Quoted:
www.der-feuerschlucker.de/feuerkunst/arm.jpg

Hold my beer and watch this!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.der-feuerschlucker.de/feuerkunst/arm.jpg

From the 1968 GCA:

(3) The term "firearm" means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

My definition: A device small enough for a man to carry, that goes boom and spits out a piece of metal.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
excellent.

I was just wondering how the BATFE percieves a firearm- legaly. So railguns, plasma weapons...arnt regulated by them...right

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Firearm = fire + arm

An arm is a weapon.

A firearm is a weapon which operates using "fire".  

Remember, the matchlocks and early cannon all literally used fire (a match or a punk was used) to initiate the propellant and expell the projectile.  Hence, you would have "fired the weapon" when applied fire to the powder charge causing it to expell the projectile.  

Our Boxer-primed and Berdan-primed systems work when the primer mixture injects fire into the powder charge.  We still use fire but we no longer need a match, or a punk.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top