Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/14/2006 6:20:31 AM EDT
I started out originally using Hoppes, because that seems to be the default gun cleaner. I then tried out Break Free CLP, but I found that it was too goopy and didn't clean very well anyway. And it would ooze out of everywhere even if I just used a little bit and applied it carefully.

Next I tried RemOil, which was better then CLP, but kind of expensive. It also had the oozing problem but not as bad. Also RemOil was aerosol, which made cleaning easier but fumed up the house pretty bad.

So then I went back to Hoppes #9 solvent and oil. I like these because the solvent cleans well and the oil is thick enough to stay put. However, some people say that Hoppes will damage gun finishes, which concerned me because I like to wipe down slide with a patch of hoppes to dissolve the powder residue.

Now I am trying out Hoppes elite and lube. The hoppes elite solvent, in the spray bottle, is pretty convenient. It seems to clean about as well as #9. However the elite lube is terrible, it is very runny and it all ran out my slide overnight. I only use a drop on a patch and spread it around but it still ran out so I don't think I like it so much.

So what do you guys use for your cleaners and lubricants?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:34:16 AM EDT
For about the past couple years I have used FP-10 to clean everything but the barrel. For bore cleaning, it's been Blue Wonder and Sweet's for copper fouling.

When I need a water based gun cleaner to remove oil, I use Slip 2000's 725 gun cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:48:52 AM EDT
I use Hoppes most of the time. Usually lube with clp or rem gun oil. However, there have been times when a more expedient method has been required while out in the field.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:02:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 7:06:10 AM EDT by pv74]
Butches Bore Shine or even better. Montanna Extreme...sold by Sinclair International..those are the two best copper solvents on the market IMHO.

For a real bitch job, try an Outer's foul out...

For oil, I like to use Eezox...leaves a nice dry film...

Buy your patches in bulk from midway, use a proper jag and a nice rod...I like Dewey rods...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:06:37 AM EDT
Hoppes, CLP and Brakecleen,
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:08:43 AM EDT
Tetra gun cleaner is what i use it does a good job and it is not too expensive.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:11:01 AM EDT
Brake cleaner, Clenzoil and Militech1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:11:35 AM EDT
Hoppes powder solvent, Hoppes Copper Solvent, Butch's, and Hoppes Oil .

In some cases I use the water based foam too followed by cheap brake cleaner to rinse and then the items listed above.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:12:49 AM EDT
CLP and Butch's bore shine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:13:37 AM EDT
WD-40 and paper towels.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:20:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
WD-40 and paper towels cut up t-shirt.

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:22:10 AM EDT
Cleaner: Shooters Choice
Lubrication: FP10 & Wilcon's Ultima Lube
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:24:11 AM EDT
Slip 2000 carbon cutter. Have a dunk tank for pistols. Works great.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:25:42 AM EDT
Hoppes #9 in a little tupperwear tub to soak the small pieces and whatnot in while I work on the bore and make it real easy to soak a patch, wear the purple nitrile gloves while cleaning (NOT latex and NOT other types...MUST be nitrile, that's the only kind that'll block those solvents from your skin)..

For lube, it depends. On things like 1911's and Garands and other iron and steel pieces, I use Brownell's Action Lube on a lot of things. Basically, grease. A lot of people keep forgetting that when 1911's and such were first made, there WAS no good oil..it was specced out to run with things greased, not oiled. So, a little grease here, a little grease there, and presto, one stupidly reliable and well-cycling firearm. Even on polymer handguns, for stuff where there's steel on steel (like locking blocks, barrel locks, etc) I like to lightly grease things up.

For newer stuff like AR's and polymer framed handguns, I use Shooter's Choice FP-10 lube..a little bit of that goes a fair ways as well.

One thing that I find works really well for getting handguns done quickly is to let a lot of the parts (in fact, all that you can, really) let soak in a little disposeable tupperwear-like tub with just enough Hoppes in it to barely cover things...let the barrel stay in there the longest, with occasional scrubbing of the bore with a bore brush. Don't hit it with a patch, just run a wet bore brush through it 5-10 times, and dump back into the Hoppes. Take out another small part, wipe it all down, get all the carbon and solvent off of it..repeat on the barrel.

By the time the barrel's the only thing left in there, the Hoppes should be pretty dark from all the carbon..and the barrel should be pretty damn clean once you wipe the solvent off, and run patches through the barrel until they come out clean and dry.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:34:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 7:35:33 AM EDT by DarkNite]
Cleaner: Butch's Bore Shine or Montana Extreme. This really gets the gunk out, both powder and copper fouling.

Lube: FP-10. I use a pump bottle and apply a thin coat using Q-Tips to the wear areas. Provides an excellent level of lubricity without creating a gunk-trap.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:48:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
... wear the purple nitrile gloves while cleaning (NOT latex and NOT other types...MUST be nitrile, that's the only kind that'll block those solvents from your skin)..

Yeah, I use those nitrile gloves myself. They do a good job and are relatively cheap I suppose. I think you get a box of 50(?) 100(?) for like $10.00. I usually pick them up at Walgreen's. Supposedly, the Breakfree CLP is non-toxic but can irritate sensitive skin. Regardless, I go ahead and wear the gloves so I don't smell like CLP for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:52:05 AM EDT

WD-40 and paper towels.

WOW you too!! That is all we use in the shop! Well that and some valve grinding compound on those really stubborn dirty barrels..
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:53:51 AM EDT
Hoppes or Ed's Red for solvent, Tetragun for oil.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:56:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:03:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sleepdr:

Same here.

Me too, except to add Sweet's every now and then if needed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:10:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 8:11:38 AM EDT by Q3131A]
Hoppies becuase it smells like my Grandfather's work room. The smell of my youth.

I do use breakfree and Miltec as well.

ETA: Gunscrubber is great to clean brushed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:12:21 AM EDT
CLP Brakefree & Kroil is all you will ever need. Kroil is some awesome stuff for getting fouling both copper and lead out of bbls with no problem. I have found paper towels work great for patches.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:12:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:
Hoppies becuase it smells like my Grandfather's work room. The smell of my youth.

That's yet another thing I like about it too. Reminds me of my dad and my younger days.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:12:50 AM EDT
Breakfree CLP

on everything but my Garand.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:30:32 AM EDT
Ed's Red, Brake cleaner, and Mobil 1....

I tried it and see no difference other than the cost !
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:43:12 AM EDT
My favorite and all I use.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:44:45 AM EDT

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:22:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

WD-40 and paper towels.

WOW you too!! That is all we use in the shop! Well that and some valve grinding compound on those really stubborn dirty barrels..

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:27:21 AM EDT
Top Top