Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 5:10:58 AM EDT
need a new dining room

any reccomendations for companies of the "factory direct" type?

thanks

anyway, my wife says thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
On vacation through Mooresville, I saw a BADCOCK Furniture store.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]
try home comfort
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Just use a CC.

I met my brother there and he bought several thousand in furniture.   Was going to pay with travelers checks, but I talked him into a CC

Place went bankrupt before they delivered.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I dropped $10,000 on Thomasville in the past year, supposedly they're from North Carolina, right?
Nope. Their "Urban Retreat" line, which I spent a fortune on, is made in fucking Communist China  I was not a happy customer when I spotted the first of many "Made In China" stickers on the back of my new furniture. It's beautiful, solid furniture that will last longer than I will, but I still feel like I was lied to. No more Thomasville for me.

Here's what I got bamboozled on. I have this and this in my dining room. Really beautiful stuff, but made in China. I also have the matching bedroom set

Try Ethan Allen.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I had good luck with A & H Wayside when I furnished my place about 10 years ago.  Saved a boatload of money.  Probably close to half off the prices in the local furniture stores.

www.ahwayside.com/

Dave
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I dropped $10,000 on Thomasville in the past year, supposedly they're from North Carolina, right?
Nope. Their "Urban Retreat" line, which I spent a fortune on, is made in fucking Communist China  I was not a happy customer when I spotted the first of many "Made In China" stickers on the back of my new furniture. It's beautiful, solid furniture that will last longer than I will, but I still feel like I was lied to. No more Thomasville for me.

Here's what I got bamboozled on. I have this and www.thomasville.com/Products/Product.asp?ItemID=3711 in my dining room. Really beautiful stuff, but made in China. I also have the matching bedroom set

Try Ethan Allen.

You got fucked big time.  I'd return it.

I guess times have changed.  I bought a Thomasville china cabinet at a garage sale, and in the nicely dovetailed drawers, boldly engraved is "MADE IN USA".  I paid $100 for probably what is a $4,000 piece
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#7]
We still make furniture here?  Wow, I had no idea................and come to think of it, I work in Burlington.  Hmmmmmm.......

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Back when I worked for Drexel Heritage the company made some very good furniture, but it's been over 11 years since I worked there.  I know now that quiting that job and joining the Air Force was one of the best things I've done.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Back when I worked for Drexel Heritage the company made some very good furniture, but it's been over 11 years since I worked there.  I know now that quiting that job and joining the Air Force was one of the best things I've done.  

I have read in several places that all the major NC furniture factories will be switching their production lines to China over the next 10-15 years. Scary.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nope. Their "Urban Retreat" line, which I spent a fortune on, is made in fucking Communist Chinahappy
Here's what I got bamboozled on. I have this and this in my dining room. Really beautiful stuff, but made in China. I also have the matching bedroom seth.gif

Try Ethan Allen.

Most bedroom and dining room furniture is made in China now. I think even Ethan Allen is importing some of their line.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:00:32 AM EDT
[#11]
i live in Thomasville.
there is a shit load of stores that sell market samples after the furinture markets are all over.

thomasville furinture does have a out let store here.never been in it.

here is one of the biggest stores in the area i live.
www.furniturelandsouth.com/

do searches for
Thomasville,Lexington.Winston-salem,Highpoint and greensboro.there is alot of furinture makers in this area.

the next market is  April 27 - May 3, 2006,if you come a week or so after these dates you maybe able to get a better price on some stuff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Only way to do it these days is drive to Hickory,NC. No way my wife could have picked out something over the internet. We made 2 trips up there and did not buy from any of the bignames in the furniture mall. We bought from small shops in hickory and the surrounding towns. Much better deals and they were willing to negotiate. The prices there were inflated at the mall. Your best bet may be to shop locally in PA.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:02:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have read in several places that all the major NC furniture factories will be switching their production lines to China over the next 10-15 years. Scary.

Probably won't take that long. Most people don't give a shit where it's made, it's all about price.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I worked for Drexel they had about a half dozen plants, and the last i knew they only had one open now in NC.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Write to the High Point N.C. CofC and have them send you a discount furniture guide.  There will be several companies to choose from.

In the mean time, go shopping at your local furniture stores and select the outfit that you like best.  Write down the brand and model numbers.

When the guide arrives, select a dealer that handles your brand.  Call up and negotiate a price.  You'll save at least 40% over the local store.  You'll pay 50% up front and the balance upon receipt AND YOUR INSPECTION of the delivered goods.  Since these items are not stocked, you may have to wait until the next production run.  It could take from 2-6 months.  If it's last year's model, your SOL!  There are  some drawbacks as you can see, but the savings may be worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top