Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:23:50 PM EDT
I am building a new system, and I need a mobo that accepts PCI-express.....

Im on Pricewatch, and found
http://www.enetshoponline.com/bedeamdat64m.html

is this PC-Express compatable and how do I tell?

On all the mobos listed, I only see "PCI" slots listed, none have "PCI express" slots listed...

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.

this one is

http://www.enetshoponline.com/mb-asus-a8v-e-deluxe.html

pci-e

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
the MB will list a PCI-E slot if it has it. This takes place of the AGP slot. Look at the Asus boards. I've got one and it does very very nicely.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
We need to know first of all if you are building an Intel or AMD system?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We need to know first of all if you are building an Intel or AMD system?

AMD
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
UPDATE:

here are the projected specs..

Geforce 6800GT 256mb PCI-e (is this a PCI-e card, or is only the GS version?)

AMD 3.4ghz CPU + mobo of sorts?

2gig DDR Ram 3200

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
any mobo / cpu combos out there around a 3.4ghz AMD cpu?  and a mobo that doenst cost $150 thats pci-e compat?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
whats a really good motherboard by Asus thats PCI-E ready?  Ive read some really mixed reviews on some mobos....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010200022+1071017168+1073607588&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=22

"Other Thoughts: It's kinda expensive. You won't be able to use PCI slot if you are running SLI. Well, I don't really care about the sound(card). With all the included features, I think it's worth the money"

I also read its poorly designed, and overpriced from what the reviewers stated.

Any others?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Just check out the different manufacters boards there!!  Lots of reviews thats what i tend to base purchase off of then price second!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just check out the different manufacters boards there!!  Lots of reviews thats what i tend to base purchase off of then price second!!

yea...

i just need a fairly inexpensive Asus board with PCI-E.....whatever the absolute best is between quality/price thats out there is what im looking for.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I love ASUS good support!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I love ASUS good support!!

I got a Asus board, now...and my last one was Asus also, top notch stuff
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Asus is pretty much the only brand to use anymore, other than DFI.  Abit is good as well, but nowhere near what they once were as far as quality.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:23:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok we know AMD and its appears you want to use an Nvidia graphics card.  The reason I mention this is ATI crossfire their SLI, requires a special board.    I like the New Egg listing provided to you to choose from by  MOD4SA.  Don`t forget to make sure you have a good power supply.  Do you already have DDR memory for the board.  The reason I ask is AMD is about to go to a different socket so not an upgrade potental.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATE:

here are the projected specs..

Geforce 6800GT 256mb PCI-e (is this a PCI-e card, or is only the GS version?)

AMD 3.4ghz CPU + mobo of sorts?

2gig DDR Ram 3200

And which cpu would that be ? model # ?  this is the MOBO to get right now. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568 mmk

I have that board in my LAN party machine myself, extremely nice board.  8 phase power
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ok we know AMD and its appears you want to use an Nvidia graphics card.  The reason I mention this is ATI crossfire their SLI, requires a special board.    I like the New Egg listing provided to you to choose from by  MOD4SA.  Don`t forget to make sure you have a good power supply.  Do you already have DDR memory for the board.  The reason I ask is AMD is about to go to a different socket so not an upgrade potental.

The DDR memory ill be using is 2gigs of  3200 DDR...

im confused as to what your saying exactly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMD is about to change the socket their processors mount in on the motherboard.  When they do you will need a different motherboard and memory to work with the new socket, AM2.  It limits your ability to just upgrade the proceeor later and use the same motherboard.   If you have 3200 DDR and do not plan to go to the new socket  AM2 platform it is not an issue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMD is about to change the socket their processors mount in on the motherboard.  When they do you will need a different motherboard and memory to work with the new socket, AM2.  It limits your ability to just upgrade the proceeor later and use the same motherboard.   If you have 3200 DDR and do not plan to go to the new socket  AM2 platform it is not an issue.

so basically id have to wait to use an Asus board that isnt released yet if i want that ability?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so basically id have to wait to use an Asus board that isnt released yet if i want that ability?

Want what ability?  You mean upgradeability?

