Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2012 6:28:46 AM EDT
I was reading the local online news paper today and over the weekend there was a car jacking, bar shoot out and an armed robbery. Are you guys in small towns like mine having these issues too? It seems like this stuff has been getting worse the past 5 years or so.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
We just had a guy slit another guy's throat here in Jacksonville.  It happened at a bar downtown after the Jaguars lost to the Bears.  

We also have nightly shootings on the north and west sides of town.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#2]
when i lived in michigan(40 minutes from detroit)

everyday on the news it was shootout here, killing there, dead police officer here, carjacking over there, and they would top it of with some kind of gang shootout and innocent civilians killed..

ever since i moved to colorado the news is happy and its really nice, i have noticed that it is slowly getting worse every year. aurora shooting and hold ups and all that crap.

i live in a bigger city so i can't say for small town but it seems like people are getting worse.

especially with just normal demeanor no more waving or smiling everyone seems to love to give you the stink eye when you try to be friendly.. weird world we live in now.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#3]
in certain areas ..... nowhere near me or where I go on a daily basis .... it is mostly "contained"
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Mainly in the section 8 housing units.

You know, the land of the Obamaites.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#5]
We only have about 14k people in the town.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
A month ago someone was carjacked at Walmart

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#8]
We have our share of minor violence and a lot of thieves.  

Last week after a short car chase a police officer was forced to shoot the guy after he fired at them. Link

Maybe 2-3 miles from my house.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]
No real violence other than drunk domestics but we have had a fair share of burglaries around the county.  Anytime the economy gets this tight I feel it drives even an honest Joe to try and do some bad deeds for easy money....   We are in sad times and I hope we don't experience this violence you speak of..
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#10]
The average person would be supprised and even shocked at what goes on in "quiet, sleepy" towns.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cheri, there's only one "a" in Obamites - it's pronounced O-ba-mites

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#12]
No.

There was a local that led a drunken "High Speed Chase" down some dirt roads a while back...that's about it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#13]
nah.

i live in rural america.  we get the once in a while drug shooting or cabin break in, but thats the extent.  

most people know we are all armed.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#14]
A guy in his car got shot up about 100 feet from where I was a few days ago. Was a domestic thing. It's pretty typical here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm in a relatively rural county.  Sometime around the beginning of the year a guy kicked in a lady's door less than a mile from my house, beat the shit out of her with a cleaver, set her house on fire, drove her to an ATM in the next county where he made her withdraw the max amount, and left her for dead on the side of the road.  She was a randomly selected target, they didn't know each other whatsoever.  Her house was right next to a grocery store, and apparently he saw it as a target of opportunity.  She had just moved there a few months prior from a much more secluded house in order to be closer to people in case something bad happened.  The cops caught him in another county after somebody saw him in a convenience store, covered in blood, buying beer like nothing was wrong.

A month or two before that some gang bangers from Richmond drove out to a secluded road and attempted to execute some other gang banger they had brought with them.  They wounded him and left him for dead, but he managed to go knock on somebody's door for help.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#16]
In the college town I live in when I'm going to school there have been a number of instances of violence. There was a series of break-ins last year, two or three shootings, and then it stopped. But it just started again this fall, as there have been 3 break-ins within 2 blocks of my house in the past two months.

That's why I keep the 870 and my AR loaded next to my bed, and my doors locked all the time. I have a Doberman Pinscher too, so hopefully they notice her, and avoid that.

When I'm at "home" there's no violent crime by locals. Occasionally tourists get drunk and get stupid, but nothing significant other than that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#17]
My rural town lacks public transportation so not a whole lot.
Now towns around me is another story. Wherever section 8 is and public transportation... Coincidence?
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My rural town lacks public transportation so not a whole lot.

Now towns around me is another story. Wherever section 8 is and public transportation... Coincidence?

I second that.  Allows them to get around :(

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We just had a guy slit another guy's throat here in Jacksonville.  It happened at a bar downtown after the Jaguars lost to the Bears.  

