Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 4:31:31 PM EDT

this may seem like a stupid question, but with all the stuff going on, i figure it couldnt hurt to stock up on some things.

but, it's very rare that i buy any canned goods. im in a small town with tons of fresh produce and farmers markets. and the grocery stores are only minutes away. i can easily shop a couple times a week or whenever i want fresh ingrediants.

which canned goods make the most sense nutritionally/financially to stash?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Campbell's bean with bacon.  very yummy.

"mmm,mmm good!"
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Beer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Fruits to prevent scurvy.

I think most of the canned boiled vegtables have the nutrients cooked out of them.

Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

"mmm,mmm good!"
View Quote

Please reference the latest gas mask topic.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Campbell's soups, Dinty Moore beef stew, canned veggies, and a couple of canned hams.  Canned fruit juice is good and adds vitamin C.  You basically want something that you can heat & eat, or eat cold if necessary.  A little canned fruit is a good morale booster.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Ranch Style Beans.  Eat enough and the folks that came to your house because they weren't prepared will leave and take their chances.

Seriously, though; beans, fruits, vegetables, stews, soups, etc.  Just check the labels and stock up on the ones with the most nutrients.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
spam must have spam      mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Beans, rice and anything else that you just have to add water to.  Lipton dry soups and dry noodles.  Also, plenty of the dry gravy packets that you add water to.  Gravy can make a lot of "exotic" meats paletable.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Beer.
View Quote

This is the most important item [:D]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"mmm,mmm good!"
View Quote

TRUE! I love Bean w/Bacon.
But one thing, if water is a problem then you might want to get can goods that won't need water. That way you can save water for drinking.
it's just a thought. I have been looking at the heat and eat soups that won't need any water. They do cost more but may worth it's weight in gold for that reason.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't go wrong with Beans.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Haggis. (My wife is from Scotland- you can get it in tins...)

Hey- don't knock it, 'til you've tried it.

Haggis- the other other white meat....

Say it again- Haggis.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Whoop Ass.  Preferably in the larger #10 can.     Oh, I know it's a cheesy line but someone had to say it....   I would stock up on as much pork related products as possible.  You can eat it or use it for cover.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Who in the hell drinks beer that comes out of a CAN?

If it's not in a bottle it most likely is swill.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#16]
One can of Corn..  

Cause you can eat it over and over and over
again..   [puke]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Canned goods you say?  Let's see...
MK23 suppressed
M92SF
HK MP5SD
 [;D]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Smoked clams

Kippers

Chef BoyarDee

Dinty Moore

Hormel chili
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#19]
PORK AND BEANS.. lol
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Corned Beef Hash!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#21]
beanbagger: I would buy from the store whatever you enjoy eating canned. I'd be the first to admit canned food ain't gonna taste like the fresh stuff, and would probably taste downright nasty to you.  Or if you don't want to do that, invest in some freeze-dried camping food in #10 enemeled steel cans from Mountain House. Mountain House claims 30 years shelf life.[url]http://www.mountainhouse.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Have'nt been putting cans aside for long so my
inventory includes so far:

1)Cambell's Chunky soup:Chicken&mushroom,
sirlonburger,classic chicken noodel......
soon to add more.(These are nice because they
they have a relativly "safe" and simple
pull top and do not need water.)

2)Cambell's Chicken noodel,vegetable and Bean&
bacon.

3)La Choy beef chow mein(why beef?Because their
chicken might be cat.Then again their beef might
be dog...so I degress.}
What is nice about this is it comes in two
seperate cans that are attached.If times got
really bad a meal could be made of the beef and
gravy(I have done it before I love it by itself}
and a seperate meal from the vegetables,both
are good individually.OR...eat half and barter
the other can,whatever.

What ever you do make sure you will eat it.
I had nearly 100cans of vienna sausages between
my parents and I for Y2K.I ate a can back in Feb of 2000 and
gave the rest to a local food pantry.Most every
thing else,luckily, was used up.

I pity the thought of me trying to eat cold
vienna sausages for very long,I have a hard time
eating one can without gagging.

And remeber:Canned food is next to worthless
if you don't have water,you plan on food to
be scarce why would clean,purified water be
any different?

Edited because some of words did'nt make sense.
I luv to spelle lik a secund gradar.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think most of the canned boiled vegtables have the nutrients cooked out of them.

View Quote

Drink the juice from the veggies, also.

FWIW, listening to you guys leads me to rec some good multivitamins with minerals. Lay off the silver, though!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Buy foods that you like to eat!
View Quote

Definitely!!

Quoted:
multivitamins with minerals
View Quote

Expiration dates are generally 2-3 years on items of this nature.  Do you have any idea on how long they truly should last if sealed?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The most important thing is:

[size=4]Buy foods that you like to eat![/size=4]

If you wouldn't normally touch Dinty Moore or Spam, don't bother buying it.

-Troy
View Quote

Your post has some merit to it but I remember eating a can of Dinty Moores beef Stew and thinking it was the best tasting item I had, at that point, put in my mouth. You can correctly guees that I was very hungry.
I still keep a few cans that get rotated of that stuff, but I have yet to eat it again.
That was 1985
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Drink the juice from the veggies, also.

