Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 6:23:10 PM EDT
hi ladies and gents. Tonight we will be looking into the habitat of a most strange animal. the sniper wolfe. Noone is really sure what this creature is but I have determined within myself to find the answer to this age old question.

ok all joking aside, what is a sniper wolfe? Ive seen this name on more than a dozen forums over the years and it has never been the same person. Where did this name originate? I know what a sniper is. and I know what a wolf is (not sure what a wolfe is though) so wth is a sniper wolfe???  [BD]

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
i think its a teenager
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
A bizarre mix between Carlos Hathcock and Tom Wolfe? [smartass]

NsB
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Me thinks it was a character in a Playstation game. I could be mistaken, but I'm 99% sure it was some blonde hottie with a PSG1 from Metal Gear Solid.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats a WolfAR15? Is it when you shoot Wolf ammo and the steel case gets lodged in the chamber, thereby becoming "mated" with the AR?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Me thinks it was a character in a Playstation game. I could be mistaken, but I'm 99% sure it was some blonde hottie with a PSG1 from Metal Gear Solid.
View Quote

when did this game come out? I remember seeing this name as early as Jan. 2000
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what is a sniper wolfe?
View Quote

It is a young human who shaves his head for free ARFCOM membership.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I see I'm quickly becoming famous.

[8D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]www.planettribes.com/sniperschool/header_left.jpg[/img]

Welcome to Sniperwolf's School of Sniping!

Listen up recruit! you are here for one reason. You want to be a better sniper. Here at my school you will learn the basics of sniping, as well as some advanced tactics. Use of this information, is at your discretion. I may be good but I am by no means a sniping god. Our goal here is not to make you a sniping god. That is something that only comes with experience.

Our goal at this facility is to help you train to the point where you are a decent sniper, who can aid his fellow tribesmen in combat. The information you are about to receive pertains mostly to renegades servers, however some of the information with regards to tactics will pertain to any version.

Now lets get started recruit!

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Ahh, more like infamous, your really "in", and famous too.[;D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
yes she was
and from a quick check it came out in 1998 (first release that is has been rereleased a couple times)
[img]http://mgworld.free.fr/sniper_artwoks.jpg[/img]

hope the image shows Im to lazy to rehost it
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#12]
[defensive]Hey, she was a cool character in the game![/defensive]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

[img]http://www.spawn.com/toys/games/mgs/sniperwolf/images/mgs_sniperwolf_photo_03_dp.jpg[/img]
[center]Sniper Wolf from Metal Gear Solid, 1998.[/center]

Edited to add:  Even though I knew exactly where this was, I was too slow as cyrax777 beat me to it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#14]
[lolabove]I'd like to fire some shots from THAT grassy knowle
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[url]http://www.spawn.com/toys/games/mgs/sniperwolf/images/mgs_sniperwolf_photo_03_dp.jpg[/url]
[center]Sniper Wolf from Metal Gear Solid, 1998.[/center]yours is a better pic thu. I just did a quick google search.

Edited to add:  Even though I knew exactly where this was, I was too slow as cyrax777 beat me to it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

NsB
View Quote

Who is Tom Wolfe?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[lolabove]I'd like to fire some shots from THAT grassy knowle
View Quote

I'd like to fire some shots TO that grassy knoll!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#18]
ok all joking aside, what is a sniper wolfe?
View Quote

I think it means Gay Dog or something...

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe you're a sniper, but when it comes to playing games with snipers in them,  I'm not too bad myself.  Playing Unreal Tournament online, I've become such a major pain in the ass (on my favorite CTF maps) that I've been kicked from quite a few servers.  I guess they hate it when I hit 'godlike' and keep on nailing the other team as fast as they can respawn.    Yes, I AM that asshole sniper that drives you insane and that you can't find...or if you do find me, you never get the chance to pop off a shot at me because "I am superior."

People hate that so much that sometimes, they'll switch to my team just to knock me off my perch.  Then things get fun!

I always had a hard time finding some willing teammates who would coordinate their sniping with me and stick to the plan.  Give me two hot flag runners and three good snipers, all who'll stick to the rules,  and we'll trample the ass of any other team out there.