We also have nightly shootings on the north and west sides of town.

I was stationed at Cecil Field in the late 60's ––Jax was a shit hole then and I'm sure its worse now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:17:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Every fall, there is a surge of crime because the local college attracts hoodrats from the city.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer Obamanistas
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Only about 100 people live around here (where I live).  Someone took two campaign signs (illegally posted on State roads I might add) to post targets on for practice (the plastic ones stick in the ground easily and take multiple hits).  Caused a stir among the more liberal individuals .  
I might add that I have volunteered with both parties to help pick the things up after November .
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer Obamanistas

That's OK, I suppose.  I used to use Clintonistas.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Ummm...No.

Population 1,350.....

Demographic make up- 96.07% White, 0.44% African American, 0.52% Native American, 0.52% Asian, 0.30% Pacific Islander, 1.19% from other races, and 0.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.67% of the population.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Meh...Phoenix is about normal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I live 3.5 miles north of the Detroit border. There's always someone getting shot or killed. It's pretty rough in the inner city. Around my house is fine though, just your typical drunk drivers and drug users. The typical big city problems.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Most of the crime committed in the county where I live is brought to us by our friends in a neighboring county.

They've ruined thier neighborhoods with the gangs and now they travel far and wide spreading thier crimes.

GD
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Let's see, just yesterday we had a reported 10 robberies on the campus of VCU, and a lady got shot in a shopping mall, in a decent part of town.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#30]
It's been going up the past few yrs.

Robberies,beating,steeling and killings.

Some dum dum got killed by the cops last week.

Swung a rifle at the cops and a good shoot.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Only about 100 people live around here (where I live).  Someone took two campaign signs (illegally posted on State roads I might add) to post targets on for practice (the plastic ones stick in the ground easily and take multiple hits).  Caused a stir among the more liberal individuals .  
I might add that I have volunteered with both parties to help pick the things up after November .

Good way to get cheap (free) targets,  
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Fire last week that they thought was a murder and turned out the guy killed himself.

Murder three years ago on the next block, murder, and then they torched the apartment, drug related.  Meth lab on the corner of the next block, hooker on the corner of the two main drags nearest me, a few years ago we had a cross-dressing, drug dealing sex offender get arrested.

And that's just the stuff in my little suburb of Chicago.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We only have about 14k people in the town.

I have a good idea where you are located. My brother is an LEO just south of you.
According to him and others what you see in the papers and on the news does not even scratch the surface of what is going on around here.
Crime has been on the rise it seems since i moved out here about 14 years ago, and  Katrina migration did not help but it was on this path even without that.
He says the majority of the criminals here are getting that big city criminal mindset now. Not good if you ask me, and the lack of media coverage is only making for more uninformed / unprepaired victims.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#34]
A slight uptic in domestics lately - nothing that could even be called a trend, but somewhat expected demographically.  

I chose the area after running 37 different factors in a massive GIS database, and at the time gave my wife a prediction sheet on crime, family drama, political swing, etc. - So far I have been, in the immortal words of Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinnie, "Dead on balls accurate" (it's an industry term).
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Let's see, just yesterday we had a reported 10 robberies on the campus of VCU, and a lady got shot in a shopping mall, in a decent part of town.  

No, a lady twisted her ankle trying to get away, and a guy caught a ricochet to the leg.  And Regency has only in the last few years started to turn around its ghetto image.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Yup seems more shooting and gang stuff. Read in the paper this morning, a few weeks ago this person got shot in his house, he died and on the same street last night another house was shot up on that street. I think they're looking for someone.

Someone got shot in the leg over the weekend. Seems like more houses have been shot into the past few months and not all have been what you call the bad side or town.

I was talking to my dad and he said last week he noticed some people doing some strange stuff(late at night) a few houses up from him that had new neighbors,he had the lights out so they couldn't see him looking through the door window. Said he mentioned to policeman that attends our church after it happened more than once. Said for me to watch my back if I came over late, to make sure know one tried to rob or shoot me in the back of my head. Joke and told him I always look when I get out and  I hope I'm a better shot, him and my mom plan to finally go get their permit.

