Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2001 11:14:05 PM EDT
Hey, Im 16, and I have been thinking about a career path to take, and I am lost.  I was wondering if you could state possible jobs (such as yours) or if you have any recommendations.  I have always liked the ROTC path with the Marines, put in a few years in service, then go LEO, then possible to FBI.  I have always had some interest in that, but I am looking for a job that basically will pay somewhat decent, that wont bore me to death, meaning preferably not a desk job.  But well paying desk jobs are always considered too ;-).

For now, I detail cars.  I live in a neighborhood where the population is generally on the elderly side, so not many people want to get out and wash/detail their cars anymore.  Costs me about 10-15 dollars in supplies per car, and I charge 100-175 dollars depending on what the person specifically wants.

I just started, so its a bit slow, but the word is spreading.  Im sure pretty soon I will be doing 1-2 cars a day.  Not bad for a 16 year old.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
ROTC and the Marines are good goals. A college education and military service look great on any resume and will keep a lot of career options open. I wouldn't worry too much beyond that, though. You have plenty of time to figure that out later. You will find that as your career interests and goals crystalize through college and military service, what seems like a good job to you at 16 may hold no appeal to you in the future. Be flexible and find something that you truly enjoy doing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks, yeah I have thought about that all, and another questions, to those of you who posted in the "favorite/worst part about your job" post, many of you neglected to mention what you actually did.  If you dont mind posting it here or there, that would be nice.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Fireman/EMT...great job satisfaction!!!!!
you get to help everyone in all sorts of situations...they hate cops, but love you !!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't visited that thread yet, but I'm a railroader. Usually a switchman to be exact. Didn't plan to be. Just sort of stumbled into it, liked it, decided to stay, and can't imagine doing anything else. Funny how life is like that.

At 16 I think I wanted to drive a logging truck. That was before the entire industry collapsed. Thank God that career was never realized.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
With all the baby boomers retiring soon, there are going to be big shortages in all fields.  Just do what you want.

If you go to college without knowing exactly what you're studying for, just take as much math and English as possible.  I think a BA in mathematics is the best general degree you can have if you don't know what specific profession you want to be in.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:28:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Dangit!  Where are all the odd/funny posts that usually accompany one of these type questions?  Ok, I'll go first...

Oil applyer for the Swedish Bikini team- low pay but the work is enjoyable.

Ok guys..your turn.

(Marksman, just thought I'd add a funny one in here...this board gets too serious sometimes.  :) )
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A college education and military service look great on any resume and will keep a lot of career options open.

View Quote

That is a very true statement. Specially if you want to get a job in the Federal Government. Educated Vets got the priority in hiring.

No degree and no service in military will only get you from the French Fries dept. to the Burger dept.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#9]
[left]Thinking of ever becoming a CNC machinist get into an apprentaship program. around here these guys with journeyman's card's make around $20-$24 bucks a hour, really. we have a moser's engineering place here that build race car axles
,hub's, rearend's these guys make the bucks get new houses cars etc![/left]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Become a Mall Ninja.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was 16 I really didn't know what I wanted to do.  I enlisted for 4 years in the Army and that time gave me a lot of time to ponder my future.  I went to college after I got out (the GI-Bill is a great deal.)  I am now thinking about going back to school to get MCSE and A+ training because I like to monkey around with computers and I should try to get paid for it.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Keep your business, hire a few good kids to work for you. Sit back in your air conditioned  office with a few babes and yell at your employees to make it official...you have arrived! While making money there, you may dabble in anything you choose.
View Quote

Don't take this advice. I am older then you and I am in my own business and yes being your own boss is the best as I can attest to this. But be your own boss in a professional field. Today 200-300 a day is no money. When you are self employed and you have to pay your retirement,health,and business expenses it works out to be peanuts.
Go to college and have a good education behind you. In college you will find your path. Don't be lazy and don't get lured into the money that you are making at 16. In 15 years you will regret not getting an education. Never mind if your business fails what are you going to do. Go work at a car wash??? I am not being a jerk I wish I had a parent to direct me. Get your education and work for yourself with that education. I learned this to late in life. I did half of my advice to you. I work for myself but I have no education. You will be happy in the future if you take my advise. Your 16, you don't need to know exactly what you are going to do in the future you just need to know you have a degree in the works and it will be with you for life. I give my son the same advice so you know I am being truthful. Good luck
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Start hitting the gym now. That way by the time you turn 18 you will be buff and can get a job bouncing at a topless bar. What a great job that would be....
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't get sucked into the you gotta go to college trap.  There are plenty of good  and high paying jobs out their that do not require a college education.  

