Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 1:58:39 PM EDT by OhioLongRange]
when i was on the rifle team in the 80's our club had m14's with welded selectors ... since ATF dont like that, im assuming CMP clubs no longer have those?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:58:47 PM EDT
Clinton had them chopped, and Micheals took off the parts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:59:53 PM EDT
Once a machine gun, always a machine gun. In the ATF fantasy land anyway.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:07:53 PM EDT
did they send a letter to all the clubs to return them?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:20:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 2:24:56 PM EDT by 30Caliber]

Originally Posted By OhioLongRange:

Yeah, that was a little while after we went into Iraq and Afghanistan. The clubs and state associations had to send them back in.

ETA: The letter went out in Jan 2007.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:22:14 PM EDT

I don't know. I'm surprised there were ever any given to the clubs. I think there's a CMP forum where you could probably find someone more knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:23:42 PM EDT
A good many went to both sand boxes, doing the job they
were built for.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:27:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 2:28:24 PM EDT by 30Caliber]

Originally Posted By Aptrgangr:

I don't know. I'm surprised there were ever any given to the clubs. I think there's a CMP forum where you could probably find someone more knowledgeable.

You could check them out from your state association, usually for a year at a time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:31:00 PM EDT
A great many have uselessly gone to LE agencies.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 2:49:20 PM EDT by shack357]

I've always wondered about that. It's legal to take a demilled BREN receiver, machine the scrap receiver pieces to become semi only, weld the pieces together and make a semi-only BREN right?(we had a member have this done recently and the company that did the work said it was legal if done in that order). With that as a precedent, would it be legal to take M14 receiver parts, weld the selector hole, remove anything critical to selector attachment, and build a rewelded M14? Common sense would suggest yes, but ATF rulings frequently run contrary to common sense, as we all know.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:48:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By patriot73:

A department two towns from me has 9 of them, reconverted to select fire by a local SOT(don't know why a small town dept needs nine automatics, but it got a local businessman a few hundred dollars).
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:50:16 PM EDT

We're building ours up into designated marksman rifles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:50:19 PM EDT
You would think taking 30 seconds to Dremel the selector lug off the receiver would be sufficient to render the weapon system no longer capable of full auto fire........

But, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:51:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By shack357:

A department two towns from me has 9 of them, reconverted to select fire by a local SOT(don't know why a small town dept needs nine automatics, but it got a local businessman a few hundred dollars).

Because they can use tax dollars to play soldier. An agency who locks an M14 to FA needs them taken away.

An M14 in auto is not the world's most useful weapon. There is a reason it was replaced.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:51:17 PM EDT
We had 8 really nice ones in our (NG) vault and we had to turn them in back in '97 or '98. They were TDA guns and went at the same time as
the M3A1's we were keeping around for our AVLB crews.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:51:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 2:54:18 PM EDT by Mosin_Nagant]

I've always wondered about that. It's legal to take a demilled BREN receiver, machine the pieces to become semi only, weld the pieces together and make a semi-only BREN right?(we had a member have this done recently and the company that did the work said it was legal if done in that order). With that as a precedent, would it be legal to take M14 receiver parts, weld the selector hole, remove anything critical to selector attachment, and build a rewelded M14? Common sense would suggest yes, but ATF rulings frequently run contrary to common sense, as we all know.

If you had an M14 receiver that was cut into three pieces, and you made the pieces semi-auto only, then welded it back together I don't see why it wouldn't be legal.

I think the hard part would be coming across a chopped up M14 receiver legally.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:00:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mosin_Nagant:

I've always wondered about that. It's legal to take a demilled BREN receiver, machine the pieces to become semi only, weld the pieces together and make a semi-only BREN right?(we had a member have this done recently and the company that did the work said it was legal if done in that order). With that as a precedent, would it be legal to take M14 receiver parts, weld the selector hole, remove anything critical to selector attachment, and build a rewelded M14? Common sense would suggest yes, but ATF rulings frequently run contrary to common sense, as we all know.

If you had an M14 receiver that was cut into three pieces, and you made the pieces semi-auto only, then welded it back together I don't see why it wouldn't be legal.

I think the hard part would be coming across a chopped up M14 receiver legally.

I've seen rear halves/thirds several times, I just assumed the other two pieces were floating around somewhere. Maybe I'm wrong about that(the other pieces), it's a moot point anyway, it's well beyond my tools and skill level to do myself, and nobody is doing it in a shop.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:04:44 PM EDT
CMP is selling M-14 parts kits.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:12:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PhatForrest:

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:10:28 PM EDT
I know before they said "send them back" they really jacked up the requirements to keep them, they wanted someone from our association to assume PERSONAL liability to the tune of a million bucks or something ridiculous to keep ours, I got to shoot 'mine' once, finished my last shot, removed magazine, showed clear, and handed it to the association highpower director along with the two magazines and a sling I'd been issued with it. We'd figured that day would come someday anyway and had bought some AR-15's for our junior programs, I don't think ANY of the M14's were in the hands of new shooters at that point (the original purpose of the program). This was in the same time frame that the US military started needing rifles for designated marksmen, so I'm sure that's where they went. I'll buy a civilian one some day, just not my highest priority, already have several M1's.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:38:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 5:54:00 AM EDT by patriot73]

Do you have bayonets too? Never know when you will have to wage a frontal bayonet charge.

