Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 8:50:06 PM EDT
i was riding my 05 kawi zx6r doin about 45 on surface streets in downtown northridge when out of nowhere a big handicapped bus pulls out of a parking lot to turn left and didnt see cars coming so it stopped dead center blocking both lanes...i slammed on the brakes..bike skid...almost slid out from under me then wobbled barely making it around the front of the bus and ended up coming to a stop in oncomming traffic then they slammed on their brakes. needless to say i was trembling from almost slamming into this bus. i get off my bike and start walking towards the bus and when the lady saw me she put the pedal to the metal and took off. a bunch of people came running out of a restaurant to see if i was okay...she didnt even have the decency to see if i was okay. anyways i thought i was for sure done but i managed to get my foot down when i got the shakes and recovered it so i walked away with a little bit of a sore ankle, but more importantly im still alive. this has got me thinking if i should sell my bike. i realize that it was not rider error but i am still pretty shook up about it...any advice or thoughts would be appreciated
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
shoulda followed her.  Glad you were not hurt.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
thats why i quit riding for now, too many ppl on the roads in CA...
plus a good friend of mine was killed on his bike last august and my family would go apeshit if i got back on right away.

good to hear your ok.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If the same thing had happened to you with you driving a car, would you be considering selling the car?  Of Course not.

This is the same mentality that the anti's use against gun owners: "something bad happened, or might have hapened, so let's get rid of the inatimate object instead of fixing the problem"  
Your problem, if there can be said to be one, would be training.   That was my problem too.  Used to be that I was terrified wadding up the bike, and rode like a old woman.  Now, with Training and track-day practice, I am 1000% more confident, and overall a safer biker.  Start with a MSF course, and work up to track days, every dime you spend on training will return tenfold...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
there are other reasons...

i know 7 ppl that died in one year, i used to work at a bike shop and once a month i lost a customer... ill stick to cars... (at least out here)

plus being as large as i am its a lot harder to fit on a sport bike... being 6'7.5" tall... i dont even fit on a busa.

and after being in 2 bike accidents that wernt my fault(i was lucky enough to limp away from both)... when you ride in the bay area, you can talk about it... its a nightmare if your on a bike. seriously, no one out here pays attention.  

its also to appease my future wife. hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for a bike(if she doesnt like them)
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the same thing had happened to you with you driving a car, would you be considering selling the car?  Of Course not.

This is the same mentality that the anti's use against gun owners: "something bad happened, or might have hapened, so let's get rid of the inatimate object instead of fixing the problem"  
Your problem, if there can be said to be one, would be training.   That was my problem too.  Used to be that I was terrified wadding up the bike, and rode like a old woman.  Now, with Training and track-day practice, I am 1000% more confident, and overall a safer biker.  Start with a MSF course, and work up to track days, every dime you spend on training will return tenfold...

dude i think he can seperate his own personal safety from his firearms habit. there is a large difference between the two. the bottom line is that cars are much safer and he is concerned about his own safety. training is good for him but that doesnt guarantee that others won't drive like shit around him. sure, his reactions may be different or whatever but it still doesnt remove the fact that an accident in an automobile is alot safer than an accident on a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]
You should've gotten her plate number and tracked her down. But consider what you went through is understandable that you were upset about the whole thing. Glad you are alive and unhurt (other than the sore ankle).

You really shouldn't have to sell the bike; it wasn't your fault after all, but if you feel compelled to sell it, then I am with you, buddy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
there are other reasons...

i know 7 ppl that died in one year, i used to work at a bike shop and once a month i lost a customer... ill stick to cars... (at least out here)plus being as large as i am its a lot harder to fit on a sport bike... being 6'7.5" tall... i dont even fit on a busa.

and after being in 2 bike accidents that wernt my fault(i was lucky enough to limp away from both)... when you ride in the bay area, you can talk about it... its a nightmare if your on a bike. seriously, no one out here pays attention.  

its also to appease my future wife. hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for a bike(if she doesnt like them)

I know what you're saying. 18 years in a bike shop for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad your OK.  

A few years ago I was riding to work.  A car turned left in front of me at a light.  I locked up the rear brake and slid the rear tire to the left.  The bike suddenly straightened out and I continued to work.  I had that metallic (scared to death) taste in my mouth.  If you came close to a crash, you know the taste.    

When I got to work, I noticed a scuff mark on the left side of my rear tire.  I guess I hit the car with the tip of my back tire and that's what straightened me out.    

