Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/13/2008 9:10:35 PM EDT
I have never taken her to the range with me and I only own two AR's and a subcompact xd40.  I am in the market for something "new".  I would really like to get my girlfriend to participate.  She doesn't dislike firearms, she likes having them in the house, but she does dislike the money I spend on them which is kind of understandable.

So my question is:  what is the best firearm to get her/me for "general" purpose that will be "cheap" to shoot and entertaining. (Rifle or Pistol, dont really want a .22lr but if you feel thats the best route poease say so)
thank you
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
As a training gun (which I STRONGLY suggest you get for your gf), a .22 LR semi can't be beat, especially if you are willing and able to get more guns (i.e., get HER her own 9mm when she's 'hooked!').

My fave: the Ruger MK II or the Ruger 22/45 (which is a version of the MKII).

Revolver: the Ruger Single Six. This can be obtained with a .22 LR cylinder, and a .22 WMF (Magnum) cylinder, for additional versatility.

Both are available used, for good prices. The MKII is a PTIA to field strip and reassemble, but that's what owners manuals are for.

Its good that your girl friend isn't AGAINST guns! She's already halfway there! In a year or two, she'll be asking, "Do we have enough guns?"
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
thank you for your reply, I thought I was the only one awake this late.  That ruger is pretty cheap and I imagine I could sell it after a little while for close to the same price.  What I was thinking though, is that my interest are pretty much with the assault weapons.  I've had an ak and a shotty both were awesome but I wanted to build an AR so I sold them.  (Seriously just hit me) What do you think of the GSG-5?  I'm just figuring that if I am doing the rifle thing, she might enjoy doing the same especially if its something that looks really cool and demands attention at the range.  Ya know, I'm just thinking of the whole package here .  It would be something I bought specifically for her, then if others appreciated it she might feel a little more special.  

But I'm really liking the six shooter idea too, but do any of them come with a smaller barrel?  It might just be me, but I really think it should be something that looks really neat.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm with Frank as far as .22LR goes, although I would suggest a Ruger 10/22, which you should own anyway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]
On the other hand, don't discount the attraction of larger calibers, especially with fun targets. Back when I didnt shoot very much, I was at an event and we were shooting Solo Cups full of colored water with a big old .357 and that was a blast.

.22s are the best to learn fundamentals, but but not necessarily the most fun.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
How about getting a Ceiner .22 kit for your AR? That would be a benefit for you, too (cheap practice ammo, yay!)

I'd just ask her what she wants to shoot. I bet she has an opinion.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
My situation is different. I need to dump my wife and find a girlfriend to go with my guns. Any suggestions?

I do know that when it comes to girlfriends, 22 sounds perfect.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Your looking at this the wrong way.

Take her to a range with rental guns and have her try a few.

Most girls I've done this with prefer a fullsize, longslide, or ported 1911 of some type.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:27:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The girls I've taken shooting really like my Walther P22 pistol and Ruger 10/22 rifle a lot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]
The girls I've introduced to shooting all wanted to shoot my 10/22, after trying out the AR, an SKS, and a Glock 26.

It takes a special kind of girl to appreciate larger caliber firearms and to love the feel of recoil, and a lot of them are members here.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Krinkov
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:25:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I got a Ruger 22/45 for my wife and she loves it.
Now I need to find her another .44 spl. Some dumbass (me) sold it
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I hear everyone mentioning the 10/22 but what about the GSG-5.  I thought about getting a ceiner kit, and I probably will.  But I want to get her a firearm all her own and the AR,s are my thing so I dont think she will appreciate one as much as something only she has.

Did you ladies start with a rifle or pistol?  Which would you prefer to start with?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Most girls I've done this with prefer a fullsize, longslide, or ported 1911 of some type.

I won't say you're looking at it wrong - but I do agree with SOC about going to a range and having her try a few types. She may very well enjoy shooting a handgun in a real defensive caliber - that would be a step forward IMO. The money spent on rental could save the step of buying a gun and reselling it later - and some ranges will apply the fee towards a purchase. If you do end up with a .22 I say get a Walther , or Sig in that they are like using a combat gun in their functions - the training will cross over. I really love my Ruger , but it's definately a target pistol and the action and grip angle aren't similar to anything she may end up with for defense - the 22/45 models do solve the grip anfle issue though.
   Most importantly - make it fun for her , let her handle several guns and go with what SHE likes and is comfortable with. That will make it more fun for you too - she'll stay at the range longer most likely. My GF ended up with a G19 , AA conversion and we're still puting together her AR.