CT taxpayers deserve a refund. I will assume the state is picking up the tab for these "builds"

As Rome burns, this is what we do. Outstanding.

ETA: Making an M14 accurate and keeping it that way takes a great deal of work. Dropping the action in a $300 stupid looking stock won't cut it. The expense to turn an M14 into a DMR is in way at all justified.

An AR out of the box is damn near as accurate as a NM M14 with the proper loads.

What a ridiculous waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:52:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
You would think taking 30 seconds to Dremel the selector lug off the receiver would be sufficient to render the weapon system no longer capable of full auto fire........

Makes sense, but it defeats the purpose of destroying perfectly good M-14s.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:54:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Originally Posted By stoner63a:

Makes sense, but it defeats the purpose of destroying perfectly good M-14s.

No it makes no sense because the receivers are heat treated. Cutting heat treated receiver lugs with a dremel is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:57:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 5:59:51 AM EDT by PhatForrest]

Do you have bayonets too? Never know when you will have to wage a frontal bayonet charge.

CT taxpayers deserve a refund. I will assume the state is picking up the tab for these "builds"

Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? They aren't doing 20 of them, one or 2, over a five year period.

What other near-freebies from the gov, that get to be outfitted for the price of the parts purchased are wastes? Would your rather they met the smelter instead? Let's face facts, the gov ain't going to let mere pions get their hands on these things. I'd love to order them straight from the CMP, but it ain't happening.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:00:11 AM EDT

ETA: Making an M14 accurate and keeping it that way takes a great deal of work. Dropping the action in a $300 stupid looking stock won't cut it. The expense to turn an M14 into a DMR is in way at all justified.

An AR out of the box is damn near as accurate as a NM M14 with the proper loads.

You want to hate? You should see all the M14's that went to PD's in Haiti and other 3rd world shit holes.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:03:12 AM EDT
Oh your one of those people that think things are "FREE"

Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? They aren't doing 20 of them, one or 2, over a five year period.

What other near-freebies from the gov, that get to be outfitted for the price of the parts purchased are wastes? Would your rather they met the smelter instead? Let's face facts, the gov ain't going to let mere pions get their hands on these things. I'd love to order them straight from the CMP, but it ain't happening.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:14:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 6:15:51 AM EDT by patriot73]
Originally Posted By Wave:

You want to hate? You should see all the M14's that went to PD's in Haiti and other 3rd world shit holes.

No, actually I don't want to hate, I want government agencies to stop pissing away peoples money on shit like this. Especially when you can buy a modern off the rack rifle for around a grand that will drive tighter tacks than any M14 could ever drive. Don't get me wrong, I love M14's have been shooting them since I was a kid. I know what they are capable of. Being no stranger to building the M14 rifle, I understand what goes into accuracy and the modern stocks aren't going to cut it.

I wonder how many muzzle crown-flash hider squaring is going on, or if they even have any idea why you'd do that or how.

On to Haiti, yeah that blows. They also went to the Philippines and I saw a picture of some guy humping one through the jungle with an empty shoved in the gas cylinder and being held in by duct tape, obviously they lost the gas plug.

Many also went to Lithuania and Clinton being the 60's shit bag he was had untold numbers cut into pieces.

I don't want to hate, I want logical fiscal conservatism and an end put to the blank check LE seems to have for nonsense. My property tax bill means quite a bit more to me than a couple of cops playing with an M14.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:17:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wave:

We sent a bunch to Ethiopia/Somalia years ago

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:18:30 AM EDT
Yup, that's me. I love it when my taxes go up just as much as you do.
Originally Posted By xcell:

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:30:06 AM EDT
Yup, that's me. I love it when my taxes go up just as much as you do.
Originally Posted By xcell:

Then urge your "agency" to purchase AR15's that won't take countless man hours and machine work to make a DMR, which is an unnecessary tool for your work to begin with.

Broke PD's getting M14's for free from the CMP and keeping them clean and maintained is one thing. I have been pretty much all over your state, it isn't broke. Taking a beautiful rifle and molesting it for no good reason and having taxpayers foot the bill is another thing entirely.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:09:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ElectricSheep556:

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/forum/images/smilies/new_jerkit.gif

Top Top