Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2004 7:32:10 AM EDT
since we have a thread on the best religion, thought this might be interesting.

It takes your beliefs on spiritual concepts and finds the religion that most closely corresponds to your beliefs.
Religion Selector
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Didn't work for me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#2]
my top 5

#1:    Unitarian Universalist   (100)
#2:    Humanist   (84)
#3:    Liberal Quaker   (84)
#4:    Neo-Pagan   (81)
#5:    Atheist/Agnostic  (73)
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Didn't work for me.

just updated the link, seems to work best under IE but I did get it to work with firefox
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Raised as a guilt ridden Irish Catholic - all I can say is WOW!  

I should be a Jew? (Something I've always suspected).  Just thank _od that Jehovah's are at the bottom of the list!

Reform Judaism ...click to learn more (score=100)
Mainline to Liberal Protestant...click to learn more (score=98)
Unitarian Universalist ...click to learn more (score=98)
Liberal Quaker ...click to learn more (score=90)
Christian Science ...click to learn more (score=90)
New Thought ...click to learn more (score=87)
Orthodox Judaism ...click to learn more (score=85)
Sikhism ...click to learn more (score=85)
Hindu ...click to learn more (score=80)
Baháí ...click to learn more (score=70)
Neo-Pagan ...click to learn more (score=67)
New Age ...click to learn more (score=66)
Scientology ...click to learn more (score=65)
Eastern Orthodox ...click to learn more (score=60)
Islam ...click to learn more (score=60)
Latter Day Saints...click to learn more (score=60)
Mainline to Conservative Protestant...click to learn more (score=60)
Roman Catholic ...click to learn more (score=60)
Taoism...click to learn more (score=56)
Mahayana Buddhist ...click to learn more (score=50)
Atheist/Agnostic...click to learn more (score=45)
Seventh Day Adventist ...click to learn more (score=45)
Jainism ...click to learn more (score=40)
Theravada Buddhist ...click to learn more (score=40)
Humanist ...click to learn more (score=30)
Jehovahs Witness ...click to learn more (score=30)

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah I was surprised to see Liberal Quaker on my list.   Now i'm researching their beliefs to see why I match up

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm...

I don't see Rastafari listed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hmmm...

Always confused them with "Latter Day Saints" myself...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#9]
# 1. Theravada Buddhism (100%)  
# 2. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
# 3. Hinduism (98%)
# 4. Jainism (95%)
# 5. Sikhism (88%)
# 6. Non-theist (85%)
# 7. Secular Humanism (85%)
# 8. Mahayana Buddhism (82%)
# 9. Liberal Quakers (80%)
# 10. Bahá'í Faith (79%)
# 11. Orthodox Judaism (79%)
# 12. Eastern Orthodox (75%)
# 13. Islam (75%)
# 14. Roman Catholic (75%)
# 15. Neo-Pagan (74%)
# 16. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (71%)
# 17. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (69%)
# 18. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (69%)
# 19. Seventh Day Adventist (64%)
# 20. New Age (61%)
# 21. Taoism (59%)
# 22. Reform Judaism (53%)
# 23. Jehovah's Witness (49%)
# 24. Orthodox Quaker (49%)
# 25. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (44%)
# 26. New Thought (44%)

Hmmm, Islam #13, and it never asked anything about killing everyone who's not the same
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh Shit.....

1. Islam (100%)  
2. Orthodox Judaism (100%)
3. Bahá'í Faith (90%)
4. Sikhism (86%)
5. Reform Judaism (80%)
6. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (68%)
7. Orthodox Quaker (66%)
8. Jainism (65%)
9. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (65%)
10. Eastern Orthodox (60%)
11. Roman Catholic (60%) - my actual Faith.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Such utter crap.

How in the world did human beings ever get the idea that they had the right to choose the "religion" that is "best for them"? If God is real, and I am convinced He is, why is it that we think we have the right to do whatever we want and He will accept it?

Would an all powerful God who upholds and sustains life just sit back and smile benignly as all of humanity basically gave Him the finger?

