Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 4:54:20 PM EDT
I keep making false starts on trying to eat better. I'll go for a couple of weeks, feel like shit, and give up.

My definition of "eat better" is cutting down to about 2500 calories a day and eating lean meat cooked with low-ish fat, fruit, vegetables, and a small amount of bread (3-4 slices of whole wheat bread). At my weight (260 lbs) 2500 should be enough to cause a slight deficit but nothing extreme.

Whenever I do this, after about two weeks I start feeling like shit. Tired, not sleeping well, hungry. As soon as I go back to eating supposedly worse food, burgers, fries, pizza, burritos I start feeling fine again.

Maybe I should just continue to eat shit and try doing enough exercise to create a deficit.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:58:34 PM EDT
No pain, no gain blah blah blah...

Healthy hurts, you're probably a carbohydrate addict.

If it was easy there wouldn't be so many fatties running around.

You'll start to feel better after a couple months, gotta work all that crap out of your system and restabilize.

If you think carbs/fat/salt are tough try nicotine/alchohol, I've never felt shittier than when I gave up tobacco.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:01:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By K2QB3:
No pain, no gain blah blah blah...

Healthy hurts, you're probably a carbohydrate addict.

If it was easy there wouldn't be so many fatties running around.

You'll start to feel better after a couple months, gotta work all that crap out of your system and restabilize.

If you think carbs/fat/salt are tough try nicotine/alchohol, I've never felt shittier than when I gave up tobacco.

This and take in more protein. Work your ass of at the gym for three months then you will love eating "healthy".
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:02:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2010 5:05:15 PM EDT by Hamel]
You body is used to a certain calorie intake. Radically changing that and you body will respond.

When you drastically cut calories your body is probably responding as if you are fasting. It'll take time for you to become used to the new level of calorie intake.

ETA- it might help by eating more frequently (5-6 times/day) to keep your energy and metabolism up. For example-take your typical lunch and eat half that then the other half 2-3 hours later. Lots of water throughout the day as well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:03:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
I keep making false starts on trying to eat better. I'll go for a couple of weeks, feel like shit, and give up.

My definition of "eat better" is cutting down to about 2500 calories a day and eating lean meat cooked with low-ish fat, fruit, vegetables, and a small amount of bread (3-4 slices of whole wheat bread). At my weight (260 lbs) 2500 should be enough to cause a slight deficit but nothing extreme.

Whenever I do this, after about two weeks I start feeling like shit. Tired, not sleeping well, hungry. As soon as I go back to eating supposedly worse food, burgers, fries, pizza, burritos I start feeling fine again.

Maybe I should just continue to eat shit and try doing enough exercise to create a deficit.

A couple weeks is nothing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:05:01 PM EDT
Buy a bicycle and ride it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:06:58 PM EDT
You should focus more on where your calories are coming from than just blindly thinking "calories are calories". Calories from protein and fat are much more beneficial than those from carbohydrates and other sugars.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:07:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SNorman:

So what does it take? A couple of months?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:09:30 PM EDT
Try cutting fat intake without restricting your carb intake so much. There's nothing "healthy" about starving your body of carbs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:10:23 PM EDT

I think a couple months of excercise and good diet and your body and mind should be in sync with the new routine. One possibility, is that you are unknowingly adding something to your diet (even though it's "healthy", overall) that just doesn't agree with your body or digestive system. But that crap is hard to track down .
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:11:36 PM EDT
I feel like shit when I don't eat healthy. I ate pasta the other day for the first time in months and I felt like puking. I barely eat any bread or pasta and I feel great because of it. Read the zone diet if you get a chance.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:12:52 PM EDT

I recently starting eating clean after years of eating in excess and crap. IIRC took about 3-4 weeks before my hunger pangs passed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:14:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Skibane:
Try cutting fat intake without restricting your carb intake so much. There's nothing "healthy" about starving your body of carbs.