Have fun , shoot safely and remember to teach her the 4 rules.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I am not a real big handgun person, I prefer rifles. Has she shot an AR? I am assuming no since you said you never took her to the range. Let her try one of those and renting is a good option. My first time shooting a handgun I shot about 10 different ones from .22 up to .45 and I learned I liked shooting a .45 over a 9mm Glock that was next to it.

I did shoot 2 weeks ago with a friend and one was a Kimber Desert Warrior that was real nice and the other one that I felt very comfortable holding since I have real small hands and was smooth to shoot, the Sig p226. But for real, try a few and let her feel them out. I swore I liked HK USP until someone pointed out I can't shoot straight cause I can't even grip the gun correctly (small hands) then I shot other handguns and was opened to a whole new world .

I have friends who feel more comfortable shooting rifles, something about it gives them less fear and more control. I say try the AR and a few handguns, I fell in love with the AR minute I shot it and here I am on this forum!

Before shooting I would go to the range with a friend who had a Glock and always wanted me to shoot it but my nerves were so shot just from the noise other guys were making in the indoor range, so for a long time I was turned off. I finally sucked it up and doubled up the hearing protection, foamies and ears and now the noise is nothing to me with the molds I wear, takes a lot to rattle my nerves now so I got over that. Most people I know say the noise of guns is what makes them more nervous to shoot than the actual gun. All Mental really. First time I ever shot a rifle I was 11 and it was an outdoor range, I think that helped to be outdoors as well. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#15]

If you do end up with a .22 I say get a Walther , or Sig in that they are like using a combat gun in their functions - the training will cross over. I really love my Ruger , but it's definately a target pistol and the action and grip angle aren't similar to anything she may end up with for defense - the 22/45 models do solve the grip anfle issue though.

ya, thats kind of what I was thinking too.  I think she will get more of a kick out of it if the boys are jealous of her.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Get her a decent hand gun.  I really enjoy the Beretta Px4 Storm, for example.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
The first thing I ever shot was probably a 20 gauge or a .22 rifle when I was small..I really don't remember.

As an adult, I tried shooting handguns and didn't enjoy it that much as a hobby..they're for defensive purposes only, in my book. I'd a zillion times rather shoot rifles, which rock.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#18]
the GSG rocks .... I love it ... although the girlfriend thinks its heavy ..... she herself has a youth model Rossi Matched pair in 22lr and 410 .... its small light weight and synthetic for which she has added some rheinstone skull and crossbones on it
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#19]
.22 pistol or 4" K-frame .38 (use wadcutters)
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Just for Vanessa!

My favorite pistols, Kimber Dessert Warrior, and H&K USP .45

My FN Hi-Power 9mm and Russian Makarov.

All four are great to let people try out.  Some like the fantastic plastic, some like all American steel, its her choice.  If its fun she will like it regardless.  Just NO MAGNUMS!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, well, what can I say. I'm an M1 kind of girl but if someone forced me to shoot a .22 for eternity, I'd probably break it over their head. They're fun for plinking and good to get the fundamentals, but just aren't that much fun. No loud noise, nothing much exploding. What's the point? You could just get a bag of beans and toss them at the cat or something.

It really is up to her if she wants to shoot as a hobby or not..let her decide what, if any, gun she wants.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#22]

It really is up to her if she wants to shoot as a hobby or not..let her decide what, if any, gun she wants.

I've already made the decision for her, I just need help convincing her. j/k

BTW My girlfriend is not allowed to own a Kimber until I do. (very serious face)
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#23]
The Walther P22 is what I recommend.  So much fun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Krinkov

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife's favorite gun is a Ruger Mk I Bull Barrel. I gave it to her before we were married. It doesn't hurt her hand to shoot it. The only thing is, I usually clean it for her as she isn't so hot mechnically and you need to be adept to field strip and reassemble a Ruger Mk I or Mk II...

She also thinks my convertible 22LR/22MAG Single Six is "cute". But she still prefers the Ruger Mk I. So, if you only wnt to buy one, I'd get the Mk II...

ETA: Corrected spelling error...
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I've already made the decision for her, I just need help convincing her. j/k

BTW My girlfriend is not allowed to own a Kimber until I do. (very serious face)

Don't you know that Kimbers are VERY seriously romantic guns on AR15.com??.

ETA
Since I'm not the kind of guy that brags about owning Page 2, I won't mention it...

