The guy looks about as intelligent as the decision to hunt with a 5.7

?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:25:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:

I'm going to have to say "If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid."
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:26:44 PM EDT
Except if it's illegal.

Most places put a caliber limit on deer. I'm not saying this guy's locale did, but... it's possible.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:26:53 PM EDT

Yes, your rapier wit has clearly cut him to the bone!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:34:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By patchouli:
Except if it's illegal.NC F&W laws require a 6" barrel, and I think it has to be centerfire. Obviously, he ain't in NC though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:38:44 PM EDT
How many rounds did this take?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:39:36 PM EDT

Except if it's illegal.

Most places put a caliber limit on deer. I'm not saying this guy's locale did, but... it's possible.

If it ain't a rimfire it's legal here. Hell just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's wrong
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:41:10 PM EDT
Headshot?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:43:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By learath:

I'm going to have to say "If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid."

Well a .22lr could drop a deer too, but it wouldn't exactly be smart to hunt them with one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:50:22 PM EDT

Uh-oh, I better not tell you about all the deer I have taken with a 22 Hornet. Longest I have ever had to track one was about 12 feet, down a steep hill.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:53:10 PM EDT
Can someone please explain to me the point if hunting dear in camo? I mean they have pretty bad vision right? If they can’t see bright orange, surely blue jeans wouldn't offend their sensibilities.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:53:52 PM EDT
Im no way connected to the picture.

I just found it posted by CMMG sruching for pics of the deer they have got with ARs.

I believe that is Ken the FNrep for this part of the woods, He a member here ask him.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:56:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ardenner:
Can someone please explain to me the point if hunting dear in camo? I mean they have pretty bad vision right? If they can’t see bright orange, surely blue jeans wouldn't offend their sensibilities.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:57:43 PM EDT
re: camoflage.

You want to blend in with your surroundings to give you an edge. Deer will see movements. Your movement will be masked if you're "mixed" in with the background. Many deer have been taken with blue jeans and the red plaid coat, but blending in is mo-better.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:58:10 PM EDT

Deer don't see color. Their vision isn't great but not bad. Camo breaks up your shape. That's why you can effectively use orange camo patterns. Blue jeans will potentially contrast sharply with your background making you more easily spotted by deer. You will appear as a starkly different and distinct shape to the deer. And if you move, say goodbye!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 8:02:05 PM EDT by Followthehollow]
Question, I'm retarded on metric to caliber conversion.
Is the 5.7 .23 caliber, or is it still a .22?

Edit: and if it still a .22, what exactly is the point in mm that it becomes .23 caliber
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:59:27 PM EDT

Deer are colorblind.... They essentially see in black & white.

The camo is to break up your silhouette, against the foliage, etc in the area.

That's why they can't "see" blaze orange camo, like you and I can.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:00:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 8:01:01 PM EDT by LANCEMAN]

Ever been deer hunting where your entire body is exposed like in a tree climber, ladder stand, or simply sitting next to a tree ? They see motion very well, hear better than that and smell above all else. They have big ears, long noses, and big brown eyes for a reason.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:01:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Followthehollow:
Question, I'm retarded on metric to caliber conversion.
Is the 5.7 .23 caliber, or is it still a .22?

5.7 shoots little(30-40gr) .224 bullets the same as the AR
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:02:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JBowles:

I just found it posted by CMMG sruching for pics of the deer they have got with ARs.

I believe that is Ken the FNrep for this part of the woods, He a member here ask him.

I never cared much for using animals for sales stunts.

I've seen deer killed with much less than the 5.7, to be sure, but it's irresponsible. They deserve enough respect to be killed cleanly, by something powerful enough to give you a margin of error.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:05:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

I never cared much for using animals for sales stunts.

I've seen deer killed with much less than the 5.7, to be sure, but it's irresponsible. They deserve enough respect to be killed cleanly, by something powerful enough to give you a margin of error.

But don't use anything more powerful than 30-06 on poor little white tails or the power nazi's will come in the night and eat your children!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:05:23 PM EDT
Jeff at CMMg has also took a deer with his 5.7
It killed it on the spot, but if IIRC it was a close range shott like 5-10m
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:51:29 PM EDT

Many others already addressed it. You can have the best camo in the world, but if you flintch and they see it, goodbye!

I had one walk within 20' of my stand last month, just before dawn, all I could see was it's silloutte (SP?). When I turned my head the sound on my outershell moving spooked her.

Plus I use camo to designate my huntin' threads. I try to keep them seperate from other things in a Rubbermaid container to cut down on scent contamination. Probably doesn't work, but it doesn't hurt either.

