  If I had enough time on my hands and money to blow I would definitely buy one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

exactly!

although I could see myself sitting around and playing them, played drums for about 20 years in my younger years.

J-
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Get one of these. I bought one and the family hates it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10xvuoJU7Ac

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Wonder how that newly perforated drum is going to sound...
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Good luck getting one. The authentic panart hang drums are like $6,000. Stupid hippies.

Check out this video:

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#20]
edit: why does the forum formatting always get fucked up when I post more than one youtube embed in a single post?

There are a lot of clone attempts though, and some are pretty nice. You can even cut up a fun tongue drum out of an old propane tank (google "hank drum") and get a similar sound:

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#21]
That was pretty cool
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Fidgety hands?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Fidgety hands?

He touches himself.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like a good winter project making one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#26]
First, post pics of wife and second, she is going to kill you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have fidgety hands and I think I am going to buy one of these for me and one for the kid for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJswfXKJ3s&feature=relmfu

I hope I'm far enough away that I don't have to hear them.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJswfXKJ3s&feature=relmfu

Holy sh#%t, i went to school with that guy. I seem to remember him being a classically trained opera singer (and a lot less shaggy) then. He might be making playing that thing look EASIER than it really is...
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good luck getting one. The authentic panart hang drums are like $6,000. Stupid hippies.

First thing I thought..
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First thing I thought..
damn. hope I can find one cheaper.

Ill take it to hippie gatherings and write anti hippie songs to the beat to rain on their parade.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#31]
fuck.  just found out the real ones are 1500 dollars and are only made by two guys in Switzerland and you are on a fucking waiting list to get one.

Gpnna figure out the propane tank method it looks like.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Key word = other
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#33]
hmm I can get one of these for 600 bucks.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

fuck.  just found out the real ones are 1500 dollars and are only made by two guys in Switzerland and you are on a fucking waiting list to get one.

Not only is there a waiting list, but you have to pick it up in person, and they don't like to sell to musicians.

wtf?

some of the clones look pretty promising though. I'd love to have a pair of them tuned so I could get a chromatic scale between them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I wonder if you could do something like they did on mythbusters to

form one. Here is a link that shows a short clip of how they hydroformed

a shell of a torpedo. The video is in the thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586952

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd think one of the big percussion instrument manufacturers could clone the things and sell them for a few hundred bucks.

Surprised it hasn't happened yet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Is that the same guy I see posted all over this board holding a hand gun in his underwear??
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I'd think one of the big percussion instrument manufacturers could clone the things and sell them for a few hundred bucks.

Surprised it hasn't happened yet.

yeah wouldn't be that hard to form a die and press a million of them if you already had the equipment.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not only is there a waiting list, but you have to pick it up in person, and they don't like to sell to musicians.

wtf?

some of the clones look pretty promising though. I'd love to have a pair of them tuned so I could get a chromatic scale between them.

what?  

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wtf?

what?  

Check out the comments in this forum thread (some links to alternatives):

In particular this one:

hey there,

PANart are from my city and i've had a Hang borrowed from them in 2004 for my diploma. They are two people (Felix and Sabina) who developped the instrument coming from making steel drums (pans) originaly. My feeling was always, that they were not sure, who it was aimed for and often were frustrated, that classical musicians were not interested. On the other hand, they were fighting getting pigeonholed but also wanted to control what journey a Hang makes after leaving their workshop. Frustrated with the insanely high prices the Hangs made on ebay and similar resell platforms, they made buyers sign contracts that should secure them the right to buy the hang back if the original buyer was to part from it. Nowadays they don't run any direct contact with the public (website) anymore. Some guys run a blog/forum where they publish letters to the world from time to time. In my eyes some of that is a bit sad, as the guy from the platform comments on films on youtube telling people they play the hang wrong - an instrument that is supposed to be free from scholar load and the makers have a new agey purpose of not selling the new hangs to pro percussionists anymore but only people who have "a need" for them - hence the application letter you have to send. And another stupid thing in my eyes is that they stopped tuning the hangs to precise fundamentals with the last new series - now they go completely by ear, making sure each instrument is resonant/resounding in itself alone. This makes playing with other instruments hard or in case of pianos impossible (if you do not want to have your piano retuned to whatever pitch they felt was ok with the universe in the moment your Hang was born...)