Something else you may consider: A lever-action carbine in a serious caliber, say, .357 or .44 Mag. Easy to handle, easy for a small-framed person to maniuplate, and it is a contender in a SD situation.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Just for Vanessa!
i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/guitarguy774/100_0087.jpg
i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/guitarguy774/100_0092.jpg

All four are great to let people try out.  Some like the fantastic plastic, some like all American steel, its her choice.  If its fun she will like it regardless.  Just NO MAGNUMS!

yea I am getting a Kimber Dessert Warrior, minute I leave NYC! Since can't get em here....
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Well my first weapon was an 1847 Walker but I guess many are not that interested in historical firearms. My next weapon was a 1911. Of course I then developed an affection for Colt's snake line and then Desert Eagles. So today I'm still caught in the revolver phase of this hobby. A friend is trying very hard to get me into shotguns so I can shot with him at the range.

So it really boils down to what tickles her fancy. Some like the small revolvers and some like myself like 44's and 357's.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#29]
You could get a Glock 19 with an Advantage Arms .22 kit, then she can step up to 9mm later for something more powerful.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#30]
SBR ar15 with a ceiner kit.  This is what all the girls I know love to shoot the most.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You could get a Glock 19 with an Advantage Arms .22 kit, then she can step up to 9mm later for something more powerful.  

thats a very good idea.  

I asked her what she wants, and she said,"whatever".  She really doesn't care or know what she wants.  I'm still leaning towards the GSG-5.  Someone said that his girlfriend thinks its a little heavy but anyone else have anything to add to my possible future purchase of a GSG-5?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#32]
My boyfriend bought me a 10/22 and it is fun to shoot. I might be a wuss but I find some of the others a little "too much" to shoot for a longer period of time. Don't get me wrong I LOVE SHOOTING THE AR. However, I find the 10/22 just plain fun and cheap to shoot.
I shot his shotgun once (slugs) and that was enough for me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#33]
LOL

PM me.  I'll show you a pic of the ultimate gun.   It's my latest purchase. She'd love one, guaranteed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just for Vanessa!
i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/guitarguy774/100_0087.jpg
i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/guitarguy774/100_0092.jpg

yea I am getting a Kimber Dessert Warrior, minute I leave NYC! Since can't get em here....

Those....those...those...COMMUNISTS!  GET OUT NOW, I'LL DRIVE!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yeah, well, what can I say. I'm an M1 kind of girl but if someone forced me to shoot a .22 for eternity, I'd probably break it over their head. They're fun for plinking and good to get the fundamentals, but just aren't that much fun. No loud noise, nothing much exploding. What's the point? You could just get a bag of beans and toss them at the cat or something.

Ditto and Ditto on alot of Vanessa's comments.
I personally dislike indoor ranges and find them oddly "confining."
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:57:15 AM EDT
[#36]
My first pistol was a Taurus PT-92 (9mm).  It's heavy enough that the recoil doesn't bother me, and a long enough sight base that I am accurate, thus improving my confidence with said firearm.  The price was right, around $200 less than the comparable Beretta 92.  

Oh, and another one of my favorite parts... it's shiny

I also did a lot of research on Taurus because I heard a lot of bad stuff about them, but apparently it's from their revolvers.  After I read about them (for about two solid weeks) I decided that for my money, Taurus was more practical than Beretta for my fun-gun.

As always, YMMV.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

+1 million... i hate .22LR

22LR is what most guys EXPECT women to be shooting because it is a little pussy round... i lost count of how many times some jackass has made comments to my fiancee along the lines of "trade that ____ in for a 22"

my fiancee's first time out with me, she shot my AR, FAL, and Benelli. I brought a Walther P22, but she watched me shoot it and laughed at me... She's shot pretty much everything I own... EXCEPT for .22LR... she hates it because there isn't a loud BANG... there is no RECOIL... it's like your not even shooting... buy her a NERF gun if that's what you want...

a 22 is okay for "fundamentals" i suppose, but in reality all it does is a build a false sense of confidence in your abilities once you step up to a larger caliber that actually has recoil... i shot 22LR from the time i was in cub scouts, and the fundamentals it taught me could have been easily learned from dry fire exercises...

a 22 for a first time shooter is BORING... as i said i shot 22LR for years and years... it wasn't until i shot an M1 Garand that i actually got excited with shooting rifles...
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My first pistol was a Taurus PT-92 (9mm).  It's heavy enough that the recoil doesn't bother me, and a long enough sight base that I am accurate, thus improving my confidence with said firearm.  The price was right, around $200 less than the comparable Beretta 92.  