BTW - If a turkey could smell and hear like a deer, I don't think you'd ever be able to kill one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:53:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:

Except if it's illegal.

If it ain't a rimfire it's legal here. Hell just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's wrong

Hunting w/ FMJ is, though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:55:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By N1Rampage:

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:

Except if it's illegal.

Hunting w/ FMJ is, though.

MO is the same nothing rimfire and no FMJ
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:55:41 PM EDT
I hunt with FMJ. Dropped a pig just last week with some good ol XM 193.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:00:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 9:11:18 PM EDT by Ardenner]

Originally Posted By operatorerror:

Deer don't see color. Their vision isn't great but not bad. Camo breaks up your shape. That's why you can effectively use orange camo patterns. Blue jeans will potentially contrast sharply with your background making you more easily spotted by deer. You will appear as a starkly different and distinct shape to the deer. And if you move, say goodbye!

That makes a lot sense. I guess my real question then is: what about these guys that hunt in solid orange jump suits?

For the record, I don't hunt so that is the reason for the ignorant questions. It just isn’t an activity that really appeals to me, but I certainly don’t have anything against those people that do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:49:53 PM EDT
No Rimfire or FMJ in PA.

Remember, 5.7mm is almost equal to the .243 win/6mm Rem in actual caliber (independant of bullet weight).
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 10:27:52 PM EDT by scotty1911]
well i guess the 2 times i killed a deer with a 22 lr would be taboo here then.

once was a wounded deer, it had a broken back, any time the cop that showed up tried to get any closer than 20 yards the deer would drag/crawl further in to the field it fell in to. the cop would not take a long shot ( 20 yards or so) at night. so i took a head shot at about 30 yards ot so, one shot killed it. btw i just happen to pull up on the scene and had my 22 in the truck.

the other time was was some what irresponsible, at age 21 i was squirrel hunting, a deer jumped up about 15 yards in front of me with its head behind a tree. i had a small tree right between me and the deer, with a small Y formed by a branch at the perfect height. at the time i played paint ball ( ya i know ) so i had a very quick trigger finger, i could maintan a 5 round a second speed for 100 rounds and a burst speed of about 8 per second. simply put i shot 9 times at 15 yards in a bout a second. the deer just flinched when hit at first, i hit the heart 4 times and the lungs 6 times, that i could tell. the doe ran about 10 yards and dropped.

lets see the other marginal shots i have done, all on a farm that raised deer where 2 with a 380, one with a 40 ( 3.25 inch barreled firestar ) , all 3 dropped with in 3 to 4 seconds, not dead instantly but they where in about 10 to 15 seconds. all 3 of these shots where at about 20 to 25 feet, and all hit the heart or aorta. this is when i was testing some hand gun ammo, to this day i still use golden sabers
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:39:09 PM EDT

JBowles, you don't know shit and I'm ashamed that we are from the same county. See you

over break, brother. - Kool-Aid (LCA tsxx37)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:40:53 PM EDT
would not make min power level here
400FTLBs @ 50yds for hand gun
900FTLBs@100yds for rifle
that sid if the range is close like >25m I do not see a huge problem
hell ive shot a ton of deer with 155gr silvertip in 40 SW (410FTLBs@50yds) put um down better than my 308
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:02:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TravisM1:
No Rimfire or FMJ in PA.

Remember, 5.7mm is almost equal to the .243 win/6mm Rem in actual caliber (independant of bullet weight).

How the HELL is .243 Win. with 43gr of powder equal to a pea shooter...who told you that shit???
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:09:43 PM EDT
the local law
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:46:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FredM:

Originally Posted By TravisM1:
No Rimfire or FMJ in PA.

How the HELL is .243 Win. with 43gr of powder equal to a pea shooter...who told you that shit???

In actual caliber, you assbag. Maybe read my post again. Apparantly, I was wrong in my assumption that the "In actual Caliber" part would be understood.
I said nothing of velocity or bullet performance. I was reffering to bullet diameter. Of course a higher capacity rifle case with a longer barrel to make use of said cartridge capacity will launch projectiles at higher velocities, resulting in a more powerful weapon.
As I've seen said here-
Reading is Fundamental.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:55:05 AM EDT

Relative?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:19:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 7:20:25 AM EDT by fnman]

I bet you are 400lbs, sitting on your fat butt, drinking a 190oz Big Gulp and wishing you were somebody. I bet he's more inteligent than you. I bet he makes more money too.
Top Top