You can probably feel from how much i'm ranting, that the whole story makes me a bit sad. I think the Hang is a marvelous creation with so much potential, but the ideological background of the makers seems to have become more important than the satisfaction one might have from making the world happy with a very versatile instrument (even if some ways it's used dosn't appeal to the makers).

Anyway, you can read on the application process in said blog and also might want to read the letters from the makers.

All the best

My only reaction is: stupid hippies.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf?

what?  

Check out the comments in this forum thread (some links to alternatives):

In particular this one:

hey there,

PANart are from my city and i've had a Hang borrowed from them in 2004 for my diploma. They are two people (Felix and Sabina) who developped the instrument coming from making steel drums (pans) originaly. My feeling was always, that they were not sure, who it was aimed for and often were frustrated, that classical musicians were not interested. On the other hand, they were fighting getting pigeonholed but also wanted to control what journey a Hang makes after leaving their workshop. Frustrated with the insanely high prices the Hangs made on ebay and similar resell platforms, they made buyers sign contracts that should secure them the right to buy the hang back if the original buyer was to part from it. Nowadays they don't run any direct contact with the public (website) anymore. Some guys run a blog/forum where they publish letters to the world from time to time. In my eyes some of that is a bit sad, as the guy from the platform comments on films on youtube telling people they play the hang wrong - an instrument that is supposed to be free from scholar load and the makers have a new agey purpose of not selling the new hangs to pro percussionists anymore but only people who have "a need" for them - hence the application letter you have to send. And another stupid thing in my eyes is that they stopped tuning the hangs to precise fundamentals with the last new series - now they go completely by ear, making sure each instrument is resonant/resounding in itself alone. This makes playing with other instruments hard or in case of pianos impossible (if you do not want to have your piano retuned to whatever pitch they felt was ok with the universe in the moment your Hang was born...)

You can probably feel from how much i'm ranting, that the whole story makes me a bit sad. I think the Hang is a marvelous creation with so much potential, but the ideological background of the makers seems to have become more important than the satisfaction one might have from making the world happy with a very versatile instrument (even if some ways it's used dosn't appeal to the makers).

Anyway, you can read on the application process in said blog and also might want to read the letters from the makers.

All the best

My only reaction is: stupid hippies.

I should figure out a way to make these efficiently. perhaps form some steel dies and hammer them into a bowl if need be.  Put these fuckers out of business and get rich.

The steel would be cheap and if you can crank out two or three per week at 3-500 dollars you would be doing damn well and have lots of free time.  Maybe hire a couple peple at minimum wage.  One to hold the punch and the steel in place and one to hammer .  kick out 3-4 a day for 200 dollars.

I gotta figure out how to make one of these. I wish I knew someone who had one so I could take measurements.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I should figure out a way to make these efficiently. perhaps form some steel dies and hammer them into a bowl if need be.  Put these fuckers out of business and get rich.

The steel would be cheap and if you can crank out two or three per week at 3-500 dollars you would be doing damn well and have lots of free time.  Maybe hire a couple peple at minimum wage.  One to hold the punch and the steel in place and one to hammer .  kick out 3-4 a day for 200 dollars.

I gotta figure out how to make one of these. I wish I knew someone who had one so I could take measurements.

Buy one. have a CNC machinist make an inverted mold from it and use the hydroform

method and you could crank them out. Seems they would just need a minor tuning.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy one. have a CNC machinist make an inverted mold from it and use the hydroform

method and you could crank them out. Seems they would just need a minor tuning.

buying one is the problem.   hippies wont sell me one.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#45]
It would be ideal to get ahold of several of them in different tunings, and ones that are properly tuned so that they can play with other instruments and clone those.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#46]
U so Crazy...
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Link to purchase annoying chicken please..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top