Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2001 11:07:06 AM EDT
I've always wondered this. I'd think it'd create drag and negatively affect accuracy since you don't see any jets or rockets flying around with a big cavity in the nosecone but I'm guessing the opposite is true, but how?
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Match ammo is hollow pointed because hollow pointing bullets moveds the center of gravity towards the rear of the bullet, having the effect of making the bullet more stable in flight. The hollow points are usually quite small and have little or no aerodynmanic penalty. Another advantage of the hollow point form is that there is no soft lead exposed at the nose which could get battered ar deformed in the magazine due to recoil. That deformation can have a negative effect on bullet accuracy and ballistic coefficient.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The key to accurate rifle ammo is CONSISTENCY.

FMJ bullets are formed from the point downwards, leaving the base open and core exposed. As a side effect of the manufacturing process varying amounts of the lead core will protrude and thus adds a variable negative to accuracy.

Hollow points are formed in the opposite manner, from the base to the tip. This eliminates the open core in the base and makes for a more consistent base and heel (and boat tail) contstruction, which are the most critical to accuracy. The hollow point (actually a very small cavity unlike handgun bullets) is merely a manufacturing byproduct from the mandrel that pushes the finished product from the swaging die.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Geez Imbrog, how can a man of your vast knowledge not get laid once in a while?
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
The key to accurate rifle ammo is CONSISTENCY.

FMJ bullets are formed from the point downwards, leaving the base open and core exposed. As a side effect of the manufacturing process varying amounts of the lead core will protrude and thus adds a variable negative to accuracy.

Hollow points are formed in the opposite manner, from the base to the tip. This eliminates the open core in the base and makes for a more consistent base and heel (and boat tail) contstruction, which are the most critical to accuracy. The hollow point (actually a very small cavity unlike handgun bullets) is merely a manufacturing byproduct from the mandrel that pushes the finished product from the swaging die.
View Quote

cool I get it now, did you learn all that doing research before buying .22lr match ammo or was it .38 special?
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I know stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top