Look at it this way - yes, there is a new socket coming out, but that should not discourage you from going with socket939 if you are building a new system now.  I am assuming that you are not getting the fastest chip out (FX-60), you are probably going to go with something less expensive.  Just a guess, I dont know.  You will still be able to get that faster chip later down the road if you want to upgrade, and it will be cheaper (and probably harder to find, but I wouldnt worry too much about that).  And since PCI-Express isnt going anywhere real soon, you will be able to use your old video card if needed.  So, say in two years, maybe more, you may have to get a new motherboard/CPU/Memory combo, but you can reuse everything else, so it isnt THAT big of a deal.  Dont worry about waiting for the new socket.  If you want a new computer now, then get a new computer now.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
We need to know first of all if you are building a Intel junk or an AMD system?

Fixed it for you.

Only because I saw that he already chose AMD.

Want what ability? You mean upgradeability?

Look at it this way - yes, there is a new socket coming out, but that should not discourage you from going with socket939 if you are building a new system now. I am assuming that you are not getting the fastest chip out (FX-60), you are probably going to go with something less expensive. Just a guess, I dont know. You will still be able to get that faster chip later down the road if you want to upgrade, and it will be cheaper (and probably harder to find, but I wouldnt worry too much about that). And since PCI-Express isnt going anywhere real soon, you will be able to use your old video card if needed. So, say in two years, maybe more, you may have to get a new motherboard/CPU/Memory combo, but you can reuse everything else, so it isnt THAT big of a deal. Dont worry about waiting for the new socket. If you want a new computer now, then get a new computer now.

Good advice.  If you wait for that next bit of tech that's just around the corner, you will never buy.  That next/newest/bestest it always just a little more off.  Maybe if you don't need to upgrade right away, waiting makes sense.  Even a three year old computer can handle that tasks that most people use them for.  Even for gaming, a video card upgrade is enough in most cases.
A new Socket 939, with a decent Athlon 64, X2, or FX, CPU will be good for quite a while.  An upper mid-range video card will perform decently for most games, and is easy enough to upgrade later on.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I would still like to know what cpu you are looking at. I don't think AMD makes a 3.4ghz cpu. mmk

Maybe he means a 3400+  ?  Its a common misconception with some of my customers that the number of the AMD CPU corresponds to speed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#25]
heres what I ended up getting...

X-Gear Black 400wt case

Asus A8S-X mobo

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 939pin CPU

2 gigs of 3200 Samsung DDR ram

Western Digital 250gig 7200rpm SATA HDs

256mb Geforce 6800GS PCI-e vid card

Windows XP

look good?  i just placed the order...came to $997 SHIPPED
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

X-Gear Black 400wt case

Asus A8S-X mobo

Windows XP

Looks pretty damn good.  I would have went with an nforce4 motherboard over the SiS, but it should still work great.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

X-Gear Black 400wt case

Asus A8S-X mobo

Windows XP

Looks pretty damn good.  I would have went with an nforce4 motherboard over the SiS, but it should still work great.  

i dont know the difference?

just looks like they have extra slots for PCI-e, and expandability for additional vid cards (to run dual vid cards, etc)...thats about it....from what I see
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

X-Gear Black 400wt case

Asus A8S-X mobo

Windows XP

i dont know the difference?

just looks like they have extra slots for PCI-e, and expandability for additional vid cards (to run dual vid cards, etc)...thats about it....from what I see

I was referring to the chipset for the motherboard.  The gold standard for AMD boards is the Nvidia Nforce4.  If you arent going to be doing a lot of overclocking or tweaking, the one you got is just fine though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#30]
i just need good performance....i wont be OCing it or tweaking, just running it
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#31]
oh right now im running:

Geforce Ti4600 128mb vid card
512mb Corsair 3200 ram
several western digital 5200rpm HDs
Asus P4S8X mobo

I cant run the newest of games, because I dont have pixel shader 2.0 capabilities...

but games like Call of Duty 2 run great, without problems...same with Doom3.  Its been 4 years since ive upgraded, so its time once again, this time a complete new system is in order...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top