Yes there is. Carbs and sugar are the primary culprit of our ever fattening society that is told that the carb heavy food pyramid is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:17:09 PM EDT
Eat meat, fat and veggies. You should feel better in a day or two.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:22:03 PM EDT
If you make a major change in diet, such as switching from a carb-based diet to a protein-based diet, your body has to start producing the proper enzymes to digest and absorb the new diet.
This starts after a few days, and you can start to feel restless, tired, etc.
After a week or so you should start to adapt to the new diet and feel fine.

Several years ago I did a low-carb diet and felt dead tired for the first week or so, then felt fine. Lost about 4 pounds a week, eventually lost 40 pounds.
Then I bought a business, the diet went to hell and I gained most of it back.

About two weeks ago, I started a new diet - not a "diet" but a new dietary mix.
This time, instead of doing the carb-counting thing, I'm just cutting back on rice, flour and sugar - all the "white" stuff.
I've lost 5 pounds already, and if I can continue to consistently drop a couple of pounds every week or so, I'll be back to my desired weight in a couple of months.
After that, I'll experiment to find a level of carb intake that will maintain me where I want to be.

However, if you're just restricting calories maybe you should just start cutting back gradually.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:25:16 PM EDT
Remember, dietary fat IN has to match dietary fat OUT before your body will burn anything that is stored.

The easiest way to stay in shape, is to eat a lot and work out a lot. Best way to get IN shape is to eat a lot and work out HARD AS HELL.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:30:06 PM EDT
Eat six times a day. Feed your body every 3 hours with small meals and healthy snacks like fruit and yogurt between meals. You have to retrain your body to digest food a little quicker.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:30:24 PM EDT
because evolutionarily people weren't designed to eat "healthy"
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:36:02 PM EDT
Bread, (ANY BREAD!), Pasta, rice, corn, potatoes etc. etc. are all the tool of the devil.
For the last 6 million years, perhaps more, man never ate that shit. Our bodies can't digest it properly and it gets converted to bad fats quickly.
Basically complex carbs.
We ate meat, green veggies, nuts and roots and simple sugars like fruits. Prior to 6000 BC, we lived a long time, were 6 feet tall and had healthy bones and teeth. Then some genius decided to domesticate grasses. Grasses? what the fuck are we cows? We started eating breads and rices and other "agriculture" products. We shrunk to 5' tall, our life span diminished, our bones became crooked. Only in the last 100 years have we started to eat proper food again but even then its still mixed with "monoculture" CRAP!
So i switched to the "hunter gatherer" diet. I hesitate to use the word "diet" because its not about starving yourself to lose weight. You just eat when you're hungry and you'll find yourself eating less because you are less hungry. I weighed 212 about 3 years ago and now im down to 175. without an ounce of exercise or starvation. FUCK BREAD AND RICE!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:37:51 PM EDT
Blood sugar issues maybe?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:46:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hamel:

I recently starting eating clean after years of eating in excess and crap. IIRC took about 3-4 weeks before my hunger pangs passed.

Took me about a year.

No shit. Not messing with you.

Not only was I self medicating with carbs, I kept that high up with refined sugar.

It flips eventually. I always worked out and enjoyed it. But eating clean once you detox and stop chasing carb highs will have you sleeping more normally, horny like a 15 year old, keeping a more normal emotional keel (I stopped wanting to laugh and cry at the same time and my chronic depression went poof ––- though I still want to murder the world when driving), and I feel better at 35 than I did at 25.

It'll also help you date those 25 year olds with 8% body fat

Educate yourself about food.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:53:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fender57:
Bread, (ANY BREAD!), Pasta, rice, corn, potatoes etc. etc. are all the tool of the devil.
For the last 6 million years, perhaps more, man never ate that shit. Our bodies can't digest it properly and it gets converted to bad fats quickly.
Basically complex carbs.
We ate meat, green veggies, nuts and roots and simple sugars like fruits. Prior to 6000 BC, we lived a long time, were 6 feet tall and had healthy bones and teeth. Then some genius decided to domesticate grasses. Grasses? what the fuck are we cows? We started eating breads and rices and other "agriculture" products. We shrunk to 5' tall, our life span diminished, our bones became crooked. Only in the last 100 years have we started to eat proper food again but even then its still mixed with "monoculture" CRAP!
So i switched to the "hunter gatherer" diet. I hesitate to use the word "diet" because its not about starving yourself to lose weight. You just eat when you're hungry and you'll find yourself eating less because you are less hungry. I weighed 212 about 3 years ago and now im down to 175. without an ounce of exercise or starvation. FUCK BREAD AND RICE!

