Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2008 12:50:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm fairly impressed that the guy's voice did not fluctuate one bit during the whole process. Seemed slightly painful, at least.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#2]
That is going just a bit too far, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Why? If the chip is only programmed for the safe you have no potential abuse by hackers. Also, it would be incredibly convenient in a SHTF scenario.

Didn't seem like he experienced any serious pain either.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? If the chip is only programmed for the safe you have no potential abuse by hackers. Also, it would be incredibly convenient in a SHTF scenario.

Thw problem is that he choose a poor insertion point which has a high chance of rejection.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thw problem is that he choose a poor insertion point which has a high chance of rejection.

Ah, had no idea about that. I know very little about the efficiency of RFID chips. What made his insertion point a poor choice? Skin too thick?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only issue I see is what happens when you are having technical issues with the RFID chip/home built electronics. It would really suck if you really needed to get into your safe and then come to find out that , something needs a reboot, or I forgot to iron out that bug.

Pretty cool though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow crazy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:36:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only issue I see is what happens when you are having technical issues with the RFID chip/home built electronics. It would really suck if you really needed to get into your safe and then come to find out that , something needs a reboot, or I forgot to iron out that bug.

Pretty cool though.

RFID chips are about as reliable as a credit card (assuming they are installed properly). Have you ever had a credit card fail on you?

I haven't.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#9]
IBMOTD

In Before "Mark Of The Devil!"
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty cool though.

RFID chips are about as reliable as a credit card (assuming they are installed properly). Have you ever had a credit card fail on you?

I haven't.

you have never had a card lose its magnetic strip?

I have like 3 times....
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#11]
clever.

I like thier choice of music as well.

RFID is gaining popularity these days.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty cool though.

I haven't.

I have like 3 times....

RFID card will not change where as you can change the data on a magnetic strip...credit card.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
....RFID chips are about as reliable as a credit card (assuming they are installed properly). Have you ever had a credit card fail on you?

I haven't.

I have like 3 times....

overall,.. not really. I had one CC that wouldn't work 100% of the time.. but that was a couple years ago and I haven't had any problems since (most retailers have upgraded their equipment over the old POS they used to use.

I DO have problems with hotel room 'keys'.. if I keep on in my pocket near my cellphone, they are sure not to work later on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
....RFID chips are about as reliable as a credit card (assuming they are installed properly). Have you ever had a credit card fail on you?

I haven't.

I have like 3 times....

overall,.. not really. I had one CC that wouldn't work 100% of the time.. but that was a couple years ago and I haven't had any problems since (most retailers have upgraded their equipment over the old POS they used to use.

I DO have problems with hotel room 'keys'.. if I keep on in my pocket near my cellphone, they are sure not to work later on.

Yes, cellphones kill hotel room keys.

I've had lots of credit card strips go bad over the years.

RFID I don't think would be affected.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#15]
No thanks.
Perhaps a ring or a wristband or something.
This...No thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry but I don't trust machines. Nothing is 100% foolproof.

You want to keep a handgun handy? WEAR THE DAMN THING! You're going to sleep? Put it in the nightstand next to you. It's not fucking rocket science.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

at blackhat this year, they showed just how simple it is to steal an RFID... it is not as "secure" as people think...
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

at blackhat this year, they showed just how simple it is to steal an RFID... it is not as "secure" as people think...

In order to 'steal' the RFID in this case, they would have to want to....

Meaning they would have to know it opens his safe,

Unless he has it linked to CC accounts and uses it for more than his safe, security through secrecy works well enough for this purpose....
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#19]
What gauge needle is that 10, 12?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#20]
So I want to see him open the safe with it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What gauge needle is that 10, 12?

I'd say that's about right.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Mucho stupido. Did he even show it working?? too many things can go wrong with an RFID.
Was it an active or passive RFID? He didn't say. If it is active he'll HAVE to replace it sooner or later. If it is passive he better hope that A. his skin does not block the signal B. that is does not interfere with the RFIDs ability to get power from the radio source. C. that it does not malfunction. If it is Passive he will have to be EXTREMELY close to the source for it to work.
It would be so much easier to just put one on a watch or any item you HAVE to wear 90% of the time. (except sleeping perhaps)
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Unless he has it linked to CC accounts and uses it for more than his safe, security through secrecy works well enough for this purpose....

If he's so secretive about it, how are we about to talk about it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#24]
bad placement(as said earlier), will be rejected.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Neat concept.  I would be hesitant to have an RFID chip implanted... but, now, if I could have one in my phone, or something that I almost always have on my person, I'd love to be able to walk up to my car, have it unlock for me, then turn a knob or press a button to have it start.   Then have it shut off and lock itself when I walk away from it.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Welcome to the end of days, they'll be implanting those things in our foreheads soon to use as credit cards.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not sure ya'll understand how RFID works. It's a passive system that is activated by a field on the entry device. Think of the proximity cards you use for work. Your badge does not send out any signals, but when it is brought near a magnetic field it has a reciever in it which uses the field to then generate a signal back to the reciever, identifying you. There is very little chance that these passive devices will "go bad". Even if they do, a quick incision with an scalpel and the tag will come right out.

I do not think these implants will experience rejection issues - these have long been used in livestock and pets with great success.

All that being said, the ability to "clone" a RFID device is easily available. Yes, there are easier ways to break into houses/cars/etc, but having a "master key" to everything in your life I do not believe is a wise idea.

RFID is the way of the future, however it is just a digital replacement for keys. Normal keys do not authenticate themselves to the lock - there is no way to tell if it is an original or a duplicate. RFID suffers from the safe problem.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#28]
thats one big ass fuckin needle
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
thats one big ass fuckin needlehollow spear
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Uh, I hate needles.

Thing was friggin huge.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Welcome to the end of days, they'll be implanting those things in our foreheads soon to use as credit cards.

There is a Sci-Fi story where everybody on Earth has them injected into their arms.  The “Official” reason is to help locate bodies in case of nature or artificial disaster.  But in reality it was a way of keep track of dissidents, criminals, dissidents, etc.

Go look up the novel “The Weapon”.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#33]
The same idea has been used to unlock car doors. Big_Scrun posted a video about his business partner at the time showing it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty cool though.

I haven't.

Yes, I've had a couple of CC go bad.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#36]
ill stick with biometric
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, had no idea about that. I know very little about the efficiency of RFID chips. What made his insertion point a poor choice? Skin too thick?

RFID chips are supposed to be implanted at the base of your brain on the back of your neck.

When they are implanted on the hand, all someone has to do is chop the hand off and then they have access to your stuff.

Assuming they know you have a chip installed....

As long as they knew where the chip was installed in you, regardless of location, it would be extremely easy to remove the chip.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Sorry but I don't trust machines. Nothing is 100% foolproof.

You want to keep a handgun handy? WEAR THE DAMN THING! You're going to sleep? Put it in the nightstand next to you. It's not fucking rocket science.

If you really don't trust machines, you shouldn't be using a machine to defend yourself.  You should be using your bare hands.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone else think that the dude getting the RFID looks like Drake from Magpul?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top