People have such a warped concept of God. The darkness in men's heart compels them to remove the deity of Almighty God and make Him just like one of us. It doesn't work that way.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
There is a pretty glaring omission below

GM

THE PATH TO SALVATION, OR EXALTATION, ETERNAL REWARD, SPIRITUAL LIBERATION/ENLIGHTENMENT, SPIRITUAL HARMONY, MERGER WITH GOD, ET AL. (questions 8-12)

12. Choose ALL that apply.

Adhere strictly to the rites, practices, precepts, commandments, prohibitions, laws, sacraments, or ordinances of the faith.

All, even the wicked, are rewarded after life (e.g. go to heaven, merge with God, etc.) as God(s) is infinitely good and forgiving.

Extinguish all cravings, attachments, and ignorance, or rid oneself of all impurities, to become fully Enlightened.

Learn all life's lessons through rebirths.

Realize your true nature as purely spirit (or soul) and not body, as one with the Absolute, Universal Soul, et al.

Live very simply; renounce worldly goals and possessions.
Tap the power of the Ultimate (God, or the divine) through intercessory methods such as psychics, channeling, tarot cards, crystals, magic, et al.

Humankind is "saved" through human effort rather than through religious or spiritual means.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Interesting.  Somehow my LDS beliefs are so inline with mainline conservative Protestant Christianity that my Church was listed 2nd.

Of course, don't tell the Protestants that.  They'll take offense at my being Christian.

Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (100%)
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (98%)
Jehovah's Witness (94%)
Eastern Orthodox (84%)
Roman Catholic (84%)

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmmm...

Always confused them with "Latter Day Saints" myself...

What on earth is Rastafari?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Such utter crap.

How in the world did human beings ever get the idea that they had the right to choose the "religion" that is "best for them"? If God is real, and I am convinced He is, why is it that we think we have the right to do whatever we want and He will accept it?

Would an all powerful God who upholds and sustains life just sit back and smile benignly as all of humanity basically gave Him the finger?

People have such a warped concept of God. The darkness in men's heart compels them to remove the deity of Almighty God and make Him just like one of us. It doesn't work that way.

Which god? Oh let me guess, the one YOU believe in, and every other religion is wrong.
This is how almost every modern conflict starts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#16]
My Top 5:

1.  Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (100%)
2.  Eastern Orthodox (94%)
3.  Roman Catholic (94%)
4.  Orthodox Quaker (89%)
5.  Seventh Day Adventist (87%)

I'm actually Roman Catholic.  Maybe I should talk to my wife about being an Episcopalian because an internet website told me so.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#17]
# 1. Secular Humanism (100%)  
# 2. Unitarian Universalism (93%)
# 3. Non-theist (83%)
# 4. Theravada Buddhism (77%)
# 5. Liberal Quakers (74%)

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Such utter crap.

Which god? Oh let me guess, the one YOU believe in, and every other religion is wrong.

Try an intellectual exercise with me for a minute:

Suppose for a moment that God does exist and is indeed creator and sustainer of all life and of existence itself.

What right, then, do created beings such as ourselves have to question His existence or mastery?

The answer, quite clearly, is none. Finite creatures have no right to question the Infinite Creator in any way, shape or form.

It is the hieght of arrogance for men who live for 70 short years on average and have never been past the moon to assume that they are in any kind of condition to be able to accurately judge eternal things and the existence/non-existence of God, and what is the acceptable way to worship Him.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Your Results:

1. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (100%

Next closest was 83%

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Such utter crap.

Try an intellectual exercise with me for a minute:

Suppose for a moment that God does exist and is indeed creator and sustainer of all life and of existence itself.

What right, then, do created beings such as ourselves have to question His existence or mastery?

The answer, quite clearly, is none. Finite creatures have no right to question the Infinite Creator in any way, shape or form.

It is the hieght of arrogance for men who live for 70 short years on average and have never been past the moon to assume that they are in any kind of condition to be able to accurately judge eternal things and the existence/non-existence of God, and what is the acceptable way to worship Him.

Fair enough, but also suppose for a minute, he doesn't exist and we are all a product of evolution.
Then throw in billions of people who believe otherwise, and in different ways, all of which is right in their minds. What do you have? The basis for almost all modern(if not historical) conflicts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for sharing that, Dino.
I scored 100% as a Mahayana Buddhist.  For the past fifteen years I've viewed myself as a Taoist (72%).  I guess I should check out that Mahayana Buddhism!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

As expected, you have chosen to try to turn this into a thread bashing those who don't conform to your particular ontological leanings.

