Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/1/2006 1:30:53 PM EDT
ever heard of a group of former highly trained / ex military doing some type of heist or big time crimes like in the movie The ROCK or the movie HEAT or DIE HARD

or former USMC Scout Sniper

most LE agencies are not prepared to go against an elite group of criminals like a former SEAL / SF / Scout Sniper

does stuff like that ever happen?

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm so tagging this...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
no witnesses
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, there WAS this SF A-team that robbed a bank in downtown Hanoi back in Vietnam.  They claimed they were acting on orders, but a military judge convicted them anyway and they went on the run in the LA Underground...  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, there WAS this SF A-team that robbed a bank in downtown Hanoi back in Vietnam.  They claimed they were acting on orders, but a military judge convicted them anyway and they went on the run in the LA Underground...  

LOL
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt any of them would be stupid enough to do that. Why? Barricaded subjects are ALWAYS killed or captured. Staying mobile is the key to escape.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
What about the Rangers who robbed the bank in Seattle last summer?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I could see a Ranger/SEAL squad sized unit taking down drug houses/drug dealers for cash-should make an entertaining movie.

Come to think of it though, the legal security contractor gig kind of takes all the wind out of "elite warriors turn to crime for fun and profit" plot devices.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The shoot-out in Miami w/ the FBI a few years back I believe was vs. 2 ex-Rangers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: Well, there WAS this SF A-team that robbed a bank in downtown Hanoi back in Vietnam.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They forgot the important component known as planning.  Being accurate with an M-4 will only get you so far.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]
In answer to your question, there would be a lot of unsolved robberies performed with great precision and effectiveness, and the robberies would be used as educational exercises at Quantico for the next  10-20 years.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They forgot the important component known as planning.  Being accurate with an M-4 will only get you so far.

Were those the guys that used an Audi S8 (or something similarly exotic) as a getaway car? Real subtle guys...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were those the guys that used an Audi S8 (or something similarly exotic) as a getaway car? Real subtle guys...

Yes.  The police ran the plates and showed up at one of the robber's homes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they had found someone in 1st Group to handle planning they might have stood a chance.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Platt and Matix were ex-Army Infantry - they put up a hell of a fight.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Well the Reserve SF/FAM dude didnt do so well....................
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Nevermind.  Beat to it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Miami shootout.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I could see a Ranger/SEAL squad sized unit taking down drug houses/drug dealers for cash-should make an entertaining movie.

A buddy of mine and I ETS'd about the same time.  He asked me, in all seriousness, to move to Florida with him.  

"We could just live on the beach, stay drunk, screw hot college chicks.  When we need money, we will just find some crack house, kill everyone in it and take the cash."

I gotta admit, it was half tempting.  Never heard from him again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Miami shootout.

Not quite.

We are talking about a very well planned operation with all contingencies addressed.  Floorplans, run-throughs, alarms bypassed, police response time known in advance, multiple escape routes, police communications monitored, diversions, etc.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#21]
There's always the Zeta's...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Come to think of it though, the legal security contractor gig kind of takes all the wind out of "elite warriors turn to crime for fun and profit" plot devices.

that would make an entertaining movie

they would be more like Vigilantes or kind of like Paul Kersey in Death Wish
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A buddy of mine and I ETS'd about the same time.  He asked me, in all seriousness, to move to Florida with him.  

"We could just live on the beach, stay drunk, screw hot college chicks.  When we need money, we will just find some crack house, kill everyone in it and take the cash."

I gotta admit, it was half tempting.  Never heard from him again.

I may know of someone who has been asked about this sort of thing. Thing is, I doubt it would be investigated to the fullest by LE, due to the nature and occupation of the "victims."
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#24]
A member of Canada's anti-terrorism response unit (JTF-2, modelled on the SAS) was involved in a bank robbery.

That same month, it was reported that members of JTF2 and the naval reserves were suspected of being involved, along with a former member of the Airborne Regiment, in the 1998 Calgary bank robbery and that they were still serving in the Canadian Forces.

RF
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
most LE agencies are not prepared to go against an elite group of criminals like a former SEAL / SF / Scout Sniper

does stuff like that ever happen?

Damn right they are not prepared to handle that.  Hell, they have a tricky enough time dealing with retarded criminals.  99% of Real Operators would never do something like that.  They already proved whatever it was they had to prove.  They love America so they wouldn't rob from it.

It's good Hollywood stuff though.  Shit, if a real SEAL or DELTA op got a screw loose, they'd f** some s** up big time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#26]
There was a group of Rangers who attempted to rob a bank in WA almost a year ago.  They got caught because they were too stupid to know to hide their license plates.  

I would be more concerned about a group of ex-SWAT cops, particularly if any of them also have training in evidence collection/analysis or forensics, or have assistance from people with that sort of training.  

