Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/3/2009 12:58:27 AM EST
I saw one of these at a gun auction over the weekend.

Is Universal a brand or manufacturer name ?

Also, are these recent reproductions of the original M-1s from the WWII era or are they guns that were actually produced back in the WWII era ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:05:20 AM EST
In a word, junk.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:11:31 AM EST
Universal is a brand name, they are non-USGI part M1 carbine clones. I've owned one, and it was a great little shooter. Don't pay anywhere close to USGI price for one though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:14:56 AM EST
Does it say JAM-O-MATIC on it also?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:35:07 AM EST
Mine works just fine, and was a good deal cheaper than a USGI model
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:43:42 AM EST
I owned several carbines when I was a kid and my Universal was the best one out of all of them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:46:21 AM EST
I have two of them, one in .30 cal and one in .256 Winchester Magnum cal. Never had a problem with either one, and in fact the .30 cal one feeds soft nose ammo a lot more reliably than a GI carbine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:50:06 AM EST
As everybody has pointed out they were an aftermarket company. Some universals are better than others, it depends on how many USGI parts are used, some of the universal parts are junk. I think at the end they ran out of USGI parts and started making their own.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:50:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By BeauBeaux:
In a word, junk.

That
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:00:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By EightySecond:

In a word, junk.

That

Did either one of you actually own one or are you just repeating what you heard?

And BeauBeaux WTF are you doing back over here?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:05:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 3:09:48 AM EST by topknot]

Originally Posted By TC6969:

In a word, junk.

That

Did either one of you actually own one or are you just repeating what you heard?

And BeauBeaux WTF are you doing back over here?

I highly doubt it. They are most likely just regurgitating the standard line.

I owned one and loved it. Killed two coyotes with it. I only sold it because I bought a GI one from CMP and didn't need two.

ETA: To answer the OP's original question - it is a commercial pseudo-copy.

Here is a nice little page of info on them: https://www.maxicon.com/guns/universal_m1/universal_m1_carbine_production.htm
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:11:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:16:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By eastTXhunter:

In a word, junk.

That

They have a bad reputation for something breaking on them. I can't think of what it is, I will search.

The op rod has a bad habit of breaking at the weld. The trigger housing is made of cheap pot metal. Some of the later Universals supposedly can fire out of battery. There's a guy on Jouster who posted extensively about them. I bought one the day I turned 18 (a long time ago). It's a fun little gun but not as well made as a GI carbine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:16:49 AM EST
My dad bought a Universal carbine when I was a kid. We put a lot of ammo through it over the years, but it was always jamming. It was rare that it would ever make it all the way through a 15 round mag with out hanging up, and the 30 rounders...forget about it.

When my Dad passed away a few years ago I got all of his guns. I kept every single one of them except the Universal carbine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:17:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By eastTXhunter:

In a word, junk.

That

They have a bad reputation for something breaking on them. I can't think of what it is, I will search.

operating rod. Universal made one without the full hump enclosing the lug on the bolt. They went with an open window. Broken at the window was the problem.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:19:06 AM EST
I had one and it was a total POS.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:19:16 AM EST
Utter crap. Had one, sold it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:24:28 AM EST
I bought one used at a price i couldn't refuse even if it was a Universal. It needed a little work on the extractor before it ran 100%. It is possible someone didn't assemble it correctly at one point in it's life before it got to me. Once i got the extractor squared away and got a good magazine in it, it ran 100%. That said, I traded it at a profit on another gun since the Universal wasn't a real GI and I'm funny about having the real thing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:26:25 AM EST
had one i rebuilt the stock on after i bought it, it was cracked at the wrist. paid 175$ it was average, fed and functioned OK but not great. if you cna find one for 300$ or less theyre a good range gun or plinker, a USGI carbine is 5x the gun, but usually 2-3x the money.

the jouster page is very good info on these, there are serial number ranges there for the good, the iffy and the unsafe to shoot carbines. early models were built with leftover WWII USGI parts on universal built recivers. when teh parts ran out they started making thier own. the later models were the ones that had OOB firing issues and parts breakage problems. ive seena couple on GB being sold as parts guns with cracked or broken op rods.

SW
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:32:29 AM EST
For the aftermarket clones, you are better off going for a Plainfield.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:24:26 AM EST
Looks like quite a few people got good service out of their universals.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:35:00 AM EST
What was the M1 Carbine that Aim Suplus sold years ago for a good price?

Where they Universal?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:39:26 AM EST
they were okay, I was offered one last week for the 'bargain' price of 700.00...needless to say I passed on this...guy called me up to tell me a dealer gave him 600.00 for it and 400 for a Nagant. If you want a nice Carbean get a ww2 GI model in decent shape and be done with it.oh, the plainfield machine ones are decent too if you can find one and they won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:41:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By WhirlyGirl45:
they were okay, I was offered one last week for the 'bargain' price of 700.00

Now that's just ridiculous. IIRC I had about $200 in mine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:42:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By PBIR:

they were okay, I was offered one last week for the 'bargain' price of 700.00

Now that's just ridiculous. IIRC I had about $200 in mine.
this guy has Lugers, 1911's etc...70 years old, selling off his entire collection only his prices are based purely on fantasy...he does not use the internet at all so no gunbroker etc...I've given up on doing any kind of business with him.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:53:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By wpshooter:

Also, are these recent reproductions of the original M-1s from the WWII era or are they guns that were actually produced back in the WWII era ?

Thanks.

POS
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:53:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By m23shooter:
Originally Posted By wpshooter:

Thanks.

POS
I think its covered now....

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:56:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By -RTC-:
Looks like quite a few people got good service out of their universals.

Most people who actually owned one would tell you that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:59:29 AM EST
Some of them are fine. Some of them are potmetal junk. The quality is directly related to the number of USGI parts.

Given the relative low price of USGI carbines from CMP and the rising prices of the commercial copies, I really cannot recommend any of the M1 carbine clones any more. The Plainfields are probably the best of that lot, and even they are inferior to a USGI carbine (and I own both).

-Mark
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:02:58 AM EST
They are M1 carbine clones. I owned one and it shot great.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:13:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 6:14:11 AM EST by SageEBR]
they were okay, I was offered one last week for the 'bargain' price of 700.00...needless to say I passed on this...guy called me up to tell me a dealer gave him 600.00 for it and 400 for a Nagant. If you want a nice Carbean get a ww2 GI model in decent shape and be done with it.oh, the plainfield machine ones are decent too if you can find one and they won't break the bank.

Wow, can you tell me where this dealer is? I have a couple of guns I could stand to sell at 4x their value.
Top Top