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope this is your only experience of this nature.  Most likely it won't be, but I hope it is..... You never get used to it....
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
any advice or thoughts would be appreciated

ok here goes:
First thing is vehicle seperation, I know that sometimes this hard to do around town so a person needs to learn to anticipate what the traffic is going to do. Watch drivers heads, you can get an idea of what they are doing before they do it. Know what the traffic is doing coming towards you as well as the traffic you are following. Be aware of all driveways and intersections that will affect your path of travel. Sometimes a vehicle will approach you street froma drive or side street and their view of you may be partilly obscured. They will believe the road is clear when infact they just looked right over your head.  Sometimes drivers will look rght through you and not notice you so watch their eyes, this will give you a clue as to what they see.  Lastly, you mentioned the skidding. This tells me you panic applied the rear brake. A motorcycle get 30% of its stopping power from the rear brake, and if you are skidding tha rear tire you are not stopping, you are slidding.  Try learing how to grab as much front brake as possible with out lopcking it up. This will get you slowed down much faster. You will have to practice this action a lot to make it come naturally if you are affraid of hitting the front brake. Eventually you can learn to add in some rear brake along with the front to decrease your stopping distance, but still be absolutely careful not to lock the brakes up into a skid.  
note: at 60 MsPH you need bout 120 ft to stop excluding reaction time (the distancce you travel in the time it takes you to realize there is problem and to grab the brake lever)  I realize you said you were in the 40-45 MsPH range which will reduce this number by apprx half.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
any advice or thoughts would be appreciated

ok here goes:
First thing is vehicle seperation, I know that sometimes this hard to do around town so a person needs to learn to anticipate what the traffic is going to do. Watch drivers heads, you can get an idea of what they are doing before they do it. Know what the traffic is doing coming towards you as well as the traffic you are following. Be aware of all driveways and intersections that will affect your path of travel. Sometimes a vehicle will approach you street froma drive or side street and their view of you may be partilly obscured. They will believe the road is clear when infact they just looked right over your head.  Sometimes drivers will look rght through you and not notice you so watch their eyes, this will give you a clue as to what they see.  Lastly, you mentioned the skidding. This tells me you panic applied the rear brake. A motorcycle get 30% of its stopping power from the rear brake, and if you are skidding tha rear tire you are not stopping, you are slidding.  Try learing how to grab as much front brake as possible with out lopcking it up. This will get you slowed down much faster. You will have to practice this action a lot to make it come naturally if you are affraid of hitting the front brake. Eventually you can learn to add in some rear brake along with the front to decrease your stopping distance, but still be absolutely careful not to lock the brakes up into a skid.  
note: at 60 MsPH you need bout 120 ft to stop excluding reaction time (the distancce you travel in the time it takes you to realize there is problem and to grab the brake lever)  I realize you said you were in the 40-45 MsPH range which will reduce this number by apprx half.

Very good advice. When I was in USMC , we had to take a one day bike course to be allowed to ride on base (Barstow, Cali). It was well worth it, it was taught by an ex-CHiP motor cop. We learned how to stop using jus the front brakes and then jus the back ones and then both applied together, etc. Id say take a class/course if you plan to ride more. I stopped riding cuz I got tired of the idiots around here. I would be 4-5 times a day that ppl would turn left in front of me. It was unreal. Not worth it IMO>
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Just remember everyone else is out there to kill you and you'll be fine.  Don't trust anybody.  Expect them to do the stupidest possible maneuver and any time.  I've logged many thousands of miles on bikes, had one as my only transportation for 8 years, and am still alive.  Sounds like you did good avoiding an accident.  Don't get rid of the bike, unless you don't like riding, and just keep being aware of your surroundings and working on and trusting in your skills.

Nice bike, btw.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I understand where you are coming from, and that thought crossed my mind at one point as well.

I went down in August and thought about it.  Mine was my own fault though, needed to stop fast and used too much back brake which caused the bike to skid/shake out of control.  I was going about 60 when I hit the brakes and went down shortly there after.   I came out realativly ok.  I had a broken wrist bone (scaphoid bone) and spent 10 weeks in a cast up to my shoulder.  Had some minor rash on my knees and right hip.  My right hip was also severly bruised and was purple for weeks (have a good pic of it somewhere)  It still bothers me a little when I run or ride my bicycle in the cold.  

The traffic here isn't anything like it is there though, I do 90% of my riding on highways.  

The bottom line for me is I like riding and I will continue to do so.  Yes, the risks are greater than a car, but there is risk involved in everything.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks for all the nice comments...i think i will end up keeping my bike...i was just really shook up with this...it was my first time actually almost crashing on a bike and hitting a car so i just need some time to relax and get over it
ETA: i would have gone after her but i went and sat on the curb instead i was really shaky
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I am a Veteran Road Warrior of the L.A. Freeway system.

I spent 6 years on Bikes because even working 3 part time jobs while in College the cost of a car + insurance was just too much.

I had my trips to the ER too.

Nothing like a cold hearted nurse cleaning out your road rash with a wire brush and alcohol.

