Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2001 7:58:25 PM EDT
I have a home network and i have every port on my hub taken up by computers.  Will a router take up a port on my hub if so is there a way to plug a computer into the router the modem into the router and then the router into my hub.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a router, and it only takes up space on the lower shelf of my woodworking bench. Sorry 'bout that. I couldn't help myself.[:D]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
there are two ways to do this..
(1) Multi-home (i.e. the computer has 2 network cards) a PC and set it up to use Internet Connection Sharing. And...

(2) buy another hub and uplink it with the one you curently have (if it supports this)

My own network is set up with (following it from the wall to the PC's) my DSL bridge, then my server (which is doing NAT and routing) then it goes to my Switch (fancy hub) then to my PC's.  This setup lets my run a firewall on the server and protect all of my PC's at once.

Rob Dome
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
btt
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a great LinkSys router (and a hub) for sale cheap in the misc forum.  Brand new and it will do exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#5]
LinkSys make great SOHO routers. That is all I use for my clients with < 5 computers.

Big Nester,

Does your hub have an uplink port on it? If so, go buy another similar hub and connect the two with a standard patch cable. If it does not have an uplink port on it, buy another hub similar to the one your using and connect the two via a crossover cable.

I don't recommend using a router to act as a hub. Although it will work, It may be confusing and cause some headaches. It is much easier to connect your router to the new hub you'll be buying. Hope this helps some..

Ian
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#6]
btt
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy the Bosch it is better than the dewalt...

Oopps, wrong router.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top