It would seem the simple fact that humans were given the intellect and awareness to question their existence would be an obvious clue that god, if such a concept does exist, would be very much in favor of us questioning how we came to be here and who or what god is.  Why would he wish for us to be slavish, unquestioning and fearful?

It is by no means arrogant to question; in fact I would say it is naive and childish not to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just thank _od .....

Well, you are already on your way to being a good jew.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Such utter crap.

Actually, using what we know and what logic we have, the most likely scenario if there is a creative being is that He doesn't give a damn what we do as individuals.  He might not even care that we exist.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#25]
rofl nice catch Gman I didn't even notice he had done that :P

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#26]
it's all a bunch of shit to me....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Im not a religeous person, so the best thing for me is "none" or no preference, I just believe in common sense.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow - I am actually quite impressed.

I went out of my way to use MY OWN beliefs - that are NOT inconsistent with my Faith but that most people would say ARE - yet the results still came out right:

Your Results:

# 1. Eastern Orthodox (100%) Browse Eastern Orthodox related books.  Click here for info
# 2. Roman Catholic (100%) Browse Roman Catholic related books.  Click here for info
# 3. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (96%) Browse Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant related books.  Click here for info
# 4. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (96%) Browse Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants related books.  Click here for info
# 5. Seventh Day Adventist (93%) Browse Seventh Day Adventist related books.  Click here for info
# 6. Orthodox Quaker (92%) Browse Orthodox Quaker related books.  Click here for info
# 7. Hinduism (73%) Browse Hinduism related books.  Click here for info
# 8. Liberal Quakers (69%) Browse Liberal Quakers related books.  Click here for info
# 9. Unitarian Universalism (69%) Browse Unitarian Universalism related books.  Click here for info
# 10. Bahá'í Faith (66%) Browse Bahá'í Faith related books.  Click here for info

I guess my Roman Catholic ass is in the right place?

My only issue with the "test" is that there are no questions for the fundies here - nothing about the whole  "Does God sound like Shakespeare?" and "Is daring to suggest Christians should perform good works the ultimate heresy?" or "Is man Saved through faith alone" or even "saved from WHAT?"
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#29]
It was;

Secular Humanism (100%)

For me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Such utter crap.

Actually, using what we know and what logic we have, the most likely scenario if there is a creative being is that He doesn't give a damn what we do as individuals.  He might not even care that we exist.

The inherent problem with that line of argument (to the believers among us) is that you would have to assume that either 1) Jesus was lying or 2) The writers of the Gospels were lying - or at least horribly misinterpreted things.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Thanks for sharing that, Dino.
I scored 100% as a Mahayana Buddhist.  For the past fifteen years I've viewed myself as a Taoist (72%).  I guess I should check out that Mahayana Buddhism!

Ditto...

1. Mahayana Buddhist
2. Neo-Paganism
3. Unitarian Universalism

(big shocker)
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
It was;

Secular Humanism (100%)

For me.

Good for you - personally, I think their leadership needs a purge.  What started out an a non-theistic group has evolved into an anti-theistic group.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Accurate.  I'm a "conservative" Roman Catholic and got this:

# Eastern Orthodox (100%)  Browse Eastern Orthodox related books.  Click here for info
# 2. Roman Catholic (100%) Browse Roman Catholic related books.  Click here for info
# 3. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (85%) Browse Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant related books.  Click here for info
# 4. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (81%) Browse Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants related books.  Click here for info
# 5. Orthodox Quaker (81%) Browse Orthodox Quaker related books.  Click here for info
# 6. Seventh Day Adventist (81%) Browse Seventh Day Adventist related books.  Click here for info
# 7. Orthodox Judaism (72%) Browse Orthodox Judaism related books.  Click here for info
# 8. Islam (59%) Browse Islam related books.  Click here for info
# 9. Sikhism (59%) Browse Sikhism related books.  Click here for info
# 10. Bahá'í Faith (59%) Browse Bahá'í Faith related books.  Click here for info
# 11. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (53%) Browse Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) related books.  Click here for info
# 12. Reform Judaism (52%) Browse Reform Judaism related books.  Click here for info
# 13. Hinduism (52%) Browse Hinduism related books.  Click here for info
# 14. Liberal Quakers (51%) Browse Liberal Quakers related books.  Click here for info
# 15. Jehovah's Witness (44%) Browse Jehovah's Witness related books.  Click here for info
# 16. Unitarian Universalism (43%) Browse Unitarian Universalism related books.  Click here for info
# 17. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (37%) Browse Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) related books.  Click here for info
# 18. Jainism (28%) Browse Jainism related books.  Click here for info
# 19. New Thought (24%) Browse New Thought related books.  Click here for info
# 20. Scientology (23%) Browse Scientology related books.  Click here for info
# 21. Neo-Pagan (22%) Browse Neo-Pagan related books.  Click here for info
# 22. New Age (21%) Browse New Age related books.  Click here for info
# 23. Mahayana Buddhism (20%) Browse Mahayana Buddhism related books.  Click here for info
# 24. Theravada Buddhism (19%) Browse Theravada Buddhism related books.  Click here for info
# 25. Non-theist (18%) Browse Non-theist related books.  Click here for info
# 26. Secular Humanism (16%) Browse Secular Humanism related books.  Click here for info
# 27. Taoism (14%) Browse Taoism related books.  Click here for info
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just thank _od .....

