Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/16/2001 9:13:09 AM EDT
short barreled rifles and shotguns. i dont understand the reason behind it is there some legal reason? i remember reading that "sawed off" shotguns were put on it because they werent a regular Army weapon therefore not protected under the 2nd. Arent they a regular Army/Marine weapon now? What about machineguns? (last time i was in, i believe i had one...)
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:21:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/16/2001 9:15:30 AM EDT by Santyth]
If lawmakers gave a damn about the 2nd, especially pertaining to military arms, this board would be called [b]M16.com[/b].
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:24:13 AM EDT
Damn straight!
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:25:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/16/2001 9:21:58 AM EDT by I_Luv_Carrots]
The reason is the original draft of the NFA included handguns as being an NFA regulated weapon. The Short barrel provisions were added, becasue one of the original intents of the NFA was to get anything concealable. The NRA lobbied thier asses off, and had handguns removed from the bill... But the Short Barrel provisions were left in place. So, yes, It was a mere clarical error that justify';s the short barrel provisions in teh NFA. It makes no sense that you can posess a handgun, and poses a long gun... But put a stock on your handgun, and it';s against the law??? It was a technical error. BTW- If NFA weapons are still transferrable in 5 years time, i'd bet my ass that repeating AOW shotguns will be classified as SBS's. The provisions were meant to cover Curio'esque Smoothbore pistols like the gamegetter and the burglar gun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:27:23 AM EDT
If you haven't already read Unintended Consequences, do so, it gives a pretty good background as to what was going on when that legislation was passed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:34:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/16/2001 9:28:58 AM EDT by SteyrAUG]
For more than any other single reason you can thank Bonnie & Clyde. They were fond of cutting BARs down into "whippit" guns. This lead the governement to class SBRs with machine guns. Of course B&C never cut the barrels so much as they just shotrened the buttstocks on BARs so that they could be concealed under a long coat. And who knew Clyde Barrow was bisexual?
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:47:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SkaerE: ok, 2 questions 1.) the tax on a AOW is $5 correct or not? is that all you have to pay for a shortbarreled shotgun? 2.) whats an SBS?
View Quote
Tax on AOW (Any Other Weapon) is $5.00 Tax on (SBS) Short Barrel Shotgun is $200.00
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:50:55 AM EDT
just did some reading aparantly if a shotgun ever had a full stock than it has to be a SBS, if it came with a pistol grip than it is an AOW. like most gun laws, very silly
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:56:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SkaerE: just did some reading aparantly if a shotgun ever had a full stock than it has to be a SBS, if it came with a pistol grip than it is an AOW. like most gun laws, very silly
View Quote
Yes very silly. It is hard to intelligently classify firearms into good/evil catagories which is the intent of these laws. And AOW doesn't apply ONLY to shotguns. If you put a forward grip on handguns this is a AOW too. An example is a "k" grip on a HK SP89. So to use govermnet logic a SP89 is just a pistol. But add a K grip and it is now a evil weapon which MUST be regulated.
Top Top