Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2001 10:46:27 AM EDT
I have been trying to get a gov job (computer) for a heck of a long time with NO luck at all.  What the hell is the deal, do they only hire minorities or women for these jobs?  I remember a line from Platoon where a black gus says he has to paint himself white to get a job-now it seemes like just the opposite.  This is not against minorites or womenz, just seeme like gov employers cater to them only.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Most gov't agencies are still on a hiring freeze.

I think IRS or DOJ is one of few that does not have a hiring freeze.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I know there are several open positions that are in local/state/county gov that I apply for but always get the " you are highly qualified but sorry, you are not ethnic enough" letter.  kinda disappointing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a state employee in WI.(Dept. of Corrections)There is a hiring freeze because of the screwed up state budget. Try contacting Dept. of Work force development or employee relations. The state puts out a monthly job listing bulletin for employees ,but I know the public has access to it threw one of the mentioned agencies. Information Systems is one of the jobs that is always on the bulletin every month!!     [0j]  
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#6]
You work in computers. Plus want to work for the Government?  
Government does not keep up with tech, they are always behind in stuff,.
Be glad you dont get a job with them
c-rock
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
c-rock
View Quote

Not true.  We just got a 5 million dollar (one time only) increase in our fiscal year budget for IT purchases.  That will probably be enough for a E10K.  (Big Sun server.)   By this time next year we will have fiber to the desktop and capability of 1000fx to each workstation.

I love my govt job.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
A PULSE!  then again for some gov job's even that's not required[:(]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The places I have been seem to have a mix of technology either from some of the newest to shit dating in the univac era, but I am more looking for the experience of working with people who know this stuff and the benifits-right now i am the only computer geek here, and there is nowhere to go in both promotion and for help if I need it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I work for the FAA.  They do go by affirmative action, but they are extremely vet freindly.  I think the pay is excellent for my education level, well above private industry (I'm an electronics tech).  When I got on in '98, there were three other white males who got on also.  I think my jaw hit the floor when I saw them.  Keep trying dude.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Think hard...you must be SOME kind of minority.  Got six toes on one foot?  Grandaddy was a numismatist?  Have an aversion to putting butter on your head?  Shouldn't take much....
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Aren't you part eskimo?  

Norm
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi!

There must be some decent private-sector job out there for your skill-set - the economy ain't that bad.

No disrespect to others on the list, but please oh please don't contribute to our problem of an already-too-fat overbearing gov't by joining it.  Plus you'll stagnate a bit, and after you tire some and wanna move on you might have a problem. Many co's don't like to hire ex-gov't employees because of perceived (sometimes incorrectly) lack of modern tech skills, possible sue-happiness & excessive disability claims (Fed/State employees file all sorts of disability claims at rates far, far higher than those in private sector - despite cushy OSHA-approved work environments, etc.). Often, there is also a perceived lack of entrepreneurial flair in such folks.   And while these are probably not always true and are generalizations, I do like to think that "generalizations are generally true." ;-)

The above doesn't apply if a person brings some 'juice' to get sales in the door due to his prior relationship(s), or is deeply familiar with obscure rules/laws/standards necessary to conduct a certain type of business (i.e., where marketplace is distorted by shifting toward product conformance instead of true merit).

And, if we're ever going to make much of gov't irrelevant, the best way of doing that is to let the mediorcre folks take the govt jobs 'til it becomes ineffectual - eventually it'll die under its own weight.

I pay some $48K+/yr in combined taxes. I'd like to find the name of the gov't dude I'm "funding" - just about ready to plug the S.O.B. that's draining it from me.   ;-)

Someone please come out and shoot me - double-taps, please - if I ever take a gov't job.  It means *I've* done something wrong.

-Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
An IQ of no more that 0.01

No not really, just a joke[8D]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]If at first you don't succeed
A civil service job you need![/b]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have been trying to get a gov job (computer) for a heck of a long time with NO luck at all.  What the hell is the deal, do they only hire minorities or women for these jobs?  I remember a line from Platoon where a black gus says he has to paint himself white to get a job-now it seemes like just the opposite.  This is not against minorites or womenz, just seeme like gov employers cater to them only.
View Quote

Sell your soul.

I had one; they suck.  Get a real job.  It is easier if you are a veteran.  Are you?  If so you should know better and not want anything to do with the government, if not, why not?  Maybe if you earned the right to get a government job it would be easier to get.  Quit blaming the man for keeping you down and get a real job.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#18]
You gotta be in the right place at the right time.  I work at a military base here in Utah and they are hiring big time.  They expect to hire between 2000-2500 people in the next 4 years.  The average age of the workers at this base is 49 so they are top heavy age wise.  They expect mass retirements in this top heavy age bracket to start in the next 5-10 years.  There are many good computer jobs on this base due to the fact that DISA has a megacenter here.  I retired from the Air Force and worked as a defense contractor for two years before I decided to jump ship to "silly" service.  The contractor pay was great and I developed the connections needed to get me a good paying civil service job.  I would have stayed a contractor but the job stability is not as good as gov service.  Gov computer workers here receive anywhere from $6-10K a year in extra "incentive" pay due to the fact that they can and do make more in the private sector.  Besides that, Utah is very gun friendly and has lots of cool shit to see and do.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Try this web page the have all the job openings for gov jobs right now

http://search.usajobs.opm.gov/wfjic/cgi-bin/wwcgi.dll?WFJIC~WFJICSearch~TL
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Affirmative action is the one topic that gets my blood boiling as much as gun control.

Racism in any for is indefensible

It is wrong and needs to be stopped NOW!

why do we all sit back and let it continue?
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If this impresses you, you need to get out some.  [:)]

Then again, I work at a Fortune 50 company, but still.  We've been enjoying our E10Ks for, what, two years?  We just got two more in for our Arlington data center.  Muhahahaha!

-Troy
View Quote

Hey, we are only 100 people.  I think thats pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
c-rock
View Quote

Not true.  We just got a 5 million dollar (one time only) increase in our fiscal year budget for IT purchases.  That will probably be enough for a E10K.  (Big Sun server.)   By this time next year we will have fiber to the desktop and capability of 1000fx to each workstation.

I love my govt job.  
View Quote

Looser.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Three requirements to get a Gov job

1. I.Q. below 50

2. Must be Lazy and Slow

3. Must have recieved welfare in the past.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top