Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/20/2004 9:55:04 AM EST
Which of the members here have not served in the military??
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:55:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:55:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 9:56:11 AM EST by photoman]
i'd be one, any particular reason you'd like to know?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:56:51 AM EST
4F
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:57:04 AM EST
not i. army yanked my scholarship for not going to class. bastards.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:57:38 AM EST
List of shame, add me to it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:58:16 AM EST

+1

want to, wife won't let me
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:58:47 AM EST
Me.

Why?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:58:53 AM EST
I haven't. Medical separation from the Navy for history of Bronchial Asthma. They cut me before I finished bootcamp.

I got my head shave, $250, a pair of dungarees, a pair of boondockers, a Navy tee-shirt, and a Navy sweatshirt in exchange for spending the 2 coldest months of the year in Great Lakes Illinois.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:59:30 AM EST
I have spina bifida and am confined to a wheelchair, so I can't serve, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:00:08 AM EST
Just a lowly civvie checking in here, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:00:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By spinaBifida:
I have spina bifida and am confined to a wheelchair, so I can't serve, unfortunately.

'

Coward!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:00:58 AM EST
I have not served. Hope to be a SEAL but you never know.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:01:07 AM EST
Proud Taxpayer, here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:01:51 AM EST
I havent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:02:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 10:03:49 AM EST by Palo_Duro]
I, and many like me, served so you didn't have to. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

Be proud to be American, vote, be a good citizen, and support the troops.

Do not be ashamed.

I am proud of my service, yes. But I do not look down upon those who haven't served.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:02:48 AM EST
Wish I had.

Not ashamed I didn't.

Proud of those that did. Thankful to them as well.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:04:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 10:04:54 AM EST by Leisure_Shoot]
Would you have signed up in 92-94?
I was 18 in 91.

I would now, if warranted, or maybe even in 90-91.

Look at it this way.... if Kerry were to win, would you sign up?
No wonder he is talking about a draft.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:04:31 AM EST
HA! HA! HA!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:05:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I haven't. Medical separation from the Navy for history of Bronchial Asthma. They cut me before I finished bootcamp.

I got my head shave, $250, a pair of dungarees, a pair of boondockers, a Navy tee-shirt, and a Navy sweatshirt in exchange for spending the 2 coldest months of the year in Great Lakes Illinois.

I did Great Lakes in January! Brrrrr...
Then Orlando in August! Whew....

Can you tell that I don't make great choices?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:05:56 AM EST
I tried to get into the Navy and the Air Force however I was to "heavy" otherwise known as fat. Since then I have started to loose the weight and what not.. which brings me to my question..

Now that I have a career, one that I like, what are the laws concerning working people who want to join the reserves? Does your employer have to keep your job open for you while you go through boot camp?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:06:05 AM EST
I havn't what's it to ya?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:06:51 AM EST
I didn't. No regrets...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:07:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 10:07:47 AM EST by Gloftoe]

Originally Posted By Palo_Duro:
I, and many like me, served so you didn't have to. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

Be proud to be American, vote, be a good citizen, and support the troops.

Do not be ashamed.

I am proud of my service, yes. But I do not look down upon those who haven't served.

And I thank you, and those like you EVERY day for it.
No, I have not served, Now that I'm getting older I keep thinking I maybe should have joined up straight out of high school. Did the college route instead.

If I had it to do over again, I'd choose to serve.

ETA: Yeah, why do you want to know?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:07:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By FatMan:

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

I did Great Lakes in January! Brrrrr...
Then Orlando in August! Whew....

Can you tell that I don't make great choices?

Mustering for breakfast in December sucked!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:07:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By wedge1082:

4F...and I ain't got NO shame.

I support how I can!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:08:45 AM EST
I didn't serve. I came close to enlisting in the Marines as a senior in high school, but after they saw my scores on the ASVAB and learned that I had been programming since I was 8, they offered me an administrative MOS....

I decided that if that's what they were going to give me, I should just go make the money in the private sector doing the same thing.

5 months later, all my friends who enlisted were deployed in Desert Shield.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:08:47 AM EST
I didn't serve unless you count my families business. Graduated highschool in 1978, being they quit the draft after VietNam I figured service was volunteer. Didn't even fall in to the group who had to go sign up at the post office.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:10:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:10:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Originally Posted By Palo_Duro:

And I thank you, and those like you EVERY day for it.

I appreciate that, sir. And it was great seeing you and your family again yesterday.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:10:46 AM EST
I'm diabetic and legally blind, so I'[m out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:12:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
...if you are the person who doesn't need to serve because I went in, then I am honored to do it.

Excellent choice of words! Hooah!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:13:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 10:33:47 AM EST by Synister1]
Talked to a recuiter, Was decided I wouldn't have made it past the medical (then) for a knee problem. Now I know the knee problem was mis-diagnosed and would have qualified if they did a x-ray during the medical. But I'm a diabetic now so I'll just keep assisting the ones i know and keep shipping into thier pay via taxes.

My family has some history with military as Army & AF.
My goal was the Marines. My grandfather landed in Normandy at Omaha. My uncle served in Nam.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:13:37 AM EST

And why wedge should it be a list of shame? Some folks can't, some don't want to, some ain;t cut out for it. Everyone makes their own call about it. There is no shame in not serving.

