Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2004 11:18:16 AM EST
internet related term I think...
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 11:21:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 11:22:53 AM EST
Dr. Seuse character, I think it's from "Oh, The Thinks You Can Think".
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 11:24:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/9/2004 11:25:55 AM EST by dmaas]
(apologies, double-tap/controlled pair)
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 11:25:22 AM EST
Online journals written by people who have way too much free time. Some are thoughtful and interesting like www.denbeste.nu (not working at the moment) but most are pretty trivial.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 11:28:53 AM EST
I thought it was a swamp type thing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 11:32:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2004 7:34:17 AM EST by raven]
Blogs I have to read every day:

www.littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog

www.instapundit.com

ace.mu.nu

www.allahpundit.com

www.kimdutoit.com

timblair.spleenville.com

www.powerlineblog.com

Blogs I like, but aren't updated frequently, so I read them about twice a week:

belmontclub.blogspot.com (this guy is a fucking genius. A very original thinker)

denbeste.nu (another smart guy)

www.udolpho.com (smart and funny as hell)

Actually all these guys are very smart and original, which might be why they don't post much. The ones who make several posts a day like Instapundit and LittleGreenFootballs say very little. They make brief comments about and links to news articles, and talk about what other interesting bloggers have to say.

BTW, these blogs I linked to are mostly about the news, media, and politics from a conservative point of view. Blogs can be about anything. There are ones about peoples' day-to-day life or the development of their first child. You can imagine how interesting those blogs are.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 11:48:26 AM EST
I have the beginnings of a blog RabidChicken.com
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:54:01 AM EST
What's the difference between a Blog and a forum (like this)? Can someone reply to a person's blog or is it pretty much an internet "open source" diary?

Seems to be a growing trend. I really don't see the difference, personally, between starting a blog and simply having a personal web page with a steady stream of updates that are archived.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:54:31 AM EST
When you poop big.

Big Log....BLOG
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:02:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
What's the difference between a Blog and a forum (like this)? Can someone reply to a person's blog or is it pretty much an internet "open source" diary?

Seems to be a growing trend. I really don't see the difference, personally, between starting a blog and simply having a personal web page with a steady stream of updates that are archived.

The real distintion or variation is whether the Blog owner / author creates a community. Most are indeed just 'open source diaries' or 'personal publishing'. Many of them however have comments sections where other people can comment. For many blogs, THAT is where the real action is at. The Owner / Author sets the tone or topic, the commenters do their thing.

Yesterday's busting of CBS's lies on the forged documents was a premiere example of what blogs can do. Blog hosts, and the wide range of individuals in their audiences slashed the forgeries to ribbons in less than 12hours, actually prompting other Big media to report on the forgery issue, and CBS themselves to start backtracking.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:06:24 AM EST
A blog is typically run by one or a few people, where something like arfcom has hundreds of people. The smaller size allows for better editorial control. Instapundit is the prototypical blog. It's run by one guy, Glenn Reynolds, a law prof at UTK. (And a pro-2nd amendment guy; he's done some law review articles that were pro-2nd.)

Purpose-built blog software like moveable type has some nice features, like archiving, easier editing for updates, etc.

The larger blogs have readerships in the tens of thousands.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:06:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By rayra:
Yesterday's busting of CBS's lies on the forged documents was a premiere example of what blogs can do. Blog hosts, and the wide range of individuals in their audiences slashed the forgeries to ribbons in less than 12hours, actually prompting other Big media to report on the forgery issue, and CBS themselves to start backtracking.

Is there a separate thread about this news? I heard about it briefly on G.G. Liddy today... that it was blatantly a MS Word doc... how sad is that. And people still want to vote for Kerry? (This is about Kerry right?).

It sounds like the blogs with comments are basically no different than a forum like this then... someone starts a topic... everyone else comments... the only difference being there probably are more post whores in here than on a blog.
Top Top