Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 10:58:36 AM EDT
www.thedailyaztec.com/Archive/Current/opinion/opinion03.html

What if this cartoon featured a black guy with a NAACP hat, there would be a uproar but since its just another stupid white person its ok!

good article on the AWB
thedailyaztec.com/Archive/Fall-2004/09-20-04/opinion/opinion04.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTL.

eta - Race trap baby!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IBTL.

eta - Race trap baby!

but you get my point right?

the view is look at white people they are sooooo stupid.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTL.

eta - Race trap baby!

but you get my point right?

the view is look at white people they are sooooo stupid.

I am not sure, I did not even click on the link.

eta - ok just looked at it.  Looks like Sarge to me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

good article on the AWB

That  chick is an idiot.

Where's my newly legal grenade launcher?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Holy shit!

This cartoonist almost got it.  It ain't the weapon, it's the person pulling the trigger that turns ordinary objects into killings machines...

But then I notice how the "Bayonet Lug" points to the sling swivel and the "Semi Automatic Trigger" points near the charge handle.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good article on the AWB

That  chick is an idiot.

Where's my newly legal grenade launcher?

yeah i dont think she proofed it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Holy shit!

This cartoonist almost got it.  It ain't the weapon, it's the person pulling the trigger that turns ordinary objects into killings machines...

But then I notice how the "Bayonet Lug" points to the sling swivel and the "Semi Automatic Trigger" points near the charge handle.

Sly

IBTL

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, white people are still the majority in this country.  And I am willing to bet that white people make up the vast majority of NRA members as well as the membership here.  It follows to reason that when making this political cartoon, that the cartoonist would depict a white man in an NRA t-shirt when they drew the cartoon. I don't think that the cartoon is racist against whites, but it is clearly biased against gun owners.  Particularly owners of EBRs like us.  So a big "fuck you" the cartoonist for that!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, white people are still the majority in this country.  And I am willing to bet that white people make up the vast majority of NRA members as well as the membership here.  It follows to reason that when making this political cartoon, that the cartoonist would depict a white man in an NRA t-shirt when they drew the cartoon. I don't think that the cartoon is racist against whites, but it is clearly biased against gun owners.  Particularly owners of EBRs like us.  So a big "fuck you" the cartoonist for that!

and as a group blacks commit the most gun crime so maybe the guy should be black??
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I am embarrassed to be an Aztec.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
At least they didn't call it a clip
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
<snip>

Sly

I think the cartoonist deserves a "you win the prize" pic.

Hoppy8420
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www.thedailyaztec.com/Archive/Current/opinion/opinion03.html

What if this cartoon featured a black guy with a NAACP hat, there would be a uproar but since its just another stupid white person its ok!

good article on the AWB

umm how was that a good article on the AWB??
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Ow. I assume lots of LTE are flying her way?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Now, if that had been an Asian dude, do I have a right to be outraged?  Or are Asians, as a group, too successful and self-sustaining to be a minority?    
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and as a group blacks commit the most gun crime so maybe the guy should be black??

Yeah, but the cartoon is not about gun crime.  Its about assault weapons.  And hasn't our arguement all along been that AWs arent used in crime?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+100
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#19]

ETA - I'm tired of being labeled as a killer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but the cartoon is not about gun crime.  Its about assault weapons.  And hasn't our arguement all along been that AWs arent used in crime?

Yeah but the artist is saying that white NRA members are the real killers the rifle is just a killing machine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#21]

If that is the kind of carnage we see with nothing worse than a shotgun available on the mainstream market, just imagine what the evening news would look like with gun shops selling Uzis.

this chick is so misinformed, it isn't even funny. veronica, just keep digesting the blatant lies the gun control groups feed you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#22]
i hate clicking on links damnit!!!!!!!!!!  so to save everybody else...........