examples;

Carpenter, 4 yr apprenticeship= ~ $23/hr+bennies
Electrician 5 yr apprenticeship= ~ $30/hr+benies
Plumber 5 year apprenticeship= ~ $30/hr+bennies
Automotive tech. 18 mo tech school= 35,000 starting and up to 100k is doable.

hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't remember who said it or when it was said, but some guy once said that advice is peoples' way of living vicariously through you.  Keep that in mind and your grain of salt in hand when getting ANY advice.

I'm 22 and just got out of college this May.  I've got a BBA in Business Management.

I got the BBA for two reasons.  First, I'm pretty decent with business.  I've run a few of my own and have made side spending money for myself.  Second, I did so because you can't really go wrong with a business degree.  

In 1-2 year's time, I'm going into law school.  I'm not going in immedately because I need to save money to assist with tuition and because I want to get out in the real world for a bit.  (Academia is [b][i][u]very[/u][/i][/b] far removed from real life.)

My advice is not to do what I'm doing.  I also advise you to not do what anyone else here says to do.

You should do what YOU like to do.  You're 16; only two years away from being an adult, being able to buy your own AR-15, being eligible for selective service...  You get where I'm going.  You know a lot, but you don't know everything yet.  Take stock of what you like.  More importantly, take stock of what you DIS-like.  (If nothing else, you'll know what NOT to do.)

Right now, you've got a good business going.  If you'll do even one car a day, you're making at least $85 per day.  Not bad at all for a 16 year old.  Even better when you consider that you could be flipping burgers or being a checker at a supermarket.  

If you truly like the military life, go for ROTC and then into the armed forces.  However, if you're doing detailing because you like your FREEDOM to be your own boss, you may want to reconsider.  Perhaps you could go straight into LEO work instead.  After a bit of that, then go for the FBI.

Hmm.  When I was 16.....

1.  I should have gone to the career counselor more often.  Take a few of those interest surveys.  Use them, but understand that they're not gospel.

2.  I totally avoided the idea of joining the military like the plague.  I'm VERY independant and I do NOT take orders well.  I hate being told what to do-- I'll figure it out myself.  Plus, Klinton was the Commander-in-Chief.  If you truly want to go into the military, fine.  Just remember that going from soldier to peace-keeper to political pawn is VERY simple now-a-days.  (What happens if the Democrats take back power in 2004?  Suddenly, you're keeping the peace under some UN security force in a godforsaken hole.....)

3.  I was clueless.  You do a LOT of mind-changing from 16 to 17 to 18 and on and on.  Nothing wrong with it, either.  You're just getting a better idea of what you want and don't want from life.

Hmm.  Well, that's it.  Good luck to ya!  (And, if you get to be FBI director some years down the road, try to restore some order to that agency.)  [:D]

Mike
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I recomend the Presidency, it's a great job.  Lots of travel (all free), lots of money, girls dig it.  Take it from me it's the best job in the world.  Hey if your anything like me (and let's hope you are) you could do as much good or more than I did for thw whole world. [smoke]

Edited by right-wing conspiritors
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]
A college education isn't all it's cracked up
to be. I have a little bit of college but
dropped out because I couldn't put my thoughts
about Shakespeare(?) on paper. Tell you the
truth I couldn't care less about Shakespeare(?).
Sure doesn't help in any job market.

So I went to a community college and got a
license to work on airplanes. I now make much
more dinero than my brother who has a masters
degree in management. Pisses him off. On top of
that, the license only took two years to get.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Tech. school the GI bill will cover it,Electronics 50,000 to 75,000$$$$
2 year's and your set.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Yea. Tech school would be the way to go.

Look into something you'll enjoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top