Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 8:14:17 AM EDT
Its just bizarre isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell of a thread you got here, OP.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#2]
It's how he learned to pronounce  it when he went over there on a passport that wasn't issued by the United States.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, that's definitely the correct way to pronounce Pakistan (I'm from India, that's how everyone in the region pronounces it). Pack-e-stan is just incorrect, sorry.

ETA: Glad to see that the usual educated responses are filtering in
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#4]
It's apparently impolite to ask about that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's how he learned to pronounce  it when he went over there on a passport that wasn't issued by the United States.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
That is how a Muslim pronounces the word....
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Our president is retarded.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#8]
And Iraq isn't "eye-RACK." It's "ear-ROCK."

But then again, we Americans can't even get the pronunciation of Iowa and Missouri right.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is how a Muslim pronounces the word....

+1
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Does it really matter?  Nuclear, nuculuar; Paahkeeston, Packistan.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#11]
FWIW, my Economics professor in college was a cousin of the late Benazir Bhutto, former PM of Pakistan, and he pronounces it the same way as BHO.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

His roommates at Occidental College were Pakistani (as in, they lived there).

He probably learned it from them.  He visited Pakistan on an unexplained trip during a period of US-Pakistan tension (1981 - the year he transferred from Occidental to Columbia) when US citizens were barred from travel to Pakistan and the Pakistani authorities were supposedly not admitting Americans on US passports.

He visited his college roommate.  He spent three weeks.

It appears that it was possible to visit on a US passport by getting a visa in India at a border crossing.  His college roommate's influential family might have pulled strings.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He probably learned it from them.  He visited Pakistan on an unexplained trip during a period of US-Pakistan tension (1981 - the year he transferred from Occidental to Columbia) when US citizens were barred from travel to Pakistan and the Pakistani authorities were supposedly not admitting Americans on US passports.

It appears that it was possible to visit on a US passport by getting a visa in India at a border crossing.  His college roommate's influential family might have pulled strings.

It's also possible he had an Indonesian passport at the time, considering he was adopted by his Indonesian step-father.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Christain client from Pakistan. He pronounces it "Pock-e-stan". Says he hated it there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have a Christain client from Pakistan. He pronounces it "Pock-e-stan". Says he hated it there.

Yeah but our president isn't from Pakistan, he's from Kenya. Why does he go out of his way to pronounce it that way?

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Indonesian accent?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No. This is a false internet rumor with no basis in reality.  The US State Department issued travel warnings during the 80s about Pakistan.  At no point were US citizen actually prevented from traveling to Pakistan on US passports, either by the US or by Pakistan.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

only to racists.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#19]
"Dat big-eared, brown feller on da TV der don't be soundin' like me and mah peoples.  He done talks funny!"

I'll trust the Ivy-leaguer who used to lived in Pakistan and Indonesia regarding his pronunciation of the name.

He may not be a good president, and he may be downright dangerous to us economically.  Fact is, he might even be presiding over the very economic decisions that spell our downfall!  Hurray!

However, the motherfucker knows how to pronounce "Pakistan."
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But then again, we Americans can't even get the pronunciation of Iowa and Missouri right.  

eye-oh-wah?

miss-ery?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Pock-E-ston.

That's the way they spell it on Barry's teleprompter.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#22]
It's like how non-Texans don't know how to pronounce 'the Brazos River'.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#24]
He pronounces Pakistan correctly and then fucks up the word Navy Corpsman 3 times in the same speak.

Tells you something.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Doesn't bother me as much as news people who pronounce Spanish names and locations with the accent.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mizurah!  

Actually....I've never heard someone screw up the pronunciation of Iowa.....Des Moines is another story.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He pronounces Pakistan correctly and then fucks up the word Navy Corpsman 3 times in the same speak.

Tells you something.

That's what I was gonna say.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I call it "Fudge-Pack-iss-tan."

Fuck 'em.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Let me be the first to dupe you

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1180051

18 hours into the whole "Osama is Dead" frenzy, and you guys should know by now that almost every topic you might think of has already been covered.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#30]
obama is a moranic douchebag
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#31]
doop-o-matic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top