Well, you are already on your way to being a good jew.  

he-he... picked that up while I was a JPFO member.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Interesting.  Somehow my LDS beliefs are so inline with mainline conservative Protestant Christianity that my Church was listed 2nd.

Of course, don't tell the Protestants that.  They'll take offense at my being Christian.

Jehovah's Witness (94%)
Eastern Orthodox (84%)
Roman Catholic (84%)

Not suprising.  Many basic beliefs are the same, but there are some unreconcilable differences between LDS and Christian denominations.

ETA:  I am curious of your answers to see where we differ.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

As expected, you have chosen to try to turn this into a thread bashing those who don't conform to your particular ontological leanings.

It would seem the simple fact that humans were given the intellect and awareness to question their existence would be an obvious clue that god, if such a concept does exist, would be very much in favor of us questioning how we came to be here and who or what god is.  Why would he wish for us to be slavish, unquestioning and fearful?

It is by no means arrogant to question; in fact I would say it is naive and childish not to.

I have not done anything of the sort. I am posing a rather legitimate question:

IF God is, then what on earth makes us think we are in a position to rightly judge things that by definition completely escape the powers of our mind?

A gorilla has no conception of the study of physics. It is beyond his understanding. He can understand some basic principles that govern his universe through observation, (which is why apes use various tools, etc...) but does that mean he is qualified to lecture Einstein or question his ideas on a unified field theory?

Of course not.

Now IF the notion of God as creator of the universe and sustainer of life is true, then the difference between us and God is far greater than the difference between Einstein and an ape.

Until man can completely explain the origin of the universe, define the borders of the universe, the age of the universe, and every phenomena within the universe, THEN AND ONLY THEN might man have a shot at claiming to be in a position to speak with some authority on the One who CREATED that universe.

Man was given an intellect as a tool to aid him in understanding the universe around him. The Gorilla also has a certain intellect available to him to understand his world. But I would hardly consider the gorilla a reliable source of information on the origins of the universe and the One who made it.

While man may be more advanced than the gorilla, and we may have a great deal more ability to understand our own existence, we are in a position not far elevated from the gorilla. The truth remains that there is far more in the universe that we cannot explain than we CAN explain. The very nature of humanity is LIMITED. Our understanding, wherever it is at any point in time, is better than in the past but is still imperfect. We are farther than we were, but nowhere near absolute truth. To assert that we are is to make claims that science simply cannot stretch far enough to make.

If this is our position on the things before our eyes that we can see, touch, and measure, how much less likely are we to rightly understand the truth of the maker of the universe that we cannot see, touch, or measure?

Intellect is a nice tool. But let us not elevate the intellect of man above what it is. IF God exists, then God cannot be grasped by human intellect, for that would mean God is inferior to human intellect.

You confuse the ABILITY to do something with the RIGHT to do it. I have the ABILITY to take my AR-15 and kill a bunch of pre-schoolers. But I do not posess the RIGHT to do so.

Similarly, I have the ABILITY to question the existence of God and how best to worship Him, and to what extent He is to be obeyed. This is the provision He has given in free will. But I have absolutely no MORAL RIGHT to do so, because my own existence is not even my own.

