Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2001 12:54:33 PM EDT
i am going back to look at an ar at a pawn shop and need tp know what date did the bush ban start.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You mean the '89 one?
View Quote
yes when in 89. I am going to look at a ar with bayonet lug so i need to know the date so i can look up the ser#
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The Bush ban was in '89. It was a Presidential Directive that restricted importation of non-sporting firearms. The '94 ban prevented the manufacture of any new "Assault Weapons". Technically if the rifle/reciever was manufactured prior to '94 it had to already be assembled as  an "Assault Rifle" to meet the criteria for being classified as a "Pre-Ban". You can not assemble new AW's by adding any of the "Evil" features such as Bayo lug, Flash Hider, Pistol Grips at one time, ect... even if the rifle was manufactured prior to the '94 date without violating the '94 law (technically). There are very ambiguous areas for interpretation by the BATF and 922(R) complicates it even more with parts counts.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Edited because Troy provided source for SN# for Pre-Bans.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
i thought in 89 they stop puting bayonet lugs on them but still could put flash hiders and folding stocks. This ar am looking at has a bayonet lug and flash hider. I know the colt ar's after 89 stopped with the lugs but still had flash hiders right?
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Whew, by the topic I thought they were going ban bush now. I need bush (not the president, the furry pet my wife lets me feed now and then).
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
[b]AK Fan[/b], bottom line here:

The 1989 ban only applies to IMPORTED "assault"-type weapons.  The AK-47 was affected, as it's imported.  The AR-15 wasn't affected because it isn't imported.  No worries with the Bush ban for you!  [:D]

If it's missing the bayo lug but still has a collapsable stock or flash hider, it's still a preban.  Around the time Bush passed his ban, Colt got worried and "sporterized" their rifles by removing the bayo lug.  It means nothing; you can go ahead and stick on an upper with a bayo lug if you so desire.

The 1994 ban is what you need to watch.  Does that AR-15 have a collapsable stock, flash suppressor, or bayonet lug?  If so, it had to be a [i]complete rifle[/i] [u]before[/u] September 13, 1994.  If it was made after that date or wasn't a complete rifle before that date you can't have the collaosable stock, bayo lug, or flash suppressor.

My advice is to view the above serial number list AND call the manufacturer to confirm the pre/post ban status.

Good luck!

Mike
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks i looked it up it was SA 96 17** that means it was made in 1996 so its illegal ar they were trying to get $1000 for
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#11]
My friend told me the day the bush ban began is the day after he was married.
GG
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top