Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2007 10:21:29 AM EDT
My work takes me there next week.  I'm staying in the vicinity of El Segundo and Crenshaw.  Do I need to avoid wearing certain colors or need to wear SBA??

thanks

Baz-tard
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You are a traveling member of the "Azlatans against Americans"- just keep that in mind.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]
orale
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#3]
thats why the rental car co. asked me if i wanted hydrolics and a leopard print interior.

Baz
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know why or exactly where you are going/staying/working but I wouldn't stay in that area if I had a choice.  Why are you staying in that particular neighborhood?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a consultant and have a 2 week project for the school district.  going to call my office and have them change my hotel reservations to somewhere more suitable!

Baz
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Its in Cali, all you ned to know. It blows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#8]
blows like? stupid, drunk lil cali hotties or like some MS13'er poppin me for $27.33 in my wallet?  

Baz
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#9]
It's where the worlds greatest rock and roll band, the BEACH BOYS were from.

It is some of the most sacred ground in America.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#10]
sweet! i can hum lil old lady from pasadena as i'm gettin shanked.

baz
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I did quite a bit of work at Northrop Grumman (back when it was known as the Military Acft Systems Division) which was on the other side of the 405 from where you're going.

Good luck there, buddy. Seriously, not a great good area, and armor is a prerequisite.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
blows like? stupid, drunk lil cali hotties or more like some MS13'er poppin me for $27 .33 in my wallet?  

Baz

Fixed it
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Find a Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. Enjoy.

Good Eatin'

If you've got a hankering for a good corned beef and pastrami sandwich (open 24 hours), go to Canter's Deli.  Get the Fresser.

The good old days

For good and fast Hawaiian food, you can't beat King's Hawaiian.  Make sure to get dessert.

Mmm, Hawaiian pie....
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Hawthorne, NV is way better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a consultant and have a 2 week project for the school district.  going to call my office and have them change my hotel reservations to somewhere more suitable!

Baz

Try to stay west of the 405 freeway, in El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, or around LAX. I did a six months project in El Segundo, sometimes working all hours of the day, and I never felt unsafe in that area. Lots of good places to eat around there too.

thanks for the advice, i'll keep that in mind when picking a hotel.

Baz
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Here is a picture I took maybe a couple miles at most from there.  The area is a shithole.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ignorance speaks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Says the guy who probably never went there cause he might catch teh ghey.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
My work takes me there next week.  I'm staying in the vicinity of El Segundo and Crenshaw.  Do I need to avoid wearing certain colors or need to wear SBA??

thanks

Baz-tard

I work two blocks away from that intersection; lots of Sec. 8 housing. Like others have recommended, I'd look for a hotel in El Segundo or Manhattan Beach. Only 10-15 minutes away, but a much nicer, and safer area.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Here is a picture I took maybe a couple miles at most from there.  The area is a shithole.

img51.imageshack.us/img51/6440/mvc001s9pt.jpg

img51.imageshack.us/img51/6528/mvc008s1pt.jpg

dude, I installed those signals there

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I usually stay at the Hilton Garden just south of the airport when I visit that god forsaken area. I have never had any problems and just a short drive from the beach cities..
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I lived there VERY briefly just after high school. Generally speaking, Hawthorne sucked then as it probably sucks now. The ONLY redeeming quality it had back in '84 was Union Surplus store On Hawthorne Blvd just down from the mal. The place was a firepower lover's dream come true. HKs, Thompsons, AKs of all kinds, M1 Garands, Carbines, M1As, 1903 Springfields, AR15s, etc as well as any kind of handgun you could want...you name it, they had it. Toward the back of the store was the actual "surplus" part, where you could get just about anything you could think of...tents, BDUs, TA-50, etc etc. IF that place is still in operation, I bet all they have now is the damned clothing section.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#24]
During the daytime, you should have no problems - After dusk, avoid the local side streets and residential areas.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

so what your sayin is, i'm gonna die?????
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#26]
You'll notice the heavy duty doom and gloomers and fear mongerers are not from CA.  I happen to be going to a Model Railroad club open house there this Sunday.  And I feel no need to wear armor or carry.

That said, El Segundo and Manhattan Beach are much nicer areas.  And getting off the main streets after dark is not overly advisable.  It isn't a middle class area anymore, it has a lot of industry.  As long as you are reasonably smart about things you shouldn't have any problems.  You're not that far from some fairly nice areas for recreation
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:

so what your sayin is, i'm gonna die?????

I'm sayin' that it's been going on 16 yrs since I moved away from SoCal.  I still go back because I have a kid and a parent there.  But when I was living there, Hawthorne was not exactly the garden spot of the Southland (it is also nowhere near the worst around there, either).  If you're just going into a workplace, I don't think you need to worry about Jose or Leroy bustin' a cap in yo' ass.  If you're staying near/at El Segundo and Crenshaw, it is not the kind of neighborhood you want to be out walking to the nearest Del Taco or Mickey-D's at night.  And even in the day, I would keep your situational awareness at a lot higher setting than you would in a comfy place like, let's say, The Woodlands, TX.  

In fact, the worst areas of Houston have nothing on that area of SoCal.  In fact, the worst areas of Houston are Crenshaw's Bee-yotch.

But, hey... enjoy.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I was just looking a Google Maps refreshing my memory about what's located at the intersection of Crenshaw and El Segundo Boulevards.  

Bro, you will be DEEP into "enemy territory".  It's not really Hawthorne it's Lennox.  It is only 2 major streets west and four major streets south of the infamous Florence and Normandie.  I sure there are a lot of good people who live there but I pity anyone of them who does.  

Remember Reginald Denny?

DO NOT stay at a hotel in that vicinity.  Personally, I'd go out of pocket to avoid staying there.  Think about staying at the Radisson Plaza, instead, or one of the majors near the LAX airpport.  There are so many places to stay in El Segundo and Manhattan Beach.  They are just south of the airport and in the morning you can drive a few miles east on El Segundo Blvd or the 105 Freeway to get where you're going.  

If you need help finding a nice one or, at the very least, a safe one, we can help.  Do some research, pick a few places and a few questions.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#29]
well, i'm here.  it's not as bad as expected.  i'm actually in lawndale off of hawthorne blvd.  took a drive over to manhatten bch.....too bad kali is a communist state..the weather is sweet!  now on to freaky chicks!!

anybody got any good places to hang out and mingle with some local (f) wildlife??

Baz-tard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top