FWIW, listening to you guys leads me to rec some good multivitamins with minerals. Lay off the silver, though!
View Quote

Fine,the silver is gone.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
But I can still drink mercury,can't I?
[:D](don't drink toxic metals,it ain't good
fore ya'lls brain powers and the like}[:D]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Hell, yes mercury is fine. If you ingest enough of it everything will seem just fine and you may even be happier than ever!

I'M KIDDING, I'M KIDDING, I'M JUST KIDDING!!!

As for vitamins I wouldn't use much after expiration date. If in a SHTF type scenario I might use somewhat longer. Most of the canned goods mentioned actually seem fine to me and people mention reading labels to check nutritional content, etc. Very good ideas, overall. I just wanted people to think about vitamins and minerals as well. I'll specifically mention VitC, Vit D, Calcium, and Iron. Shortages of these are likely to get you in trouble sooner. Deficincy in Vit C=Scurvy, in Vit D=Rickets, Iron=anemia(more of a prob with blood loss and in women). Other deficiencies can also get you in trouble.
Vit A,D,E,K are fat soluble and are found there. Vit D is produced in our skin when out in the sun and is necessary to put calcium in bone(is now added to milk). Many vits are added to the foods that require them. Thiamine to rice, niacin to grains, etc. Vit B12 is in meat. It, like cholesterol is an animal product only and is not found in plants but most of us have relatively long term reserves. There are many vits and each has its own deficiency syndrome. FWIW, vitamins act as co-enzymes; they bind to enzymes and allow them to function. Trace minerals also fulfill this function in some enzymes.
Interestingly, our bodies tend to crave foods that contain substances in which we are deficient. I have yet to start chewing on the good silverware, though. Heheheh.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
beans and motherf**kers were my favorites
View Quote

I had a can of C-rats when I was in bootcamp(1976) that was dated in the late teens or twenties. Don't remember exactly anymore but they were fucking old. Tasted about the same as any other date, though. Damn things sucked. Gotta wonder if there were any vitamins left at all. Just short term calories, probably.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#29]
the beef and vegetable campbels chunky soups have a decent balance of vitamins according to the label
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
the beef and vegetable campbels chunky soups have a decent balance of vitamins according to the label
View Quote

Yeah, they're high on my list also.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Expiration dates are generally 2-3 years on items of this nature.  Do you have any idea on how long they truly should last if sealed?
View Quote

I have called up one of the major canning companies in preparation for Y2K, the reason why they have expiration dates is because the "taste" starts to deteriorate, i.e. the food does not taste as good.  The said if the integrity of the can is intact, it should last for 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#32]
10 year old grape juice can stand in for beer.  Only if in vain desperation!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Who in the hell drinks beer that comes out of a CAN?

If it's not in a bottle it most likely is swill.
View Quote

Excuse me?  Guinness in cans?  Hello?  What are you, some kinda APW drinker?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#34]
When I was in the Corps we frequently had C-Rats that were from the late 1940s.  I didn't smoke but the guys who did would complain about the cigaretts.  Evidently they were dried out and wouldn't smoke as much as burn like a fuse.  They used to call Pall Malls firecrackers.

What to stock?  Spices!  You can doctor up lots of things and improve the taste.  When I was a grunt and had to lift my own sh!t.  We were pretty careful as to what we chose to pack.  Only stuff that was really useful, or mandated (not always the same) made the trip.  Yet lots of guys would carry a small bottle of Tabasco sauce.  Potent, a little goes a long way, a small bottle would last forever and seemed to work on most everything except canned peaches, seedless blackberry jam, poundcake, and the John Wayne candy bars. (C-Rats items)

I do a lot of cooking. Here's what I would recommend;

Salt
Pepper (if you're cooking outside and it's windy you'll be glad you got coarse or medium grind)
Ground Garlic (the finer the grind the quicker it dumps the flavor. If you'll be cooking one can of soup over a trioxane tab, then you'll want the fine stuff.)
Cinnamon (makes all the difference on canned applesauce)
Italian seasoning (a mixture of herbs good for boosting flavor of canned spagetti sauce)
Tabasco
Cellery Salt

These are the basic ones.  If space and weight are not an issue;
Basil
Ground Clove
Nutmeg
Bay Leaf
Chopped Chives (freeze dried)

Glass bottles keep best, but weigh more.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Some ideas:
Canned tuna
Rice
Beans
Meat spam(not regular spam)
Ramen (noodles)
sardines
canned fruit cocktails
canned peaches
canned pineapple
canned fruits in general
powder milk
evaporated milk
puddings
jell-o
instant chocolate (made with water, milk will make it more rich and tastier)
instant rices requiring only water
canned hams
canned chicken breast (warehouse clubs)
canned juices
powder gatorade
instant corn bread (sold in bags)
powdered eggs
oats old fashioned
This is just to give you an idea, but you get the general direction.  Date mark everything, and keep in mind that you need more if you can expect additional guests.  Water is needed for everything, a GOOD filter is essential, but boiling and bleach will also do it if needed.  I have a gas stove(lpg with my own tank) just because of the convenience in regards to boiling water and cooking when the electrity is gone.  Do a search, and you will find more info everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

"mmm,mmm good!"
View Quote

Ever since I discovered Bush's Baked Beans, you couldn't pay me to eat Campbells.  Really! Try 'em.

I also like Mrs. Fearnows Brunswick Stew. Mmmmm. Yummy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top