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Ya know, all those school shootings she mentioned in that article happened AFTER the AWB took effect...so much for her theory...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I didn't know the front sling loop was really the bayo lug...  hr

+1
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#25]
More ill-informed rhetoric.  Oh well, the ban is dead, it's my turn to laugh.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

ETA - I'm tired of being labeled as a killer.

Your not. People like to generalize. It makes them feel better. I have a tendency to do it as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Ummm....am I the only one who doesn't get that cartoon?

All I get from that is that they don't like the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Past shootings show a need for gun control
By Veronica Rollin, Contributing Columnist

I remember a few years back on the warm spring day of April 20, 1999. The sun was shining, the flowers were blooming and in a small town in Colorado, two students were turning their pleasant high school into a bloodbath.

Of course, the Columbine High School shooting is not the only school shooting tragedy. According to www.infoplease.com, in October 1997, student Luke Woodham shot up his school in Pearl, Miss. In December of the same year, Michael Carneal opened fire in his high school in West Paducah, Kent. And, according to www.cnn.com, in Feb. 2000, a seven-year-old walked into class at Buell Elementary in Flint, Mich. and fatally shot a classmate.

In fact, according to adventurer Robert Young Pelton's The World's Most Dangerous Places, in the year 2000 alone more than 10,000 people were murdered by gunfire. Death by bullets has made America so dangerous that it is the only first world nation in Pelton's book, which is mostly filled with the likes of Chechnya.

But, despite the fact America obviously has developed the world's worst gun problem, Congress allowed the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban to expire - meaning Americans are now free to make, buy and sell these arms like toys. Take, for instance, the friendly AK-47 assault rifle, which has brought such peace to happy places like Afghanistan.

Of course, I am being completely sarcastic. America is a country where high schools have metal detectors and inner city children sleep in bathtubs to dodge constant drive-bys. Allowing assault weapons back onto the legal marketplace will only make both precautions more necessary as the murder rate rises.

What makes me so confident the murder rate will rise? Right now, according to Pelton, America has more than 220 million guns in a country of about 280 million people. That means, statistically, there are eleven guns for every fourteen Americans. Of these firearms, 65 million are handguns - a good indication they're probably not used to hunt ducks - and 3 million new more enter the market every year.

The result - gun-related murders of teenagers have shot up 30 percent in the last decade, and homicide is the second leading cause of death for American youth.

In my hometown of Sacramento, people can't even stay at nightclubs too late because of frequent shootings. In some schools, students are not allowed locker use because of guns being brought to class. Even in my own high school, students tried to steal guns from a sporting goods store so they could shoot up the campus.

Congress needs to wake up. This country has a gun problem no wealthy nation should have. If anything, we need more gun control, not less. We need fewer guns on the market, not more.

Furthermore, America needs to wake up too. The violence in the nation comes from the proliferation of guns and a pervasive, irrational gun culture. The reasons for rampant gun use are not because of Hollywood, Eminem or "The Sopranos" - they are because of Smith, Wesson, Beretta and Colt.

The Assault Weapons Ban should not only be renewed, but it should come without an expiration date because the threat will never expire. As long as there are killing machines like the AK-47 in this world, they need to be kept off our streets and out of our country.

Some might argue the ban was not necessary. Some might argue the ban violates our Second Amendment rights.

To the people who think the ban is unnecessary, I say consider the statistics stated earlier - murders occurred with the Assault Weapons Ban in the law books. If that is the kind of carnage we see with nothing worse than a shotgun available on the mainstream market, just imagine what the evening news would look like with gun shops selling Uzis.

We would long for the days of only 10,000 gun-related murders a year.

- Veronica Rollin is a political science sophomore.

- This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec. Send e-mail to [email protected]. Anonymous letters will not be printed - include your full name, major and year in school.

You call that a good article?????
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
But then I notice how the "Bayonet Lug" points to the sling swivel and the "Semi Automatic Trigger" points near the charge handle.hr
I think the cartoonist deserves a "you win the prize" pic.

Hoppyh.gif8420

I agree  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/flushdraw/Youwin.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top