Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 5:50:33 PM EDT
the year was 1876 Japan, what kind of rifles were they using? they were repeating rifles [bolt actions] with long sword bayonets and they also used some old muzzle loader types

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
It's "Lifle", dumbass!    I slay me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Actually, the romaaji would be "raifaa" or possibly "raifuuru."

Don't fuck with me when it comes to matters of linguistics, pinche gringo! I cut you with phonemes, cabron!

And the Japanese is 射撃場, or Romanized: shagekizou (Shah-geh-key-zo-oh)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't fuck with me when it comes to matters of linguistics, pinche gringo! I cut you with phonemes, cabron!

Exclusa me asshore!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I havent seen the movie in a year or two, but I thought I remember one scene the soldiers using allan conversion style trapdoor rifles...i believe it was towards the end.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I havent seen the movie in a year or two, but I thought I remember one scene the soldiers using allan conversion style trapdoor rifles...i believe it was towards the end.

I don't recall seeing any trapdoor rifles...  in the end battle, the rifles are turn-bolt rifles with a straight bolt handle.  The receiver looks kinda like a Mosin Nagant, not the 91/30, the older model.

The rifles the Japanese were using in the training sequences looked like Springfield rifles a-la US Civil War vintage -  front stuffing caplock rifles.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Today my Judo coach was talking about where he grew up in Tokyo, and he mentioned "GODZIRRA!"
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, in reality the Japanese did'nt use american weapons or american advisers,  they used french weapons and military advisers along with some other european stuff they purchased.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's "Lifle", dumbass!  hr

No sh***t!  Research your materials before trying to be smart ass! he
Verstehen Sie?  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No sh***t!  Research your materials before trying to be smart ass!

The Japanese cannot pronounce the letter "L" (example, "Herro", instead of the proper "Hello").  The Cantonese are the ones who can't pronounce the letter "R" (example, "Shlimp Flied Lice", instead of the proper "Shrimp Fried Rice").

Verstehen Sie?  

Unfortunately the ignorant will still outnumber people like you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No sh***t!  Research your materials before trying to be smart ass!

The Japanese cannot pronounce the letter "L" (example, "Herro", instead of the proper "Hello").  The Cantonese are the ones who can't pronounce the letter "R" (example, "Shlimp Flied Lice", instead of the proper "Shrimp Fried Rice").

Verstehen Sie?  

Actually, 射撃場=shooting range, rifle is ライフル or 小銃.

BTW I've used
"Is that 'L' as in Rome?
No, it's 'R' as in London"
to get the right spelling across.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]
why you fuckstcks bitch about language, tell us wht kinda damned rifle they had???

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#12]
+1
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Them thar fire sticks was Springfield rifled muskets, model of 1863(I do believe). The repeaters looked like Berdan's or Berdan II's. I'll have to watch it again...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
why you fuckstcks bitch about language, tell us wht kinda damned rifle they had???

Rifle on the Right appears to be a Martini-Henry Rifle.
Rifle on Left appears to be a Mauser 71

Mauser

Martini Henry Mk I

Both Rifles were considered to be state of the Art when they came out. Both were Breach Loading Single Shot Rifles. Later on Mauser incorporated a Tubuler Magazine and then on later models a Box Magazine.

The Mauser 71 was chambered in 11x60mm

Both Rifles fired a Black Powder Cartridge. The Martini  Henry was chambered in 577/450

The Martini Henry was used by the British during the Zulu Wars. And is the Rifle that was used at the Battle of Rorkes Drift.
(and Isanalwana)

Both Rifles were superior in terms of strength as well as rapidity of fire over the Trapdoor Springfield.

ETA: Errr....You all have HEARD of Rorkes Drift...right?

11 Victoria Crosses were handed out for that action.

Curiously the Slaughter that occurred at Isanalwana has been determined by the fact that the Ammo Crates were Nailed Shut and were in the wagons far from the defending troops and only 1 crowbar was issued per company to open the crates.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok...I think I got the Martini Henry Pic to be visible now...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
The riflesd look like 71 mausers to me also

but correctly they should be
from www.militaryrifles.com/
Japan
          M1853/68(?) Albini-Braendlin (.577 Snider)
          Murata Meiji 13 (M1880)  (11x60R)
          Murata Meiji 18 (M1885)  (11x60R)
          Murata Meiji 22 (M1889)  (8x53R)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#17]

here's a picture of a  Mauser model 1871 bayonet that they used
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#18]
In real life, and not the movie; they probably were using the Murata Rifle at that time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top