Oh, and another one of my favorite parts... it's shiny

www.riverviewsales.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/H_92SS-lg.jpg

I also did a lot of research on Taurus because I heard a lot of bad stuff about them, but apparently it's from their revolvers.  After I read about them (for about two solid weeks) I decided that for my money, Taurus was more practical than Beretta for my fun-gun.

As always, YMMV.  

Very nice. I like the 2 tone finish.
I guess I am a girl in that regard...I like purty guns.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#39]
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/ARsR4ME/netsar030.jpg

This is something that she could take the to the range and get lots of attention with and that would in turn make her feel really good.  I have gained alot of attention carrying this!!!!!  Not to mention how awesome AR's are to shoot!!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I didn't even know that until someone I know who works in a shop said Kimbers have stickers that say not for Sale in NY or Maryland. Really not sure about the law totally since who knows if there are Kimbers that are made legal for NY, I don't really follow them since I want to move this year, not even worth it to be pissed off anymore.

My roommate owns 3 Kimbers and told her about this the other night (her guns are still in Florida where we are both from) and she looked at me and said WTF?! NY has f'd up laws and I am now going to bed now with nightmares, thanks and closed the door.

lol
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#41]

I turned my wife over to the dark side with lots of AR15 mag dumps, gallon jugs of water and an AR with the adjustable stock.  
The adjustable stock helps a lot to fit her big boobs.  None of my other rifles fit her.

She likes orange clay targets, metal gongs, any target that explodes, makes noise or both.  A fun, visible way to she that she's hitting something.  No pressure, just lots of fun.

Much easier to get her to go with me now.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#42]
my g/f got hooked after a plinking spree involving a hipoint 9mm carbine.

Never looked back from there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't even know that until someone I know who works in a shop said Kimbers have stickers that say not for Sale in NY or Maryland. Really not sure about the law totally since who knows if there are Kimbers that are made legal for NY, I don't really follow them since I want to move this year, not even worth it to be pissed off anymore.

My roommate owns 3 Kimbers and told her about this the other night (her guns are still in Florida where we are both from) and she looked at me and said WTF?! NY has f'd up laws and I am now going to bed now with nightmares, thanks and closed the door.

lol

Do they have that crappy ballistic fingerprinting rules there?  I do remember that big pink sticker on the front of my case but since it had a state I didn't live in on there....I ignored it lol.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

This would be my suggestion also.  
Not the cheapest route to go, but it makes the most sense.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Whatever you buy her or she buys herself when you go shooting dont just shoot paper, make it fun, get some reactive targets.  A box a clays is cheap, a bag of balloons is cheap, some steel so she can hear the ring of when they are hit.  The balloons and clays make a little bit of a mess but if the RO doesnt mind a little clean up afterwards is usually all it takes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Do they have that crappy ballistic fingerprinting rules there?  I do remember that big pink sticker on the front of my case but since it had a state I didn't live in on there....I ignored it lol.

Ya, the 'ballistic fingerprint' of a spent casing. No Kimber for me even though their office is in NYC (well Yonkers).... go figure.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Whatever you buy her or she buys herself when you go shooting dont just shoot paper, make it fun, get some reactive targets.  A box a clays is cheap, a bag of balloons is cheap, some steel so she can hear the ring of when they are hit.  The balloons and clays make a little bit of a mess but if the RO doesnt mind a little clean up afterwards is usually all it takes.

helpful thoughts, makes good sense.  thanks
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

helpful thoughts, makes good sense.  thanks

Key thing is make it fun, not a competition, just a helpful introduction with some pointers from you. The more guns she has available to try the better, she'll know what she likes. And definately only shoot outside the first (many) times, indoors the "bone conduction" of sound is a factor too. Found that out shooting my fal prone next to a cement wall, wondering Gee why do I have a headache after w/plugs & muffs?
Yes the .22 isn't that exciting but for fundamentals nothings cheaper or easier, its not a wussy round either, well used I've seen it drop a cow in its tracks, 1 shot blah blah.

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Agree completely. I think you're "jumping the gun" if you'll pardon the phrase. I wouldn't start spending money until I have an idea what she wants and will use. Rent and borrow until she can articulate a desire for something specific.

What a small person has to CC and what they enjoy shooting can be two very different size guns.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I was leaning towards getting her an AR after seeing the pink tiger-stripped pic above.  And then I came across a sweet deal on a lower and just had to take it.  And then, today she says that she thinks she wants a revolver??????  I had contemplated getting a magnum for a while and think she could enjoy shooting .38 specials but damnit I just bought this thing.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top