I usually carry a G19 & pocket a P238 but next month I'm really thinking about carrying my AR around in a bag for a few days depending on how this election goes or this economy over the holidays. I think I'm going to convert one of my duffle bags and put foam in it.
I wouldn't mind having this until I heard the price at the end. I normally carry a backpack or dufflle bag to work
This one doesn't stand out like some of the others. I may measure my AR broken down and go bag shopping and rig up my own.

Yeah yeah,where do I go that I think I'll need a rifle. Hopefully no where
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#37]
In my town of ~45,000 (with another town of about 20,000 right next to us) the biggest violent news I can find for the last week or so is they arrested a guy for burglarizing 2 businesses, and some crackhead robbed a Family Dollar store, then forced the clerk to be his getaway driver.  

Other than that, bitching about road construction, retirees worried about pensions....blah blah.

Now, about 25 miles away there's another town who reported 11 Burglaries (of vehicles and homes), 2 "assault by strangulation" events , 2 stolen motorcycles and a stolen car, and an aggrivated assault.

That was all over the weekend, just Saturday and Sunday.

I may just throw a J frame in my pocket for the occasional run around town here, but I never go over there without at least a Glock 19 and an extra magazine.  Crazy ass town.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, a lady twisted her ankle trying to get away, and a guy caught a ricochet to the leg.  And Regency has only in the last few years started to turn around its ghetto image.

Regency is getting worse. It was okay maybe 5 years ago.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#39]
It's not bad where I'm at, but across the river there are beatings, assaults, murders, arson, and assassinations galore.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#40]
with a population of only  3,228 our biggest problems involve stupid.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Regency and VCC are both full of ghetto goblins.

The bigger news is the guy that got shot and killed in his car in the Shrader/Parham area a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#42]
up tick in panhandling, shoplifting, scams, the economy is tight. weather is changing, it gets earlier every year it seems. i'm seeing a lot of 1st time offenders with decent backgrounds, home life, etc.
being on the edge of a ghetto ghost town, somehow signals the wolves to come down from the hills, bother decent folks, and then scurry back to there lil "obama den" they've created
i just call that job security.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I normally carry a backpack or dufflle bag to work
This one doesn't stand out like some of the others. I may measure my AR broken down and go bag shopping and rig up my own.
Yeah yeah,where do I go that I think I'll need a rifle. Hopefully no where

That is why you need to do the following:

1) Buy an AK
2) Take up tennis

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was reading the local online news paper today and over the weekend there was a car jacking, bar shoot out and an armed robbery. Are you guys in small towns like mine having these issues too? It seems like this stuff has been getting worse the past 5 years or so.

I live outside Tulsa Ok and my little town has just as many rapes, shootings and burglary. I know sevral people that have had their door kicked in in the middle of the day in the past year alone.

Fuckin gangs. People stay away from my home, though. I think it's the four chows that roam the yard.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that's when it peaked, right after the renovation they did.  I used to spend a lot of money at the Sears there when I lived in the Museum District.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#46]
If it wasn't for setting up speed traps, I wouldn't know what the cops around here do for a living.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Regency and VCC are both full of ghetto goblins.

The bigger news is the guy that got shot and killed in his car in the Shrader/Parham area a couple days ago.

How about the guy who got killed in front of his apartment in Jackson Ward (duh) trying to kick out party crashers?  link

I lived a couple blocks from there for two years trying my hand at regentrifying the area.  It didn't work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How about the guy who got killed in front of his apartment in Jackson Ward (duh) trying to kick out party crashers?  link

I lived a couple blocks from there for two years trying my hand at regentrifying the area.  It didn't work.

Uninvited guests in Jackson Ward results in a shooting.

This is my shocked face.

A guy getting shot 2 blocks from the Henrico police station is a much bigger deal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Chattanooga is really struggling!
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#50]
A cop car drove down my block in July
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top