Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 7:34:58 PM EDT
moving to the tri state area in a few months -I have not picked any certain state to move too-- wanting too know what state is more gun friendly--IN Arizona we got it pretty good -thanx for any info
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
wv is good to go on everything. except ranges to shoot at
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Pa = shall issue.

Pa= full auto friendly

Pa = nice, as long as you stay out of Phila and Pittsburg.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up in WV and have to stick to my roots,  you don't need ranges you have backyards with no neighbors for miles if you do it right !!!

WV -Shall Issue
WV Full Auto Friendly

Only drawback to WV, taxes are a bitch !!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It really depends on where your work is.  Keep in mind that SNOW is a regular occurance during the winter.

When you say the "tri-state"  where are you looking?

Youngstown?
Steubenville?
Wheeling?
Little Washington?
East Liverpool/Chester/Newell?

If working in Pittsburg, a decent place is Weirton (home for me). Drive time to downtown (aka the river side of the Fort Pitt tubes) is around 40 mins if you do the speed limit and Greentree hill is not backed the F up.

DO take a look at your road routes.  

They can be deciving on the map, you need to drive them and get a feel for them.

Oh and the deer are solid.  Seen more than one semi taken out of action due to a crushed radiator on US 22 in Penn. Yes the highway goes through a state game land.

Got questions? Feel free to ask.

I still have family in Weirton.  

Buzz.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#5]
WV is good, taxes are killer, and you will find a place to shoot, just not a state range. You will have to pay to shoot, or have your own land.

StagPower
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I think any is a good choice, do you know where you're planning on working at?

Taxes in Ohio aren't bad at all, and I know if you're willing to look in the zanesville area, you can get land for $1000 an acre :) and a 1hr commute to Columbus & Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
PA
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless you have worked lined up already dont go.

The economy in Pa, and Ohio are crap.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yeah, it all depends on your line of work.  Ohio has some pretty decent bargains for those of us still employed.

Gun laws are fairly friendly in most areas.  Columbus has some really useless gun laws but the rest of the state is more sensible.  Basically, if you want a gun you must have the money to pay for it.  If you want to carry concealed, you have to take a brief course and apply to your county's Sheriff.  There is a law on the books forbidding magazines holding over thirty rounds.  

We're going to have a pretty good pro football team up north this year, too.

J.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:41:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd add Kentucky to your list.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
KY is cool.  

I live in PA so I'll say PA.  There's lots to do and depending on what you do for a living or want to do will dictate job availability.  

Oh, and Pittsburgh is OK but obviously like most cities taxes are higher and there is a lot of traffic.  Look at the surrounding counties or better yet find a job and move to that area.

WV I can't say much about.  Ohio is OK in some areas and worse in others (taxes, crime, etc.).  Youngstown is supposedly pretty crappy but the burbs might be OK.  Certain parts of Cleveland area are very nice but the closer you get to the city you pay more and of course like all cities there's the high crime area.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it all depends on your line of work.  Ohio has some pretty decent bargains for those of us still employed.

Gun laws are fairly friendly in most areas.  Columbus has some really useless gun laws but the rest of the state is more sensible.  Basically, if you want a gun you must have the money to pay for it.  If you want to carry concealed, you have to take a brief course and apply to your county's Sheriff.  There is a law on the books forbidding magazines holding over thirty rounds.  

We're going to have a pretty good pro football team up north this year, too.

J.

Ohio passed a preemption bill last year, so all those Columbus laws were killed by the state legislature.

About the only thing you'll run into in Ohio is some sheriffs won't sign off on NFA paperwork.  Mostly around big cities, though.  If you are along the Ohio River border, chances are that won't be a problem.  Ask around before you move, if that's a concern.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#13]
PA has without a doubt the fewest restrictions on where you may CCW. The ONLY restriction is you cannot carry in a courthouse, or where federal law prohibits it. Otherwise, you are GTG.

The only gun law downside in PA is that all handguns must transfer through a dealer unless transferring between parents and children.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Pa = shall issue.

Pa= full auto friendly

Pa = nice, as long as you stay out of Phila and Pittsburg.

And Pennsyltucky.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#15]
my Dad lives in newell-He is not against guns just never got into them like me-I was born IN east liverpool But have been in Arizona for over 25 years AS for work Im currently looking before I move back for sure -most of my family lives In the area-But like I said are not into firearms like me -thanks  for All your info
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Ohio is about as friendly as it gets.

Open Carry
Shall Issue CCW (mine took 5 days)
All NFA is good to go (home to Bulletfest!)
Preemption law - no local gun laws to worry about
Castle Doctrine (starting in September)
No waiting periods
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ohio is about as friendly as it gets.

Open Carry
Shall Issue CCW (mine took 5 days)
All NFA is good to go (home to Bulletfest!)
Preemption law - no local gun laws to worry about
Castle Doctrine (starting in September)
No waiting periods

Do you need a CHL to carry in a car?

According to Opencarry.org:

Only 18+ allowed to open carry.

No concealed in restaurants or restaurants.

Looks pretty good otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Do you need a CHL to carry in a car?

According to Opencarry.org:

Only 18+ allowed to open carry.

No concealed in restaurants or restaurants.

Looks pretty good otherwise.

You need your CCW to carry a loaded pistol in the car.

I don't know about the 18+ thing on open carry, but...fine. It should be moot for the OP.

You can carry concealed in restaurants, as long as they don't serve alcohol for consumption on the premises.. The issue with restaurants comes as an unfortunate side effect of the legislatures desire to keep people from carrying in bars. They worded it a bit too broadly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow. A lot of hometown guys.

I am from Toronto (10 miles north of Weirton, 20 or so miles South of East Liverpool and Newell). Everybody I am related to worked as a steel worker back to the Civil War. Obviously, when I got out of high school all those jobs were gone and I was forced to move to Las Vegas in the mid 80s.

You have to be more specific where you are looking.
Based on my experience, I would pick West Virginia. They seem to be a lot more progressive both in gun rights and everything else. Just as an example, my buddy in Folansbee had a cable modem at least 10 years ago. My mom just got DSL a couple years ago and still can't get a cable modem. Ohio is run by a bunch of lefties and what goes on in Ohio is primarily influenced by the heavy urban areas of Cleveland, Cincinati, Columbus, Dayton. West Virginia really doesn't have that problem.

All that being said, in that area, I don't think you are going to find a nicer town than Toronto. And I am not just saying that because I am from there. Every one of my friends from back there said that to me without me even bringing it up.

FWIW: I intend to retire right back to the family home just outside of Toronto in July 2012. Less than four years to go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Little Washington?

Thisa where I lives.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
wv is good to go on everything. except ranges to shoot at

must not make joke...must resist...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#22]
WV is very gun friendly. The Brady Center gave us a 6-100 so that means we are doing something right

I would move somewhere else personally. The economy and taxes suck here
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

QFT .

If you don't already have work lined up ,forget it .

REI put in a Warehouse a few minutes from here and announced
they'll be hiring 60 people starting at $9 /hour .

In a 1 week open house they had nearly 6 thousand apply ,and
this is a VERY small rural community .

Jobs are scarce here .Good one's even more so .

Very gun friendly ,but almost an entire generation has left much of PA .

Our small towns that were based on steel mills,coal,or factories are
ghost towns filled with the retired and those on welfare.

If your a certified welder there's plenty of jobs avilable cutting factory
machinery off concrete floors and loading them onto trains.
The Chinese are buying these closed factoreies up like crazy
and taking our old machinery back to China with them.

You have to see i to believe it .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top