Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2003 1:50:39 PM EDT
 Does anyone have expierence with either the electronic Pact combination powder measure and scale or the Lyman 1200 unit with similar features? Just looking for reliability and accuracy recommendations. Thanks,

David
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Pact scale, super accurate, easy to use.  Never needed any help or support, but I hear that is pretty good too if you should need it.  I've had and/or used 7 or 8 scales over the years, this is the best I"ve tried.

MournSword
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the RCBS version.

I would advise skipping the whole thing, except the electronic balance.

The powder dispenser is slow, slow, slow.  I went back to using the dipper with the electronic balance, except when working up loads.

I would not use the dispenser now, except that it cost me real money, and I have to justify it.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have the RCBS version.

I would advise skipping the whole thing, except the electronic balance.

The powder dispenser is slow, slow, slow.  I went back to using the dipper with the electronic balance, except when working up loads.

I would not use the dispenser now, except that it cost me real money, and I have to justify it.  
View Quote

I thought the usual usage was to manually dump some powder onto the scale and let the scale and powder reservoir/dispenser do the final grains. In this usage model, something like a dipper (coarse measure) would work fine while letting the scale/dispenser do the final fine-tuning (final few grains). Is this wrong? Seems like letting the dispenser do the full load would be WAY too slow.

Thanks,
Kevin
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I add about 2/3 charge to the electronic balance with a dipper, but it still requires your full attention.  Not much time gain over using a manual balance alone with judicious dipping.

Ideally, you could be priming cases or seating bullets while weighing charges without waiting for the system to weigh charges.  It is at its best for weighing up small numbers of like charges, such as in working up loads.

It is also good in weighing rifle charges with stick powders like 3031 that crunch in a powder dispenser.

Other than that, throwing charges is the only way to load.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the information, I think I will take a hard look at the Redding powder dispenser ans a better scale than the Lee that I now have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top