Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/13/2005 7:41:27 AM EDT
just got a new safe for christmas and it smells like chineese people. anyone know how to get rid of the smell? i think its either the carpet or the glue. also the inside of the safe is 63% (ambiant 40%)pretty consiatantly. i have some desicant in there but it doesnt seem to do much. any ideas on how to get rid of the humidity. and no, i dont want to get a golden rod because i cant plug it in.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:45:03 AM EDT
try vacuming it or throwing a box of baking soda in there.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:49:56 AM EDT
Throw a few boxes of cigars in there, the humidity is about right.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:59:26 AM EDT
come on. anyone?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:01:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:

with the smell? that would ruin them in a hurry

and he'd still need to bring the humidity up closer to 70% just to be safe
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:02:09 AM EDT
Do the goldenrod. Dessicant is always going to be a maintanance item.

If you must go that route, get more, cook it more often. It doesnt' last forever, and yours sounds saturated.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:03:23 AM EDT
www.zorb-it.com, I use zorb-it and i have a golden rod.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:04:44 AM EDT
I have a golden rod and also Damp-Rid has safe packets that turn pink when they are used up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:07:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2005 8:07:49 AM EDT by 2whiskeyP]
Just tell the Chinese people to move out!

I have a Dri-Z-Air in mine. Seems to work pretty good.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:24:32 AM EDT
Do you mean that you dont have a hole in your safe for the cord of a Goldenrod or that you dont have an outlet nearby? The plug end of the Goldenrod comes off so you only need about a quarter inch hole, just big enough to get the wire itself thru then put the plug back on and insert into an outlet. The best part about a Goldenrod over dessicant is there is no maintenance or changing.

Dale
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:32:26 AM EDT
goldenrod
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:33:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By intimidator_3:
Do you mean that you dont have a hole in your safe for the cord of a Goldenrod or that you dont have an outlet nearby? The plug end of the Goldenrod comes off so you only need about a quarter inch hole, just big enough to get the wire itself thru then put the plug back on and insert into an outlet. The best part about a Goldenrod over dessicant is there is no maintenance or changing.

Dale

i know but the only holes in the safe are for mounting it to the wall so i cant use them
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:36:58 AM EDT
Bring it inside and take out the chinks
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:38:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By quijanos:

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:41:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By quijanos:

IBTL
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:45:34 AM EDT
Goldenrod will help a little but not much for that kind of humidity. I'd say do that and put a dehumidifier in the room also. That's what I do and I live in a humid area, though it is better in winter. During the summer I am dumping my dehumidifier at least daily to keep it about 37%.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:48:29 AM EDT
It will air out in a week or two. You are smelling the paint, fire board, new carpet and adhesives.

Put a goldenrod in there stat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:34:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:

with the smell? that would ruin them in a hurry

and he'd still need to bring the humidity up closer to 70% just to be safe

I have a few boxes of Papayos and Aristoffs that would benefit from the glue smell.

I like to store long term around 70%, but drop it down to 60-65% in my "ready to smoke" humidor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:51:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gotodengo:
just got a new safe for christmas and it smells like chineese people. anyone know how to get rid of the smell? i think its either the carpet or the glue. also the inside of the safe is 63% (ambiant 40%)pretty consiatantly. i have some desicant in there but it doesnt seem to do much. any ideas on how to get rid of the humidity. and no, i dont want to get a golden rod because i cant plug it in.

Smells like Chinese people?

Go ahead and say it.... say the "T-word". I DOUBLE DOG DARE you to say it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:13:11 PM EDT
Smells Chinese? I thought most safes are made in the USA. Mine is.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:15:53 PM EDT
I dont have one yet but humidity will be a big concern of mine.
Top Top