Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/15/2006 1:04:18 PM EDT

heres my background. im 23 years old, and from the age of 5 i KNEW i was going to join the military, like my grandfather, my father, my uncle and my cousins.  at age 14 those plans changed. i was nearly blinded in my right eye due to an injury, ill never get that vision back. at age 17, with 10 months before i even turned 18, i was trying to enlist. i would have left for bootcamp between my junior and senior highschool year.  my mother sat in the office with me going over the paperwork and signing her approval for me to go. i took the ASFAB? test, and the physical, everything was going good until they didnt clear my vision, and disqualified me from enlisting.  so thats my story.

whats yours?   id also like to thank the people who TRIED to serve as well as the people who HAVE served.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
terribly bad knees, bad shoulder and flat footed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Never outgrew my childhood asthma.  I would have loved to go into baghdad with our troops.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
vision problems, two strokes, autism, cerebral palsy.

But believe me, If I were cleared to serve, I'd do it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Shin splints, Clinton and Bush were Prez., and I have a slight problem of questioning orders and authority.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Mom and Dad made me go to college instead. Really wish I would have joined, even the reserves or NG. But I became a LEO instead. Felt it was my duty to serve somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
What does it matter? The military isn't for everyone.

I sincerely appreciate the sacrifices others have made - and I seriously considered joining for a time after high school and would no doubt have valued the experience - but sometimes the militocracy we seem to have here gets a little much...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
My enormous penis.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate guns
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Im 25 and went to college, had a scholarship to play baseball.  Then had back surgery.  I'm trying currently to get accepted into the TX GW Academy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Childhood asthma that came back when I was 17.  

However, I taught at USNA for 3 years and am now a defense contractor...so I feel like I do what I can.  Thought about LE, but just haven't made the jump.

shooter
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Never outgrew my childhood asthma.  I would have loved to go into baghdad with our troops.

Same here, though I wouldn't have joined the army.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My enormous penis.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Something called congetinal atrium septum defect (sp?)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Shin splints, Clinton and Bush were Prez., and I have a slight problem of questioning orders and authority.

SHIN SPLINTS?
You know how many guys in the infantry have shin splints?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My enormous penis.

What's the max length? Does it differ by branch?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#17]
One lazy eye and two flat feet.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#18]
My mother went ape shit when she heard I tried to enlist.  6 months before I turn 18 I ws in a car accident and lost use of my left eye, and that was that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
heres my background. im 23 years old, and from the age of 5 i KNEW i was going to join the military, like my grandfather, my father, my uncle and my cousins.  at age 14 those plans changed. i was nearly blinded in my right eye due to an injury, ill never get that vision back. at age 17, with 10 months before i even turned 18, i was trying to enlist. i would have left for bootcamp between my junior and senior highschool year.  my mother sat in the office with me going over the paperwork and signing her approval for me to go. i took the ASFAB? test, and the physical, everything was going good until they didnt clear my vision, and disqualified me from enlisting.  so thats my story.

whats yours?   id also like to thank the people who TRIED to serve as well as the people who HAVE served.

Jesus, that is nearly identical to what kept me out!   Buddy poked me in my right (which was my dominant) eye with a stick when I was a kid. Still can’t see properly even after 5 surgeries. Applied to West Point and Annapolis but failed the vision test.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
everything was going good until they didnt clear my vision, and disqualified me from enlisting.  

What's so wrong with your vision that you were disqualified??  I thought that they were offering waivers for corrective surgery now.  Color blind?  If so that is a tough one to beat, but I knew a 0311 Sgt who slipped through the cracks somehow . . . .anything is possible, it depends on how bad you want it.  Maybe there is still an opportunity for you???
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]
i didnt go due to my mother damn near having a heart attach when i told her..... i think she is too attached!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My enormous penis.

What's the max length? Does it differ by branch?

God, don't open that can of worms....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What does that have to do with anything
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Procrastination. I eventually enlisted 10 years later than I first wanted to.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Parents said I had to get a 4 year degree. Thought about doing the Marine corps PLC thing for awhile, but I found my call to serve in Fire/EMS. Im gonna stick with the college thing for now while being a volly EMT/Firefighter. You know those degree's never hurt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#26]
college

family business

a fucking woman

asthma

and i understand that you're not allowed to drink during on duty
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

a fucking woman

Glad to hear she put out
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I did Marine Corps ROTC for a while my freshman year in college.
I enjoyed in immensly, but my grades were suffering, and it was hard to transition in and out of mindsets.
Switching back and forth between Military/college/military/college all day really wears on you.
So, I said my adieus.
To be honest, I kind of miss it, but I am glad I left.
I think I have found my true calling in the US Border Patrol, which I apply to this fall.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Asthma.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm hoping to see if I can join or not in the next few weeks. Waiting for medical records.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m way too old and fat now. Back when I turned 18 (1984) the military was pretty full up and I had a minor heart defect and was a little on the heavy side. Since they were rejecting people left and right, (a good friend was rejected for psoriasis) I just decided to go to tech school and not bother trying to play soldier. Besides my penis was too short.

