Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2014 5:30:08 PM EDT
This should be interesting....

Let's not fool ourselves, though. Vinyl is great, but the idea that its sound quality is superior to that of uncompressed digital recordings is preposterous. They sound different, and that's exactly the point.

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/19/5626058/vinyls-great-but-its-not-better-than-cds
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
bah why do you need a freaking cd?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
CD's can sound better if the guy who remixed it did not screw it up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
what is physical media?

been mp3 only since 2000 (last time i bought a cd)
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
All I remember about the vinyl era was that you had to have a "diamond stylus" to be one of the cool kids

Oh, and a decent sized "record collection" would take up about four book shelves.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
When played in comparison in a very good audio system, one capable of rendering dimensionality to the soundstage, the analog vinyl version of the same recording/mix will always sound more 3 dimensional.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Back in the late 60s my brother had an under the dash record player that played 45s, It skipped a lot !
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back in the late 60s my brother had an under the dash record player that played 45s, It skipped a lot !
View Quote

Ya think?

8 track tapes were fun too.  Sometimes they couldn't fit an entire song into a single track, so there would be a track change in the middle of the song.

Like this:

"Smooooooke on the water!  And fire in the sky!"  <pause> CA-CHUNK! </pause>  "Smoooooke on the water!"

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I play vinyl in the reloading room.  My setup is an Adcom amp and pre amp, Thorens turntable, Bozak speakers and a Dennon receiver.  The sound is superb.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Vinyl is best through the right system.

CD's win for ease of use and storage. Sound quality is not bad either but some are better than others.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I like to buy vinyl, especially from Amazon because it usually comes with Autorip.  That way I get physical media, a copy in the Amazon cloud player for my phone/computer and (usually) a download card that I can hand off to a friend.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I grew up with hard disk 78's, then 45's, and 33.3 LP's - then eight track, cassette, and finally CD's.
Downloaded digital media always did and always will suck.

Personally I still have several dozen vinyl albums, several shoe boxes of cassettes, and even a bunch of eight track cassettes.

Occasionally I'll pull out my turn table and listen to vinyl but honestly, I prefer the actual real reproduced recorded sound on CD's, not the botched up sound of vinyl.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ya think?

8 track tapes were fun too.  Sometimes they couldn't fit an entire song into a single track, so there would be a track change in the middle of the song.

Like this:

"Smooooooke on the water!  And fire in the sky!"  <pause> CA-CHUNK! </pause>  "Smoooooke on the water!"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya think?

Like this:

And then they'd get eaten !
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

When played in comparison in a very good audio system, one capable of rendering dimensionality to the soundstage, the analog vinyl version of the same recording/mix will always sound more 3 dimensional.
View Quote

More 3 dimensional, eh?

ETA: Is there some way to measure dimensionality in music?

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I play vinyl in my man cave / reloading room also.

But the first time I listened to a CD with headphones on I was blown away with the clarity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I play vinyl in the reloading room.  My setup is an Adcom amp and pre amp, Thorens turntable, Bozak speakers and a Dennon receiver.  The sound is superb.

<a href="http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/apemanwithferaldog/media/0119141852a_zps01db8209.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff510/apemanwithferaldog/0119141852a_zps01db8209.jpg</a>  

I play vinyl in my man cave / reloading room also.

But the first time I listened to a CD with headphones on I was blown away with the clarity.
When I was a kid I had to listen to music with headphones because my dad was a cop that worked rotating shifts.  When he was on 3rds there was a no noise policy in the house.  I got so sick of having them on my head I dont think I could wear them now without having a flashback and freaking out.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#16]
CDs all the way, vinyl is a PITA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#17]
CD audio quality is better. That isn't debatable. I really like the sound of vinyl though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate to say it, but I'm sorry but that is pure BS.
The pure mechanics of how vinyl is mastered renders your statement inaccurate.
But I am not discounting or ignoring what you like to listen to....
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is true, but most people will never experience that.

I have a fairly high end stereo system (about 15K between the amps and speakers, at retail pricing) but my turntable

is just a Technics unit from the late 80s,  which is a better 'table than the "average' consumer would have bought.

The Ortofon cartridge in it is worth more than the turntable cost.

With the right recording under the needle, the room just disappears.  You hear a soundstage that sounds bigger

than the confines of the room the system is in.

I've never yet heard a CD pull off that trick.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have a fairly high end stereo system (about 15K between the amps and speakers, at retail pricing) but my turntable
is just a Technics unit from the late 80s,  which is a better 'table than the "average' consumer would have bought.

With the right recording under the needle, the room just disappears.  You hear a soundstage that sounds bigger

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do agree with this statement....

Each format has its charms, and their overall differences in quality are often overwhelmed by differences in the quality of initial recording equipment, in mastering approaches, and in playback setup.
But if you're a vinyl collector, you also shouldn't go around telling your friends how much purer your audio is.
First off, that's generally dickish behavior, but more to the point it's false.
Digital recording just is more accurate.
That's not the only thing worth considering by any means, but it does make the puritanism of some vinyl true believers look rather ridiculous.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top