Seriously, a small group of SWAT cops with maybe a detective and a forensic investigator helping them out would be extremely dangerous and hard to trace.  Oh, and give them a lawyer, too (), and there will be a huge problem for society if they choose to involve themselves in organized criminal activity.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Most, if not all of the original members are dead.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#28]
As someone mentioned above, the Mexican Zetas have been reportedly involved in the drug biz for years.  There have also been reports that they've conducted raids in the US: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44899

True, they ain't Seal Team 1, but they're not amatuers and they were trained by US SF troopers.  It seems that the new crop recieved training the same training that the originals did.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#29]
The ones that seek that stuff become CIA operatives I assume.
I would think a well trained SF team could accomplish damn near whatever they wanted to if they decided to put their abilities toward circumventing the law...but I would like to think that most of them have the discipline not to.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that would make an entertaining movie

they would be more like Vigilantes or kind of like Paul Kersey in Death Wish

I guess you could say that it's already been done (poorly) as "Dead Presidents" with ex "Recon Marines"
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Feh,

Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery would kick their asses again.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Thought they were full blown Rangers, could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought one was a ranger, and one was regular infantry
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#35]
well.. if really sharp 'operators' .. whatever that is wanted to make some extra money, and they were trully smart folks, they would prolly rob something.. ah liquid..., small that could be sold anywhere, hard or impossible to trace.. thats requirement 1..

second is.. how to get it.. and probably home invasion of one or more controlling execs and using that control of the exec to 'liberate' the liquid stuff would be a good sound strategy instead of some sort of milspec takedown of a bank or money repository...

perhaps some obscure art object desired.. by a private collector, prolly middle eastern or oriental.. would be one type of target, uncut diamonds perhaps in the 1 to 2 carat range, mostly flawless, gold perhaps but its too heavy and hard to transport...

stop thinkin about A-team attacks, heat, ramboo, james bond lazer protected vaults, bullet proof vests, sniper teams covering exits with silenced barret 50s, black helicopters and 100 knot cigarette boats or kevlar zodiacs for getaways.. think low-key violence, well planned, high value liquid untraceable assets and buyers willing and able to keep their mouths shut...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh...Blame Ronin for that inspiration
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I Started A New Thread About It
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

This doesn't seem right without the theme music.

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sentenced to prison by a military court for a crime they did not commit.

These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground.

Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, maybe you can hire... the A - team.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Just a question, why the hell was the A-team charged with robbing the bank in North Vietnam!  We were fighting them afterall.  I never understood that part...

But hey, its not like it was a realistic drama

Woot for folding mini-14's!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I never understood that part...

That was the most realistic part of the whole series. After all, with stuff like this floating around during Vietnam:

It would seem more than realistic.

The best part of the whole show was watching those mini-14's work.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Just a question, why the hell was the A-team charged with robbing the bank in North Vietnam!  We were fighting them afterall.  I never understood that part...

But hey, its not like it was a realistic drama

Looting?

If it wasn't for that show I might've bought a mini-14.
Notice how they never hit anyone?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#42]
An elite team would be in and out no problem, but would do something dumb like use their daddy's Mercedes in the crime.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This doesn't seem right without the theme music.

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sentenced to prison by a military court for a crime they did not commit.

These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground.

Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them maybe you can hire... the A - team.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most, if not all of the original members are dead.

I was just answering the question. I know most of the originals have now been deaded by the governor and the clique mob.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Miami shootout.

Not quite.

We are talking about a very well planned operation with all contingencies addressed.  Floorplans, run-throughs, alarms bypassed, police response time known in advance, multiple escape routes, police communications monitored, diversions, etc.  

This is funny.  You can never know the exact police response time to any call.  The best you could do is work off the average time.  Unlike the fire department, there are always cop cars roaming around somewhere and not waiting in a station house for the big one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

In the new Movie version being made they deserted to keep from serving in the IRAQ war....
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It worked in Ronin....
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh...Blame Ronin for that inspiration

Did they know the color of the boat house in Hereford?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Damn right they are not prepared to handle that.  Hell, they have a tricky enough time dealing with retarded criminals.  99% of Real Operators would never do something like that.  They already proved whatever it was they had to prove.  They love America so they wouldn't rob from it.

It's good Hollywood stuff though.  Shit, if a real SEAL or DELTA op got a screw loose, they'd f** some s** up big time.

Fortunatly, the crazies are usually weeded out, and the crazy but good ones generally stay in and don't rock the boat (why steal from a bank, when you can play with explosives and blow shit up...and get paid to do it, in a faraway land, agaisnt foreign people? Beats the hell out of hitting a Stop N' Rob and hoping you get more than $100 out of the deal...)

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
There was a group of Rangers who attempted to rob a bank in WA almost a year ago.  They got caught because they were too stupid to know to hide their license plates.  

I would be more concerned about a group of ex-SWAT cops, particularly if any of them also have training in evidence collection/analysis or forensics, or have assistance from people with that sort of training.  

Seriously, a small group of SWAT cops with maybe a detective and a forensic investigator helping them out would be extremely dangerous and hard to trace.  Oh, and give them a lawyer, too (), and there will be a huge problem for society if they choose to involve themselves in organized criminal activity.  

Who says that's not already happening?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top