Now if Uncle same said hey you ya you, get yer ass over here we need you(ala draft) and you take off to Canada well than there is much shame to be felt for abandoning your country(thats what I see that as, just my opinion)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:13:39 AM EST
The question should be, who wanted to serve but couldn't.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:14:49 AM EST
I didn't. Both my grandfather (a pilot) and father served in the Navy. I was accepted into the USNA at Annapolis, but I decided that military life wasn't for me. I took an NCAA swimming scholarship instead. I still have my Naval Academy acceptance letter framed. I don't regret my decision, but I often wonder how different my life would be had I chosen to attend the USNA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:15:32 AM EST

Now that I'm getting older I keep thinking I maybe should have joined up straight out of high school. Did the college route instead.

If I had it to do all over again, I still wouldn't, because I did very well for myself in the same years. I'd be unwilling to roll the dice again due to the satisfactory known when compared to the unknown.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:15:54 AM EST
I didn't for various reasons. My father and his father before him were in the Army, however I did not join. I do support our troops (and a few of my buddies who are in the sandbox) in different ways.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:16:10 AM EST
No. But thank you to those who did.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:18:11 AM EST
Not yet. Almost signed up a couple weeks ago but have since decided to finish up my sophomore year in college before I enlist. Advanced rank and a little more time to prepare mentally and physically. This time next year I probably won't be in this comfy house...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:21:40 AM EST
Nope. Nothin but admiration for those that do, but it wasn't for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:22:20 AM EST
I did not. I wanted to enlist in the Army and be a Ranger but I let my dad talk me out of it. My uncle had a particularly bad experience in the Army and my Father kept preaching about how they make empty promises and once your in you will get screwed and sent to whatever branch they need you. I regretted the decision for some time, but I would not have met my wife or had the two wonderful children that I have now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:27:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:

Don't get so bent out of shape, I'm just curious. Add me to that list also. I'd just like to know where we all stand in certain things. Is that so wrong
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:28:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 10:30:59 AM EST by photoman]

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:

Now that I'm getting older I keep thinking I maybe should have joined up straight out of high school. Did the college route instead.

If I had it to do all over again, I still wouldn't, because I did very well for myself in the same years. I'd be unwilling to roll the dice again due to the satisfactory known when compared to the unknown.

Funny how that works, for me if I had it all to do over again, I'd have gone in, or even went the ROTC route. I still had some growing up to do before I went off to college, that I didn't do. God knows I had enough friends in NROTC in college that were trying to get me to go that route, and man should I have listened. More than anything I needed the disapline and either a couple years in the military before college, or even probably ROTC while in college would have made a world of differeance for me for the better. But as they say the past is the past, no use trying to live in it, learn and move on.

I might add though that even than if I had wanted to, I still wouldn't have gotten in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:29:36 AM EST
I protested the war with Kerry and the rest of the "make love, not war" generation.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:29:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 10:31:20 AM EST by wedge1082]

Originally Posted By photoman:

And why wedge should it be a list of shame? Some folks can't, some don't want to, some ain;t cut out for it. Everyone makes their own call about it. There is no shame in not serving.

Now if Uncle same said hey you ya you, get yer ass over here we need you(ala draft) and you take off to Canada well than there is much shame to be felt for abandoning your country(thats what I see that as, just my opinion)

Only talking of myself. I have no reason that did not do it, and I always wished that I had.

If I could do it again, I would have joined right out of high school. What can I say I did many stupid things in my youth.

eta - I would never avoid a draft.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:34:04 AM EST
USN 1984- 1990

I try to explain to my friends, the ones that express "guilt" for "not joining when they could", that some (meaning quite a few) of the experiences of being in the military are highly over rated.

This thread is pretty much useless if you ask me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:38:19 AM EST
It's hard for me to remember everything I did in those days. I rememeber having a lot of fun but I don't think I was in anyones military. No.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:39:20 AM EST
You need to change the title of this thread to reflect your meaning of military service.

I have never worn the uniform of the United States Armed Forces, but have served in many capacities:

*As an Alter Boy at my church as a child.
*As a campaign volunteer for George H.W. Bush in 1989
*As a volunteer EMT on my local rescue squad
*As a police officer
*As a volunteer with the American Red Cross

Additionally, by being a truck driver, I provide a service vital to the national defense of the USA by transporting food stuffs, manufactured goods, and US Military property across the country.

Certainly, folks who wear the uniform and go in harms way DESERVE our gratitude and praise! But I AM NOT less of a person because I did not choose to serve.

I pay taxes and obey the laws of our country and the several states that make it up. I AM A CITIZEN, and therefore HAVE NO SHAME.

Those who do feel shame, for whatever reason, need to reasses thier life and make changes accordingly.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:41:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dolomite:
USN 1984- 1990

I try to explain to my friends, the ones that express "guilt" for "not joining when they could", that some (meaning quite a few) of the experiences of being in the military are highly over rated.

This thread is pretty much useless if you ask me.

Maybe a "Better" thread (At least funnier) would be..."Who served with people they wish HADN'T?" (I've got a list about as long as Kerry's position on anything! lol)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:44:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By A2sights:

Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:

Don't get so bent out of shape, I'm just curious. Add me to that list also. I'd just like to know where we all stand in certain things. Is that so wrong

Nothing wrong with that. I have asthma, so military was a no go for me
I tried to join but when the recruiter called to talk to me at home one day my mom answered and told him about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top