Children have the ability to do all sorts of things they have no right to do. When they behave in a manner that they have no right to, we call that childishness.

There is a very simple truth that people need to deal with:

We do not even own our own existence. Who here makes his heart beat? Who here draws his own breath? If you could truly make your own heart beat, you would also be able to keep it beating. If you could truly draw your own breath, you would never be short of it.

Our very nature is that we are dependent on forces greater than ourselves for existence. We are an utterly dependent creature. We need oxygen to breathe, food and water to survive, etc.  Yet when we talk about mankind being dependent on an intelligent creator rather than a loose confederation of random forces in a "random" universe, suddenly he becomes greatly offended.

The idea of answering to a higher power offends the egos of people. The fact is that no matter how hard they try to rail against their accountability to anything or anyone higher than themselves, they invalidate their own arguement with every breath to take in the oxygen they NEED to exist.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#37]

these were mine and its almost accurate

Your Results:

1.  Bahá'í Faith (100%)
Browse Bahá'í Faith related books.  Click here for info

2.  Orthodox Judaism (98%)
Browse Orthodox Judaism related books.  Click here for info

3.  Reform Judaism (95%)
Browse Reform Judaism related books.  Click here for info

4.  Islam (93%)
Browse Islam related books.  Click here for info

5.  Sikhism (92%)
Browse Sikhism related books.  Click here for info

6.  Liberal Quakers (65%)
Browse Liberal Quakers related books.  Click here for info

7.  Unitarian Universalism (64%)
Browse Unitarian Universalism related books.  Click here for info

8.  Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (59%)
Browse Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) related books.  Click here for info

9.  Jainism (57%)
Browse Jainism related books.  Click here for info

10.  Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (56%)
Browse Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants related books.  Click here for info

11.  Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (44%)
Browse Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant related books.  Click here for info

12.  Jehovah's Witness (43%)
Browse Jehovah's Witness related books.  Click here for info

13.  Hinduism (41%)
Browse Hinduism related books.  Click here for info

14.  Orthodox Quaker (41%)
Browse Orthodox Quaker related books.  Click here for info

15.  Seventh Day Adventist (41%)
Browse Seventh Day Adventist related books.  Click here for info

16.  Eastern Orthodox (39%)
Browse Eastern Orthodox related books.  Click here for info

17.  Roman Catholic (39%)
Browse Roman Catholic related books.  Click here for info

18.  Neo-Pagan (36%)
Browse Neo-Pagan related books.  Click here for info

19.  Mahayana Buddhism (33%)
Browse Mahayana Buddhism related books.  Click here for info

20.  Scientology (29%)
Browse Scientology related books.  Click here for info

21.  Secular Humanism (27%)
Browse Secular Humanism related books.  Click here for info

22.  Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (26%)
Browse Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) related books.  Click here for info

23.  New Age (25%)
Browse New Age related books.  Click here for info

24.  Theravada Buddhism (24%)
Browse Theravada Buddhism related books.  Click here for info

25.  New Thought (22%)
Browse New Thought related books.  Click here for info

26.  Non-theist (22%)
Browse Non-theist related books.  Click here for info

27.  Taoism (19%)
Browse Taoism related books.  Click here for info

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#38]
#1 Nontheist

wonder how that happened being raised in Utah... spooky
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Fair enough, but also suppose for a minute, he doesn't exist and we are all a product of evolution.
Then throw in billions of people who believe otherwise, and in different ways, all of which is right in their minds. What do you have? The basis for almost all modern(if not historical) conflicts.

Supposing God's non-existence, then we are all just animals. Animals kill and eat each other. Humanity would just be another animal who organized to more effectively prey on weaker people. Religion, race, sex, almost anything would become a cause to kill or subjugate those who do not agree not because any of those are legitimate reasons....

But because man is at heart an animal who views the world through the prism of his own base urges and will fill them at any cost.

I submit that religion is not the lone cause, or even the major cause of violence in our world. The major cause is that there are people who are willing to take whatever they want by force. Most "religious" conflicts are only about religion on the surface. When you examine things more closely you find that usually the problem is more about the old reliable motives: Greed, jealousy, power, etc.