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Didn't I see that rifle in Heat?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:16:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Who is Tom Wolfe?
View Quote

While there are many Tom Wolfe's, I think the most likely candidate in this case would be the author of [i]The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test[/i], an account of Ken Kesey's (author of [i]One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest[/i]) LSD/hippy bus trip.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Reminds me of a great line from "True Lies",

Agent: They call him the Sand Spider.

Chuck:  Why?

Agent:  Because it sounds scary.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Seem to be several Wolfes on here lurking. Be careful and dont get bit!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[url]http://www.spawn.com/toys/games/mgs/sniperwolf/images/mgs_sniperwolf_photo_03_dp.jpg[/url]

View Quote

Dude, That there is a Sniper Fox!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#26]
"ain't nothin' but a hound dog, crying all the time."
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Dude, That there is a Sniper Fox!
View Quote

no, shes a doll. no- really shes a doll
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe you're a sniper, but when it comes to playing games with snipers in them,  I'm not too bad myself.  Playing Unreal Tournament online, I've become such a major pain in the ass (on my favorite CTF maps) that I've been kicked from quite a few servers.  I guess they hate it when I hit 'godlike' and keep on nailing the other team as fast as they can respawn.    Yes, I AM that asshole sniper that drives you insane and that you can't find...or if you do find me, you never get the chance to pop off a shot at me because "I am superior."

People hate that so much that sometimes, they'll switch to my team just to knock me off my perch.  Then things get fun!

I always had a hard time finding some willing teammates who would coordinate their sniping with me and stick to the plan.  Give me two hot flag runners and three good snipers, all who'll stick to the rules,  and we'll trample the ass of any other team out there.

View Quote

Heh...

I remember that quite well.. Esp the people whining about 'camping' because they expect everyone to play like it's Quake 1 (i.e. run out and blaze away...

I got my affinity for sniping by playing vs people with broadband on my dialup system. Long range, the run-and-jump crew is just as dead. Short range, I loose due to lag...

Haven't played in a while, though...

Brings back memories...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes, I AM that asshole sniper that drives you insane and that you can't find...
View Quote

Ghost Recon, Last Man Standing ... a sniper's dream.  Even more fun when playing LMS as a team with a couple of true sniper teams:  a sniper and a dedicated rifleman to offer close support/protection.

It's a game, but it's something to do late at night when the rest of the house is snuggled in bed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#31]
ahhhh I fondly remmember my days as a sniper. the only experience Ive had so far is the delta force series. In df1 I was a dedicated counter sniper. Not the kind your used to though, I would hunt them down by tracking the sound of the gun they were using then id come from behind and deal them a quick death.

df2 found me finally trying to be a sniper. I got to be real good at the game for a time and fondly remmember making 1000meter head shots offhand. The most difficult was hitting moving targets. And just as I mastered this art I decided to leave df2. too many cheaters.

df3 found me trying new things although Id always go back to sniping. the dedicated sniper servers were great. beautiful terrain, shoot as far as the eye can see.

then came df4 tfd. this was a disappointment. The so called snipers would bounce around constantly, jumping and running and making 800m+ head shots while running and jumping. smelled like BS to me so I havnt been back in df4 since.

anyone know of a good new spec ops game for snipers? It does not need to require a 3d graphics card as I dont have one and dont have the money to buy one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NsB
View Quote

Who is Tom Wolfe?
View Quote

A writer [url]http://www.tomwolfe.com/authbio.htm[/url]

NsB
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ooh! Ooh!, I know, I know, Its a little Iraqi bitch.

[url]http://xzodus.com/funny_images/little_iraqi_bitch.jpg[/url]
View Quote
[ROFL2] VERY impressive Mr. Kotter [;D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#34]
That reminds me...

