Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/29/2005 3:22:57 PM EDT
a couple of weeks ago i sent out a bayonet through priority mail with their flat rate 3.85 envelope, it got kicked back saying there was insufficient postage. i then took it down to my local habib handling center and he weighed it out and said that i needed an extra .10, i obliged and reshipped it. it got kicked back again this time with a little note saying that i needed to personally drop it off to the local post office and that it had to be delivered "in person". are they x-raying packages now or something?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:32:29 PM EDT
Part of the recent (2 years) crackdown (after the anthrax scares) - if you're not a commercial account, you have to hand-deliver bulk packages to the local PO.

It's a security measure. AFAIK knives are allowed through USPS w/o a problem.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:20:55 PM EDT
Knives are fine.

It's the weight that is the problem. Supposedly 16 ounces is the smallest effective bomb that can be made. They want to know who's mailing packages that could possibly contain explosives to take down a plane. Nothing to do with anthrax, you can put that in a 37 cent evelope.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:27:30 PM EDT
So you mean there are hidden cameras in the post office taking your mug so just in case you are mailing a bomb you are on camera? (Yes I've seen the signs that they won't take anything w/ a bunch of stamp any more.....) I mean, they allow the click and ship at home. The pay it electronicly and then put the printed lable on the box.... and you hand it to your carrier.... Is it about tracability?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:15:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 8:29:04 PM EDT by AMHsix]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:25:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Kaliburz:
So you mean there are hidden cameras in the post office taking your mug so just in case you are mailing a bomb you are on camera? (Yes I've seen the signs that they won't take anything w/ a bunch of stamp any more.....) I mean, they allow the click and ship at home. The pay it electronicly and then put the printed lable on the box.... and you hand it to your carrier.... Is it about tracability?

Probably.....as via electronic shipping, there's always a paper/electronic trace.

I never have a problem shiping, as we have commercial accounts, but like the other fellow said, anything over 16 oz, w/o a commercial account, and yes, you have to walk it up.

Just print up labels at home.....save yourself the trouble, or use the postage kiosks most post offices have now.
Top Top