Now here is the really scary part.  _  In L.A. I felt relatively safe on a bike.

Once I moved to COLORADO - ( where there are less riders - who also ride less... ) I cut back on bike trips dramatically. Because non-rider drivers are less aware of riders here. Its not enough to have to pretend your invisible and give way to idiots all the time...

So - after my ride was stolen . . .  I did not bother to replace it yet  - and its been almost 10 years now.

I still load up the motorhome and head out for some good off-road action, but I don't ride the streets anymore.

Maybe I'm just getting too old.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#17]
glad to hear your not hurt, most street bike accidents are seldom caused by the rider, I ride nearly every day and car drivers scare the hell outta me all the time, I had a girl pull within 18" of my rear tire this past week and ride my ass at 70mph, I pulled over onto the shoulder and let her pass before she wiped me out,

nearly every year theres bike riders killed in my area(I live next to a lake), do to car driver error, year before last 1/2 mile from my work 3 were killed and 1 had her leg broke when a car ass ended them while they were waiting to turn, knocked them into oncomming traffic,. this past summer one got bumped off the road when a car passed the one behind him, didn't kill him but tore him up pretty bad, a good friend of mine had a lady pull out in front of him several years back, he laid the bike down and ended up have to get skin grafts over 20% of his body to cover the road rash,

I laid one down in 89' that was totaly my fault, resulted in a bit of skin damage that took all summer and most of winter to heal, but it didn't stop me from riding, just until I got another bike,

so if you enjoy riding, then keep riding, just be extra dillegent when your around other riders and cars, and realize that the chances of getting hurt by somebody are pretty high the longer you ride.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#18]
After I bought a headlight modulator, I found that the # of people turning left in front of me, or pulling in front of me went WAY down. I won't own a bike with out one.

Even with it though, you still have to be alert. I had to ditch dive 2x in a 2 week period last year. 1 was a guy passing 2 trucks on a curve (I would have had to go off the road if I was in a car) the other was a guy passing a line of 10 cars, me and the lead car going the other way had to get off the road to let this idiot by. Again I would have had to get off the road if I was in a car.

Some one else already said to take or retake the MSF course. I signed up for a trackday/school next month. I know it will be money well spent.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Bill2k ... do you have ANY idea how unusual your "after action report" is ?  Most people get on the brakes too hard, slide, get off the brakes, then lock 'em up again and the bike slides out. Then, we hear about how they "laid it down".  Complete BS. You did great !  And you walked away. AND ... I'll bet you learned plenty.  Remember;  50% of car/bike accidents are the car turning left in front of the oncoming bike, and 50% of ALL bike accidents are NO fault of the rider.  You rode out of the threat.
Glad you're all right and that you'll continue to ride ... we need all the good riders we can get.
Stay safe
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
thanks for all the nice comments...i think i will end up keeping my bike...i was just really shook up with this...it was my first time actually almost crashing on a bike and hitting a car so i just need some time to relax and get over it
ETA: i would have gone after her but i went and sat on the curb instead i was really shaky

Ha, I know that feeling.  I was riding up to the lake last Labor Day weekend (never do that again) with a group of people. Had to leave early so split off by myself.  Took a left turn and some bitch in a pink Honda Civic decides to pass a guy towing a boat.  Comes into my lane straight at me.  I don't know how she could have missed my two bright headlights but she didn't pull back she just kept going.  I was able to scrape by about six inches from the dirt wall next to me.  I so wanted to turn around and beat some sense into her, but the holy shit I should be dead feeling just kept me going home as quickly as possible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It wont be the last. Been doing it since 1992. Still get people turning in front. The numbers did go down when I started riding in the day with the brights on.

Quoted:
but drivers here seem to think bikes can turn 90 degrees at 60 miles an hour then stop on a dime and give you change back.

But they can in the right hands. Turn 1 at ROad America is a 90 deg right hander that we take around 90mph.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#22]
i was talkin to my friends dad whos a highway patrolman and he was telling me how lucky i got and some of the nasty experiences that he has seen...he also told me that i would be suprised about the number of people driving around in southern cali with no license/ insurance. i might try that idea about riding around with my brights on maybe that will attract some more attention(my bike is kawi green so it should stick out pretty well already).
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i was talkin to my friends dad whos a highway patrolman and he was telling me how lucky i got and some of the nasty experiences that he has seen...he also told me that i would be suprised about the number of people driving around in southern cali with no license/ insurance. i might try that idea about riding around with my brights on maybe that will attract some more attention(my bike is kawi green so it should stick out pretty well already).

Don't trust your life/well being to someone tooling down the road with everything on their mind except you and and their driving
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]
the close calls I've had on my bike were also due to some POS who can't see.

glad you came out ok!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top