Then when the Gulf War hit, I felt like shit to not be over there with my brother and all my friends who didn’t have psoriasis or heart defects.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Aorta Valve in my heart was damaged. Required surgery. I wasn't allowed to participate in any sports in high school except golf. Yehaa...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#34]
When I was of age, the commercial was "we do more before 7 am then most plp do all day."  Damn, I really am not a morning person.  If it was, "We sleep in till noon and then go shoot stuff." I would have been all over it
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I almost  joined the Army right out of high school, but didnt due mostly to the fact that  all I wanted to do with my life is drink rediculous amounts of alcohol, bang countless amounts of chicks, and have a steady paycheck and a place to crash...

Oh wait I am in the Army
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I talked to the Army and Navy in HS, took the ASVAB and did really well, was in ROTC in college for two years, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.  After I finished college I thought about it again but wasn't sure I could work and do reserves at the same time.  Now my vision is so bad they probably wouldn't take me.

Now I work as an engineer doing sub contract work for the DoD.    
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#37]
The Hrs would realy cut into my airsoft time, And you know that any airsoft mission is just as good being there running the moves with real steel! And I don't like the fact that other guys would be looking at my body in the shower. Also MOM would freak at the thought of her son moving out of her basement.. I don't want to displease mother again..
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I was very active in the Sea Cadets as a youth. It was quite beneficial. Were it not for that, I would have enlisted out of high school. Those of you that have/are serving would NOT want me around, so just be thankful that I love everything you guys do, and you're all my heros. Seriously, no bullshit.

I can't handle the structure and the loss of freedom. That's really why I've never joined. It's not for me. I thank God EVERY DAY that those of you who serve are not like me in this regard, or we'd be fucked.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
i didnt go due to my mother damn near having a heart attach when i told her..... i think she is too attached!

Gotta brek break out from under that apron sooner or later....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#40]
There was no war looming on the horizon.

When I turned 18 we'd just suffered through four years of Jimmah Cahtah as President, and the military had been gutted,

I was going to college and intended to finish.

I could not see myself surrendering myself, body and soul, to the government without dire need - and there was no dire need.

Plus, I figured I'd be 4F anyway.

All respect to those who serve(d), but it was not for me.

ETA:  My best friend did join up, and stayed in for 20.  He went Special Forces, and just recently retired.  Now he's double-dipping, training HSA personnel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
everything was going good until they didnt clear my vision, and disqualified me from enlisting.  

What's so wrong with your vision that you were disqualified??  I thought that they were offering waivers for corrective surgery now.  Color blind?  If so that is a tough one to beat, but I knew a 0311 Sgt who slipped through the cracks somehow . . . .anything is possible, it depends on how bad you want it.  Maybe there is still an opportunity for you???

simplygreen, my injury was bad.....for 2-3 weeks all i could see was changes of light, if you pointed a flashlight directly into my eye. as the blood got out of my eye, i started to get sight back in it, which left me seeing floaters ( i see dots floating around, really fu*ks with you when youre hunting ) i have a cataract fromt he trauma which from 3 feet away from my computer, the cataract blocks out 40 % of the computer screen, and i have scarring in the back eye tissue.   i still get eye aches daily, hard to focus, and sensitivity to sunlight.  

their theory is, if they put you into battle and you injure an eye during combat, you better have another eye available to find your way through the shit

ETA and the girlfriend i was seeing at the time had a strong lock on me, but not enough to keep me from joining. im no longer with her, but i started a business 4 years ago when i was 19, and my vision is slightly worse in my right eye now than it was 6 years ago, so no amount of paperwork / vision wavers would get me in now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that have to do with anything

no kidding.....I had that same affliction.....boot camp cured me!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#43]
4F -  Vietnam combat kill/wound whatever rate was 106% at the time.  I was really looking forward to getting my brains blown out or living as a cripple for the rest of my life thanks to LBJ and his comrades until my unfortunate accident.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#44]
i had every intention of joining the marines. excpet i was born with arthritis, and even though i could pass all the physical tests and scored a 98 on the asvab they wouldnt take me, sooo then i asked around with the other branches and got the same thing. guess it just wasnt in the cards sadly enough.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I was informed by the Air Force, Army and the Navy recruters that I would NEVER pass the hearing test.

I have over 40db hearing loss in both ears.

So basically I am deaf.  Sucks too  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I just...didn't.

Met some ppl who wanted me to join ROTC in college but by the time I thought about it, it was too late to be able to complete the program by graduation.  

I would have probably went Air Force so no one here would have respected that decision  anyway
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SHIN SPLINTS?
You know how many guys in the infantry have shin splints?

me!

and a disintegrating disk @ L4,  too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Knee
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#49]
2 bad knees, spinal stinosis and bulging discs..............I tried.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Im trying desperately to be allowed to participate in ROTC when I begin college next year, but I happen to have a blood disorder called Bernard Soulier Syndrome, which weakens your platelets, and thus makes it very hard for your blood to clot and heal wounds. Evidently being the equivalent of a hemopheliac on the battlefield is a bit of a bad thing, and I havent really heard optimistic projections from any of the recruiters or personnel involved.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top