Before I got bored with Unreal Tournament, I eventually graduated from sniper to countersniper.I wouldn't bother with the flag fags,  I'd just focus on hunting down and killing other snipers.  I got pretty devious, sometimes.  I'm SURE that I found every last hiding spot on most of the maps I played most, including some glitches in some maps where you're literally invisible and suspended on what SHOULD be space but for a glitch in the map that put a small invisible surface alongside the edge
of a sheer rock wall.  The view was limited but the pickings were rich!

I like the biggest, wide open maps, as they suit my counter/sniper style.  I sort of suck at the close-in meles, though.  My way of dealing with those is to grab a nuke and do the Arab Terrorist routine.

CJ

CJ

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I know what you mean. Eventually I started countersniping the traditional way. I would pop into a df2 CTF server with a barret .50 find a good perch and nail enemy snipers and then move to a new position. It was funny to watch supposed "veteran" sniper players go back to the same spot every time after getting killed. The only problem is that the other players would complain that us snipers were not getting into the game and that we were just having our own private little death matches. Of course they didnt realise that we were keeping the enemy snipers off of their backs. and keeping the enemy flag fags in their own bay.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
... It was funny to watch supposed "veteran" sniper players go back to the same spot every time after getting killed ...
View Quote

In Ghost Recon, I've gotten into the habit of moving over and laying down where my last victim was.  You wouldn't believe the number of times that someone will pass you by, believing you to be a comrade's dead body.  I've also noticed that a number of players only expect a single sniper at a location.  If you're working in sniper teams, one can lay next to, almost on, a partner.  Should one of you get eliminated, the other is usually overlooked...especially by "runners" who come upon you from behind.  Since we're playing with pixels, not blood, you can take advantage of unscrupulous tactics like this.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#37]
In UT, you can also lie down. (feign death) I've tried that tactic with limited success.  I kept encountering pessimists who shoot bodies "just in case".

Ouch.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#38]
in df2 we had a ghillie suit and tall grass. an enemy could walk right over top of you and never know you were there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Unless he's sneaky enough to toss on his NVG.  Then you stand out like a sore thumb.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Probably my favorite anti-sniping technique:

You'd have to be familiar with the CTF-Facing Worlds map in Unreal Tournament to understand this one properly.

This is a simple map with two castles connected by a land mass,  floating in space.

The castles are very tall and not very wide.

My favored technique would be to carefully make my way to the backside ledge just below the top of the castle.  It's almost a perfect spot to hide (or it was, for a long time) because you can't be seen by anyone who isn't on that ledge, or at worst, standing on top of the castle and looking down off the back wall.

On this level, if low gravity is being used, or it's a JumpMatch, but preferrably not both at once,(simply because you spend too much time in the air after jumping and become a skeet target...and incidentally,  I also became a notoriously good skeet shooter in such matches,  often hitting someone three or four times in midair....)then I'd grab the sniper's rifle, hit that ledge, preset the rifle and aim point, select scope view, zoom in to near max magnification, and jump, aim, shoot...and again, jump, aim, shoot, and so forth.  

These snap shots usually resulted in me shooting people who never saw me.  Sure, sometimes someone else would catch on and tag me,  but I figure I got a ten to one kill ratio out of that one trick.

It's also a hoot to play that map with both JumpMatch and low gravity turned on just because
of the incredible jumps you can make and your very long flight time.   Hit it just right and you can jump from one tower to the other, and that's probably 500 yards by scale.  It's more fun than a basket full of puppies!

CJ
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Is a WolfAR15 a laquer coated brown AR15 with red sealant around the trapdoor in the buttstock and the flash suppessor? [;D]

TS
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like radio code to me sniper wolf to tiger stripe over ?????
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Lumpy Chicken.... Charlie Mike.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#44]
actually wolfar15 doesnt have a meaning. I like wolves and I like ar15's hence wolfar15. its simple, I know.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sounds like radio code to me sniper wolf to tiger stripe over ?????
View Quote

Hey, that's my name! [BD]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Sooo is your name REALLY sage wolfe? If it is youve got some cool parents. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sooo is your name REALLY sage wolfe? If it is youve got some cool parents. [:)]
View Quote

Yes, my name is Sage Wolfe.

I wouldn't go that far, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top