Post of the year. You are correct, i did the same thing and after the first week off the carbs I felt great!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:52:19 PM EDT
See a nutritionist to put you on a diet specific to your metabolism. Some people process fats and proteins better than carbs, and vice versa. I couldn't lose weight and stay healthy until I saw one. She worked up a custom menu for me and I lost 30 pounds with hardly trying. I ate plenty of food, never felt like I was starving, and felt great. That was 8 years ago and the weight hasn't returned. The yo-yo dieting was gone.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:53:38 PM EDT
Up your protein intake, and work out hard. You'll begin to crave "healthy."

Can't say I've experienced the same thing though, I feel like shit when I eat like shit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:54:03 PM EDT
After a couple of months of eating healthy and exercising you'll start feeling like shit when you eat poorly or skip the gym for a week. There's a hump, it's easier after the hump. For me anyway.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:46:36 PM EDT
Getting off carbs can make you feel like shit.

This might be part of it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:10:02 PM EDT
After about a week or 2 yours shits get normal and you feel fine. Just stick with it, your body has to get all that crap out.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:13:07 PM EDT
Maybe its just your lot in life to feel like shit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:15:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sique:
Maybe its just your lot in life to feel like shit.

This is a very possible cause.

If feeling like shit is better than feeling like shit, I recommend reverting back to feeling like shit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:19:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2010 10:22:15 PM EDT by M4tty]
Maybe there is something to what Morgan Spurlock said in 'Super Size Me' about addictive chemicals in cheese and other foods.

He said that when he was coming off his 30 day McDonalds diet he felt like absolute shit but then he'd go get a Big Mac and he would instantly feel better.

Maybe it's all bullshit, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:41:16 PM EDT

Just not used to your new diet. For me going from unhealthy to healthy was hard. However when I adjusted I was able to notice I felt generally better than I had a month before while eating junk.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:45:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4tty:
Maybe there is something to what Morgan Spurlock said in 'Super Size Me' about addictive chemicals in cheese and other foods.

He said that when he was coming off his 30 day McDonalds diet he felt like absolute shit but then he'd go get a Big Mac and he would instantly feel better.

Maybe it's all bullshit, I have no idea.

Less to do with evil chemicals and more to do with endorphins I think.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:51:47 PM EDT
You can always cheat and use the Atkins diet. It works great if you do it correctly, and you can morph it over time into a healthy diet as you close in on your target weight. That said, doing it right can be HARD. It's freaky to look at a perfectly grilled rare piece of sirloin and a pile of broccoli covered in Bernaise, and think "steak AGAIN???). On the plus side, you can eat meat whenever you want and you never get hungry. You just crave sweets (easy to fake with splenda) and crunchy deep fried breaded anything, and fresh bread. A toaster will make you weak in the knees with the smell.

I'm never more energetic and awake feeling than when I'm in full on ketosis making all my own blood sugar from protein and fat. It also knocks weight off us big guys like nothing short of a cleaver can. I just jumped back on the low carb wagon last week to trim off some of my GD Muffintop, and am down about 10 pounds so far. (Mostly water weight at first but it sure is gratifying none the less.)

Bottom line remains the same though. Excersize, continuous and low impact, trumps diet. Protein and produce with limited fat and sugars is what we run best on when we're not doing hard labor all day.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:54:04 PM EDT
You have pre-diabeetus. Your blood sugar/insulin cycle is out of whack.

Try to find the original Atkins book, and read it carefully. It will explain everything.
Top Top