Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 9:04:42 PM EDT
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm anchovies
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
oil packed don't hold a candle to salt cured. Love em.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

don't have those around here, damn
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
oh... man... i can smell that from here...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Me too, but the salt drives my BP up so high, it makes my head feel like it's about to explode.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
oil packed aren't smelly but the salt cured ones are fragrant.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Only in a proper Caesar Salad..
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never had them.  I will have to grab a can and try them out tomorrow.  How are they usually eaten?  What brands are good?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]
it's good in a greek salad with lots of olives and feta cheese
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've never had them.  I will have to grab a can and try them out tomorrow.  How are they usually eaten?  What brands are good?

i put it on pizza, greek salad, and I make a olive sauce with it for pasta
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I like fried anchovies

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too, but the salt drives my BP up so high, it makes my head feel like it's about to explode.

soak em like baccala in a couple of changes of water(some do milk)
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Anchovies are too expensive in the grocery store. Like $2-3 for "tiny" can. If you want to buy a  LARGE (like canned  ham sized) can for a good price, talk to the local pizza joint manager about getting a restaurant sized can through their distributers. MUCH cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/102_0227.jpg

Okay.  Convince me.

I like lots of different canned fish products.  And the smell/flavor of anchovies themselves  doesn't bother me, really.

But are all of them so damned salty?  Every time i've tried them, they've been so salty so as to be revolting.  Are there brands to stay away from? Different types?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Nope, sorry.... NEVER anchovies in a classic Caesar Salad.

there are, however, anchovies in Worcestershire sauce, an ingredient to the Caesar Salad dressing, which usually leads people to mistakenly believe that there are anchovies in Caesar Salad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

there are, however, anchovies in Worcestershire sauce, an ingredient to the Caesar Salad dressing, which usually leads people to mistakenly believe that there are anchovies in Caesar Salad.

I use anchovies, or rather, anchovy paste in MY classic Caesar Salad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]
white anchovies, salt cured and packed in extra virgin olive oil are my favorites..

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm...No.

The original recipe, by the creator, calls for anchovy fillets.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

The original Caesar salad ALWAYS had anchovies in it.

Only pussies take 'em out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I had them in a real fancy Italian restaurant on the side with my Linguini in Clam Sauce. They were NOTHING like the canned or salt cured. They were more like pickled herring and sweet and vinegary.. Real fresh like they might have made them themselves... I ate those bad boys up! yummmmm
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

With blue cheese and onion on a cracker. Smoked oysters and mussels are great too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Yay! Anchovies!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I like mine in olive oil.

I prefer Tiny Tots CROSS pack (not the straight pack) or the black labeled ones from Trader Joes.

Just add a squeeze of lemon and onions and a saltine cracker.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm surprised at the number that like anchovies, good stuff
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/102_0227.jpg

Maybe you should make that your avatar.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a tin on the shelf that I've been meaning to use.  Maybe make a spread using the anchovies, some olives, garlic, and basil.  Spread on some toasted focaccia.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Love em! Where ever - when ever! Pizzas! Salads! Yum!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm...No.
The original recipe, by the creator, calls for anchovy fillets.

i've only run across the supposed "original" recipe in print once-in the L.A. Times taken from Caesar Cardini's Granddaughter? maybe 20+ years ago. Julia Child has also recorded the salad as it was made tableside by Caesar himself  in Tijuana for her many times. Garlic, worcesterhire, lemon juice, olive oil, coddled egg, s&p, hearts of romaine, crouton, parmesan cheese.

fwiw
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:25:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I like my chovie on a piece of fresh crusty french bread.

mmmmmm....Heaven!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I like them on pizzia pie.

I like them with salads.

I like them wrapped in salami with some cream cheese and chives.

I like them alone.

Without anchoives in my life I am sad.

My name is ZitiForBreakfast and I love anchoives.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#34]
If I ordered pizza in while living in the dorms I'd usually have a gang of freeloaders show up at about the same time the pizza guy did...Anchovies cured that in a hurry......Hey does anybody wanna slice...don't say I didn't offer!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I saw a show on Anchovies on the Food network.  Apparently the ones we get here don't hold a candle to the ones in the souteastern France/Italian region of the Med.  I was in heaven watching that show.  I love anchovies - what pisses me off is when I go to a restaurant and order a Caeser salad and ask for a side of anchovies, I often get blank stares and 5 minutes later they come back and say they have no anchovies in the restaurant - ack!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I saw a show on Anchovies on the Food network.  Apparently the ones we get here don't hold a candle to the ones in the souteastern France/Italian region of the Med.  I was in heaven watching that show.  I love anchovies - what pisses me off is when I go to a restaurant and order a Caeser salad and ask for a side of anchovies, I often get blank stares and 5 minutes later they come back and say they have no anchovies in the restaurant - ack!

I can not stand when you order anchovies, and they bring you four of them on a plate

Go back and get me my anchovies, man!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can not stand when you order anchovies, and they bring you four of them on a plate

Go back and get me my anchovies, man!

Word up!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Well I feel like a retard!  My wife went to the grocery store and asked if I wanted anything.  I told here to get some sardines.  She brought them home and I eagerly cracked open the can.  There they were, 4 large fish that looked nothing like what you guys pictured.  So I tried them out and they were pretty good.  It appears that they leave one of the internal organs in?  Maybe the liver or something?  Anyway, they tasted alright but it was hard to get past the internals and spinal cord.  So I thought to myself maybe I got the wrong brand or something so I came looking for this thread.  Suprise I didnt find it searching for sardine.  Thats because I bought the wrong thing!  gonna have to try again tomorrow!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top