Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 7:21:52 PM EDT
Last weekend one of the quilt clubs in this area had a quilt show in which my wife entered two of her quilts. Both took prizes. One took 2nd prize for machine quilted, bedspread-size, and the other took a prize (can't remember which place) in the hand-quilted, wall-hanging size. I was surprised about the hand-quilted one because my wife has a long-arm and I didn't even know she was working on a hand-stitched one. (She probably told me this, but I'm sure she didn't use the terms "Gun" or "power tools"... so it didn't register.) In addition, two of my wife's long-arm clients took prizes at the show with quilts that my wife had quilted.

The following image is of the large quilt. Unfortunately the colors are a little washed-out in this image, but you'll get the idea.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:30:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:50:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SP1Grrl:
Wow, that's gorgeous! Your wife has a long arm? Did you give it a room of it's own? I'd love to have a long arm, but we just don't have the space for it. Oh, or the $13k, either.

Thanks! The longarm is a little over 14' long and approximately 4' wide at it's widest point. I think she bought it from an outfit in TX (Linda's Electric Quilters as I recall) and they delivered it and set it up here in Boise. I'm in the process of putting hydraulic lifts on the legs. It really needs a large area...we pretty much changed over our whole family room into a studio. The $$$ you mention are just the beginning. Add a stitch regular, and a g'zillion accessories and you'll be pushing $20k. However, you certainly can (IMO) get going in a minimalist mode and work-up from there. My wife is a member here (Piecemaker) and has some good "Tales of the Longarm" if you're interested. Feel free to IM her.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:51:25 AM EDT
Not a quilter so don't know what a long arm is, but the quilt looks great.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:10:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrsGungho:

Following is a picture of a longarm. I think that's short for "Longarm sewing machine". It is used to apply quilting to a sandwich of piecework, batting, and backing. The quilt on the longarm in this pic is being fed from the feed roller (on the right) to the takeup roller at the left lower (largely obscured by the quilt). The longarm sewing machine (the big gray metal thing in the back) traverses from left to right (background to foreground in this pic) and then back. The longarm also moves (traverses) in the other dimension so that a 2-dimensional quilting is applied. In this pic that would mean the longarm goes from left to right.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:32:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spudgunner:

Originally Posted By MrsGungho:

Following is a picture of a longarm. I think that's short for "Longarm sewing machine". It is used to apply quilting to a sandwich of piecework, batting, and backing. The quilt on the longarm in this pic is being fed from the feed roller (on the right) to the takeup roller at the left lower (largely obscured by the quilt). The longarm sewing machine (the big gray metal thing in the back) traverses from left to right (background to foreground in this pic) and then back. The longarm also moves (traverses) in the other dimension so that a 2-dimensional quilting is applied. In this pic that would mean the longarm goes from left to right.
www.gmthreadworks.com/ArfcomImgs/Longarm_8x6.JPG

All I can say is damn. Looks like alot of work (I knew quitling was anyway) and takes alot of room. I think MrGH would be glad I never got into that hobby.
Thank you for explaining.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:41:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:12:51 PM EDT
I definately don't have a room big enough for that. Congrats on the quilts. It is really pretty.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:41:39 AM EDT
beautiful work. Congratulations. Patty
Top Top