Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/8/2003 1:13:05 PM EDT
a few days ago these damn ads just started poping up on my computer and there is no way to get rid of them. it comes up in a small window that says "Messenger Service" and stays on top of all other running programs. even when i am not online it sometimes just comes up out of nowhere. all the ads have this website listed on them [url]www.geocities.com/reachtheglobe/[/url] but the site is just a download page for the program that somehow planted this fucking thing on my computer in the first place. i obviousely dont want to give this damn thing to anyone else. and it is annoying the hell out of me. i didn't ask for this fucking thing, and i want it gone now!!!!!!!!! BTW i am running zonealarm and aparently the makers of this fucking program know how to bypass it. it runs out of an .exe file in my sys32 folder and i cannot delete the file, cause its a "critical system file" I THOUGHT THE FEDS OUTLAWED THIS KIND OF CRAP!!!@!!!@#$@!%#$@^%&*#%^$
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:31:25 PM EDT
The spammer is exploiting a "feature" found in Windows 2000/XP that was designed for System Administrators on a network to be able to send messages to large groups of users. Turning it off is relatively simple. 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then click Control Panel). 2. Double-click Administrative Tools. 3. Double-click Services. 4. Double-click Messenger. 5. In the Startup type list, click Disabled. 6. Click Stop, and then click OK. That should solve your problem.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:44:52 PM EDT
Thanks! I had this problem too!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:50:30 PM EDT
Thank you very much!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:03:40 PM EDT
Glad I could help.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:12:58 PM EDT
oh thankyouthankyouthankyou..... that thing was really beginning to bug me. still, didn't the fed recently outlaw unrequested spam without a clear way of stopping it??
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:15:10 PM EDT
oh thankyouthankyouthankyou..... that thing was really beginning to bug me. still, didn't the fed recently outlaw unrequested spam without a clear way of stopping it??
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:17:49 PM EDT
Nimrod, THANK YOU!!!!! I've had this same problem I have windows XP and cant get things removed from my favorites once they have been put in there. Right clicking on them as with windows 98 also does not help. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:20:22 PM EDT
Unfortunately, the undelying protocols of the internet harken back to the days of ARPANET, when the system was used to connect the computer systems of various research facilities. This means that there are no reliable ways to trace the true source of e-mails or messages, since the system was designed to be used by parties that trusted each other.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:23:59 PM EDT
Glad to be rid of them damned things.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:26:34 PM EDT
You might want to consider an alternate means of blocking the broadcast "net send" messages as you may also block some legitimate messages by shutting down the messenger service. See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 330904. "The Messenger service can also be used by Windows and other software programs. For example, Windows may use it to inform you when a print job is completed or when you lose power to your computer and switch to a uninterruptible power supply (UPS). Your antivirus program may use the Messenger service to send you notifications." [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:29:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By chaos4570: Nimrod, THANK YOU!!!!! I've had this same problem I have windows XP and cant get things removed from my favorites once they have been put in there. Right clicking on them as with windows 98 also does not help. Any suggestions?
View Quote
open the favorites forder located at C:/documents and settings/owner from there you can pretty much do what you want..
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:09:18 PM EDT
Top Top