Man has never lacked for a reason to kill each other. If the excuse of religion was gone, he would most certainly find other reasons.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jehovah's Witness (94%)
Eastern Orthodox (84%)
Roman Catholic (84%)

Not suprising.  Many basic beliefs are the same, but there are some unreconcilable differences between LDS and other Christian denominations (Corrected it for you.).

ETA:  I am curious of your answers to see where we differ.  

Where we differ?  Hmmm...I'm blatantly sincere about this, so I hope it's taken in the spirit it's intended.
1.  The LDS Church believes in an open canon of scripture.  In other words, we believe that revelation continues to come and the Bible isn't the only book of scripture.  Most other Christian churches believe in a closed canon, and that there is no more scripture outside of the Bible.
2.  The LDS Church believes in a living prophet on the earth (goes hand-in-hand with the idea of open canon per example #1).  I'm not aware of too many other Christian churches that believe in a living prophet.
3.  The LDS Church, much like the Catholic Church, believes in required ordinances such as babtism, for entering the kingdom of heaven, as well as acceptance of Jesus as one's Savior.  This is opposed to many Christian denominations' idea that accepting Jesus alone is enough.
4.  The LDS Church believes in a lay priesthood.  The majority of Church leaders receive no compensation for their service.  A few (Apostles, Quorum of the Seventy) receive a modest stipend for their full-time service.  A man serving as a bishop for 5 years may spend the next 5 years as a nursery teacher with 2-year-olds.  Most other Christian denominations have a professional clergy.

Just a few examples.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
[

A being would go through all the trouble to create and order the universe and all life in it, and then would have absolutely no concern over what happened to it after that?

Now that is what I call a leap of faith...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
#1 Nontheist

wonder how that happened being raised in Utah... spooky

No, not too spooky.  There are lots of people, especially in the Salt Lake valley and in Park City areas, who aren't "Mormons".
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#43]
trolling.....trolling....trolling...

TROLL HIDE!!!!

Sgtar15

<Stupid topic>
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Supposing God's non-existence, then we are all just animals. Animals kill and eat each other. Humanity would just be another animal who organized to more effectively prey on weaker people. Religion, race, sex, almost anything would become a cause to kill or subjugate those who do not agree not because any of those are legitimate reasons....

But because man is at heart an animal who views the world through the prism of his own base urges and will fill them at any cost.

I submit that religion is not the lone cause, or even the major cause of violence in our world. The major cause is that there are people who are willing to take whatever they want by force. Most "religious" conflicts are only about religion on the surface. When you examine things more closely you find that usually the problem is more about the old reliable motives: Greed, jealousy, power, etc.

Man has never lacked for a reason to kill each other. If the excuse of religion was gone, he would most certainly find other reasons.

Good point, but I'm tired of the religious reason, lets try something else for a few thousand years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
trolling.....trolling....trolling...

TROLL HIDE!!!!

Sgtar15

<Stupid topic>

Shoot'em up, shoot'em down,
shoot'em all around,
with a .50 BMG...
TROLL HIDE!!!!!

Now go back to your happy place (or should I say grouchy place).

ETA, don't you have some trash can on Sesame Street to go home to?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You may not like it, but history supports it.

Thus why anarchy will never work, and why all societies have some form of a 'social contract'.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I reckon I'm a Secular Humanist...what's that?  I heard of that before and I think I remember Eric The Hun refer to me as one, but what does it mean?  I know what secularism means, an I suspect what SH means.  I want the sarcastic definitions that come from close to the hearts of believers.  

It kills me how society requires that the atheist and agnostics be lumped together--like the first pageof the quiz.  .  I suppose since the vast majority of English speaking people believe in a god, the atheists have to be declared as being "not sure."  Otherwise, the believers have to discredit themselves to give the athiests credit for their "belief."  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Good point, but I'm tired of the religious reason, lets try something else for a few thousand years.

The Good Book says that there is nothing new under the sun. I am afraid history bears that out. There haven't been any really new reasons to kill someone in quite a while.

I really don't think man is capable of coming up with a new one....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The inherent problem with that line of argument (to the believers among us) is that you would have to assume that either 1) Jesus was lying or 2) The writers of the Gospels were lying - or at least horribly misinterpreted things.

That's a problem for believers, yes...I am not one.  I think 2 is more likely, because I doubt the writers of the gospels knew what Jesus said in life at all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Supposing God's non-existence, then we are all just animals.

There is no "just" about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top